Monday, July 23, 2012

Bravo group Day 3


We woke at 7:30 today and we ate a breakfast of bread, ham, and boiled eggs. Our morning PT was a bit different than other times. We were given three minutes to change into clothes that were fit to go into the water with, as that was exactly what we would do later on in the day. Most of us changed into our wetsuits, while some of us stuck to regular clothes. Nevertheless, we began our morning PT, all involving water—our normal jerry can exercise, but with pots without lids, filled to the brim with water, and a defensive exercise in which we linked arms in a circle and tried to prevent some others from breaking through and entering the circle.

We then grabbed a fibreglass kayak and carried it down to Lake Ontario. We started some exercises in the water in the guise of races between Alpha and Bravo teams—swimming out to a certain point in a relay race; we first started off individually, then started doing our man-overboard exercise by linking arms tightly as we’d done this morning as small, 4-man squads. After, we had a quick break for lunch of hot dogs before heading back down to the lake again with 2 fibreglass kayaks. This time, we did capsizing practice. We had to climb up into the kayak while it was in the water, and then when the kayak was flipped over, we had to hit the side of the kayak 3 times in a row, then swim out. It was a maneuver that proved a bit more difficult for some of us than we thought.

We then played monkey in the middle in the water with a volleyball. Then, before we headed back to our camp site, we did a final man-overboard exercise with all 18 of us. Our dinner of noodles and some sort of delicious sauce, chicken, and broccoli, was cooked by our instructors: Raymond, Kenny, and Billy. We will be having a campfire later on. Tomorrow, we’ll be on the water again; this time, on kayaks!

Jennifer

My laptop battery is dying, so I will focus mostly on reflection. The general blog up there should be enough for a run-through of today’s events. Today’s events were fun, as well as a great learning experience for me. Strategy and teamwork were a big one in our PT this morning. We had to organize our teams so that our lines would not be broken through, then we had to work together to stick to the plan. When it was my turn to try to break through the circle, I found that the team had many weaker links, but they were all supported well, so it was a real challenge to get though (but a challenge that I succeeded at)!

I was actually very scared when I was in the kayak, about to be flipped over. I become very frantic when my head goes underwater without my intent, so I was sort of panicking when I went under. I will definitely work on that. The man-overboard drill was very interesting, as we really had to work together to turn and whatnot. I thought of it as practice for the one that us leaderships will be doing in the very-near future.

Alastair

Today was a tiring day, well for most of the students anyways. The water doesn’t bother me anymore…. Anyways, today we spent the day doing water safety drills, practice, and games. I was there for safety most of the time, with the life ring and a rope, ready to throw it when needed. It reminded me of my lifeguarding training, when we used similar flotation devices to tow people back to the shore or the poolside. Good times…. Anyways, it highlights the safety theme of today, having people on safety. We did kayak capsizing, man overboard drills, swimming tests, and more all in preparation for tomorrow’s kayaking (I think..)

Edwin Lo

Today, I woke up at half past seven. Then we do a pt with the cold wate. And we got all wet. It was very cold. After that, I have a breakfast with one egg, two bread, and two ham. It was full. Then, we chance our clothes to wetsuite and we walk to the beach and go to swim. It was many wave, but I also feel very fun. at one o’clock I have a hot dog luch. I ate two. After, the lunch I go back to the water again. It was fun. I was very tired today.

Calvin

I think that I am sick right now. I have had this bad cough since I went into the water. The overall activities today went over pretty well. The only thing that I overlooked was how the students clean up after themselves. Billy had noticed several candy and straw wrappers on the floor. I need to make sure the students clean up properly next time. I am giving them 35 pushups as punishment. I hope that after that punishment that they will not forget to clean up next time.

Jacky

A day of swimming was all we did today. Man overbord, cap-sizing and races. Swallowing water was also the main thing I did. I was assisting in the cap-sizing and also the races. I spent all my time in the water and I feel sick at the moment. I believe Icaught a cold, but I have to continue on the help because I am willing toassist the students to learn. The food today was very good and I feel very tired, I think I should rest early today.
Edwin Cheung

Today, is July 23, the second days in the Darlington. I woke up at 6:00 at head to random bathroom of my brushing my teeth. Later the day, we went to the beach and did some kayaking safety for kayaka and some team work race. Today, I learn “teamwork”. I learn I am not long us to the water the sea water.

Ryan

Today we got into the water and it was like the usual really wet. We ate a breakfast of ham eggs and really drive bread. We then walked to the lake and swam around adjusting our body heat. We then grouped up and Billy taught us the group man overboard. It was difficult to organise it but it worked out in the end. He then got us in to our groups and did some relay racing. After lunch we did a couple more drills and did free time. Free time I tried to orgainze a game but it did not succeed. I do hope I can in the future.

Alan

Today we went seimming almost all day. When we woke up we had some fun with cold water we all got wet after that we went swimming. We did activites in the water. After we swam we ate lunch after lunch we took a breack. Then we went back to swimming. After that we went to shower and we are about to have dinner.

Henry

Today was my the second day in the camp, Today was sunny. I woke up at 7:00 pm, I ate ham, bread and egg it was very yummy. I wore my wetsuit and I forgot to putting on sunscreen. After we ate the breakfast, when I arrived to the beach we walked to the water, it was very exciting. At that time, I wanted to tell me dad “dad, I can do it.” We ate hotdog for our lunch.. I ate four hotdogs, because I was hungry.

Jason Wang

Today is day number 2 of this week long camp and day 3 overall for the Bravo rotation. Today we had a swimming test and the capsize training for the kayak. The swimming test and kayak capsize training were both fun but I had already done those tests before so I didn’t really learn anything new from these tests, but during the tests Billy told us that people should keep our allies and friends close and didn’t let any forces pull them apart.

Jonathan

Today, on the third day, we were in the water on the beach all day. We were all soakin’ wet. We did a bunch of things such as: man overboard training, games, canoe exercises and more. Also, we did some crawling on grass and getting hit with a cold shower of water in a bucket. Tomorrow, more manoverboard training on the boat.

Jason Wong

This morning we had morning PT which was carring pots or jerry can out side a circle once. We also military prone crawling under people stomach (people are in pushup position but higher. ) the final games was invasion. We had boiled eggs, ham with bread, after breakfast we went to the bewach to do some swimming test like group swim. For lunch we had hotdog. After lunch we did man overboard drills (kayaking).

Quince

Today si the day where we go on the water. It is the first day we go on the water in this camp. We ate breakfast and near the lifejackets and helmets. Then we set off to the lake and start the activities. The lake’s name is called lake Ontario. The lake is very ruff plus fun. we first start of a thing that I forgot, then fun. pushing others on the water. Then three relays, two relays we won and one tie. Then lunch we have thirty minites free time. Then we go back to the water and do some man overboard, we played a game after we finish all of the challenge. It is call monkey in the middle, then we go back and have dinner. OK, Done.

Peggy

It seem so peaceful now that the day’s event’s slowing down. Sitting at the picnis tables surrounded by green foresting with the cool breeze blowing, it’s hard to beliebe that just this morning we were subjected to some interesting, wet physical training. Yes. Wet. Nearly half od the group changed to their wet suits for it. Can you imagine stripping off the cloths you’re wearing and struggling onto a wetsuit inside a tent in 3 minutes? Especially if you’re a girl? It can be a challende in itself, more so when wet. For PT we ran with water, poured water on each other, crawled on the ground with rainbowed over us, got water poured on us, and worked on our teamwork. The rest of the day was spent on water, we swam, learned man overboard and learned how to somewhat protect ourselves in case we get stranded in the middle of the ocean and decrease our changes of getting hyperthermia. Apparently we’re being punished for forgetting to throw out our straw wrappers… drats.

Edwin Chan

Today is the second day of camp and our plan is spend most of the day in water but before that we did some physical training. We spent an hour training which was pretty fun. after out training we wert ole how to put on a life-jacket. We took one of the kayak and not use it yet. After staying at the beach for 2 hours we head back to camp for lunch. When we finished our lunch we head back to the beach and brought two kayaks. With the two kayak we learned how to recover after flipping over. In the end we end up playing monkey in the middle in the lake.

Ryan .Sun

今天在水里的时间比在陆地上的时间还要长。在有用势力很牛逼的我来到这个巨大的湖里也束手无策。
今天是我目前人生中最累的一天,突然发现从前抱怨的都不算什么了。。。,。。。。。。

Grace                                                                                                                                                    

用一个字形容今天的经历,累,两个字,很累,三个字,特别累,四个字,真心的累,五个字,特别特别累。。。。。。。。。。。
一下省略2000字。。。。
省略的回复可见。。。。。(你信吗?????????)

Cedric                                                                                                                                                   

一大早就被乌鸦叫醒起床,我很高兴也以为大家制做早餐,内容是一片火腿和2粒鸡蛋。今日的活动分为两大部分,非别在下午和上午进行。完成早餐后我们搬了船到湖边,还有水上装备(潜水衣,救生衣和头盔)。在水上进行了很多竞赛(团队及个人)和水上翻船自我救生,总之两个字:晒,累。我需要一个好的睡眠今晚。,
                                                                                            


5 comments:

  1. wow that is surprising PT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great and tired day!
    Jason, Eventhough the activities you have done so many times and are good at them, by doing with different people and situations , I believe you will have different comprehensions each time. After fulfilling your personal skills, they would help you build up your leadership abilities.
    Calvin and Jacky, hope you are not under the weather.
    Jenn, after a whole water day exercise, have you found your all water skills back? Enjoy the next few days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edwin Cheung
    Hi Edwin, are u well ? Did you kayak of swim or giving back up support on the beach ?
    Hope you enjoy it !
    Mom

    ReplyDelete