Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Alpha Group / Me3 Foundation Day 12


Early day today, we all woke up at 5:30 today and slowly cleaned up our beds and the apartment. We got to the HQ to quickly pack up our belongings, and headed to the main event of the day, Treetop Trekking! Treetop Trekking is essentially an obstacle course, involving many different bridges high up in the air, many of them being no more than a wire from one tree to the next. We were all nervous as we arrived on the first obstacle course, and as we slowly made our way up, testing every step, and cautiously attaching our harnesses. As we made it past the first obstacle, we slowly gained confidence until we could all walk across a tightrope as if it were solid ground. Many of us overcame deep fears of heights today, but we are proud to announce that none of us gave into our fears, and we all managed at least two intermediate level obstacle courses finished. After the obstacles, we all lined up to go on the Big Zip, a very long zip line in which riders experience speeds up to 45 km/h. It was an exhilarating and new experience, because many of us had never done something like this before. We all settled down for a quick lunch, and then we headed to Vaughn Mills mall, for a shopping trip. We split the girls and the boys up, and started our shopping trip. We shopped for three hours, starting at 4:00 and finishing at 7:00, and we made our way to First Markham place for dinner (with some strangely light wallets). After an amazing dinner, we got back to HQ, and prepared for the night. Anyways, this is it for today, so good night, and we’ll continue to upload tomorrow.



Crystal

Today is day 12 of camp. We mainly went to 2 places, Treetop trekking and shopping at Vaughan Mills. This morning we woke up really early, because we had to arrive at Treetop trekking by a specific time. I was nervous and excited because I am terrified of heights, but excited because it is my first time. When we arrived, we had to sign a waiver, then a guide taught us how to use the harness, how to use the tree games and the rules . I went on a total of 2 courses, the red and blue one. I was scared, but was looking forward to the Big Zip. Big Zip is the huge zip line that stretches across the park. Then after we were all done, we had ham sandwiches for lunch. After lunch we all decided to go to Vaughan Mills to shop. When arrived at Vaughan Mills, we split into two groups: boys and girls. We had 3 hours of shopping time. My group had circled the whole entire mall within 2 hours. I splurged on a lot of useless stuff. I don’t have any more money left. I had fun today.

Quince

Today is the exciting day. We went to horseshoe to the treetop trekking. Scary +fun. So that =to exciting. Well we only go to the following colors: red, blue, yellow and green except purple and black is for pro people. Not everybody can go to purple and black. I did all of the colors except for purple and black; because we don’t have time.  We only have 3 hours and 50 minutes a color.  The red color is the hardest for me.  We woke up at 5:30 AM we also have a long zip.  You put thing on rope, hold on rope, through the whole line and say good-bye, and then you get off the platform and got off.  It take about 1 minute to do it.  I wanted to do it again and I can’t, then we just walked around. We almost can play go-kart, when we know that it is gone, it make to lego land.  No offense, but I hate that happening, that is why I feel so bored there.  The shopping mall is called formulae.  Tomorrow is choice day plus CPR test. Death trap.  If we didn’t do it before 12 PM.  We go to Wonderland or IMAX after.  If we go to IMAX, we will watch spiderman the violent one.  I watch tomorrow.  Because everyone will try to do it after 12 except me, because I want to go to wonderland.  BYE.  P.S  We have lunch after the big zip with strawberries.

Mike

It was five in the morning when Calvin, one of the leaderships, waked me up.  I opened my eyes for a few seconds, and then closed them.  When they opened again, it was already 5:15 AM, which meant I only had 45 minutes left to get ready.  When I finished, it was 5:50 AM.  I was still tired, so I sat in bed drowsily.  By the time I was focused, we were already at the treetop trekking place.  We learned where to put and how to use the carabineers, how to fall, how to put on a harness etc.  This made sure we all understood the safety rules and made the risk of us being injured smaller.  During treetop trekking, although my legs were sometimes jelly-like, I still did the trek and I was successful.  There was also a zip line course named the Big Zip.  It was basically just a huge zip line from one end to the other.  When I was on the Big Zip, apart from having fun, I thought that it would be cool and convenient if Hong Kong had zip lines between buildings.  The only problem they would have is weather and fear of heights.  After the trek, we went shopping for three hours, where a toy shotgun and a chair kept me company.

Alexandra

Today is day 12.  For breakfast, we had cheese with crackers and milk.  I was lactose intolerant, so after I drank a little bit of milk, I had cramps and a stomachache.  After that, we went to a treetop trekking place.  We arrived there around 9 AM.  We got bracelets blue and yellow, the yellow bracelet people got to go on purple and black.  We went on some obstacles and it was fun.  It taught me how to be more confident, stronger and not be afraid of heights.  We were on a wire or a zip line etc. 30 feet high.  I never went tree trekking thing.  Before that there was a person who was teaching the safety rules and steps.  I think this is useful because it wouldn’t be so dangerous, like people falling, people fooling around and too many people being on a platform at the same time.  We first went on a training beginner obstacle course.  It was easy.  But then we went from green to blue.  It was a big difference, at the end, we went on a huge zip line.  I wanted to go first or second, because a lot of people wanted to go last.  It was fun.  After that, we went to Vaughen Mills. At around 4 PM, I learned that I needed to save money and not want to get whatever I see that I like.  After that, we had dinner at United Brothers, it was good.  Tomorrow, we are going to do the CPR test.  I’m scared, very scared.  Then, we are going to a IMAX theatre.  It is my first time.  We are going to watch spider man.

James

Today, surprisingly was fun.  The whole Monticle group went to horseshoe adventure park to go tree trekking.  I was dangling from 15-25 meters, and I am very scared of height, so I was complaining so much.  After I went, most of the courses, I am still. Afraid. Of heights.  We came back to Monticle HQ around 9:10 PM, and I got some awesome present from my parents, the excitement I got after opening up the yellow envelope was undescribable.  P.S  I like this camp.  Thank Mom and Dad,

Kendra

Today is day 12 of camp.  I got woken up really early today around 5:00 AM.  AGHH!!  So tired!  I t seems like vacation, when like you have to wake up really early to catch your flight.  We wnet back to HQ to pack up food and other supplies.  We had a long drive, until we arrived at HORSESHOE ADVENTURE PARK for treetop tekking.  I didn’t really imagine it like this, the treetop trekking was not like I imagined.  We started the courses, and some were scary but some weren’t.  This feeling is like when I do a test and I’m scared of what’s going to happen. I got to finish 2 courses and at the end I went on the BIG ZIP. It’s a huge zimpline across the whole park. We had a decent lunch, but  not the best. 30 mins we then had for free time. All I did was just wait, just like waiting for boarding my plane. Next, we went to Vaughan Mills and did some sopping like when I shop with my mom. We then headed back and went to first Markham place to eat, just like yesterday. UHH!! L The mean was fine, and that’s the end of my day.

Yereem

“Come ON! You’re soooo slow.  Hurry up a bit, could you?”  That was what I always said to the people in front of me when I had to wait for them in the first part of the game.  I was not patient, and I was rushing and urging them to hurry.  But, the more I got into a game, the more I found out that if you encourage them, they will feel supported and will go faster.  Encouraging and being patient with your group mates is a big part of leadership; rushing and urging them will never help --- it will just make them feel bad.  That was a very important lesson I learnt today.

Jonathan

Today, we went and drove over to the Horseshoe Valley Resort in Barrie to do some treetop trekking. The experience was great. After the trekking was complete, we walked over to a place and ate lunch there. The taste of the food was okay. After that, we drove down to the Vaughan Mills Shopping Centre to spend on stuff. I didn’t buy anything good. The mall inside was very big and very tired to walk in. Later after that, we ate at the United Brothers CafĂ© Restaurant in First Markham Place. The taste of the food they made was delicious. Tomorrow is the CPR test day. Right now, I’m very tired and I can’t write anymore. So good night and see you tomorrow for the test.

Jason

We woke up at 5:00 am. This morning and left the apartment for 6:30 a.m. We didn’t eat on the road instead we ate at HQ. I slept most of the drive to Horseshoe Resort. We had to learn about safety rules and sign a safety waive. I only went to two easy courses. I had two mistakes (breaking rules) by having bo0oh carribans not attached to the rope with read tape two times. So I learned to be more cautious about safety and may be a habit. So I couldn’t do anymore because there can only be two mistakes but Raymond and Billy wanted me to the big zip. We ate lunch at the hill. After lunch we went shopping for 3 hours at Vaughn Mills mall. I had some kfc before dinner at the mall. I bought my final gift for the special someone and it will be the last thing I will buy for a while. We had dinner at the same restaurant and had some different dishes. 

Christina

Today we went  to tree top trecking and ziplining at horseshoe resort. I was very excited to go on the courses but got harder and challenginger like at school when your on a exam theres no going back and no skipping. The treetop trecking was obstacles that if you go on you can’t go back! The funniest part on horseshoe valley was the big zipline at the end. It was really fun! Thanks mom for the letter. I really liked it , and don’t worry about your spelling problems. I really miss you to!!!

Howard

Today, another day of the Me3 leadership camp, has just ended today, in the morning, we went treetop trekking in horseshoe valley. However, because the location of the valley/ resort id very far away, we had to wake up at 5:30 am in the morning. Despite this, we were shaken awake at 5’0 clock by Calvin. The scheduled time in which Billy was to pick us up was at 6 so we ended  up having an hour of preparation, something only the girls needed. (Why does it take so long for them to prepare?) Eventually, the scheduled was moved to 6:35 which meant an entire hour and a half of waiting. I should’ve just kept sleeping… Then we went treetop trekking and the Vaughan Mall. I’m about to run out of space for writing so I’ll end this now, I’ll write more tomorrow. P.S. My pen is running out of ink.

Marco

Today was a very hard day. We went to the treetop treaking at the morning. Almot to the afternoon. We had to climb very very high and do some obsicle coruses. It was kind of hard and tired. Mt hand really hurts a lot after the tree top treaking, because we had to hold in to wires. My favorite obsicle was the zipline. We had to attack a pully to the wire. But there is a nickname for the pully. It is called a underwear. It’s called underwear, because it goes to the wire first, but it goes out last. Just like a underwear. There is also a guy called Bert. He told us the instructions to us. He told us that the 3 main rules are always be attached. 2. Always always be attached.3. Always Always Always be attached. I had so much pressure, because I am really scared of heights and I am in a high place. Then we went to go shopping in a mall called Vaughan mills really. I did not buy anything, because there is nothing good for my family and for me too. So I just walked for 3 hours. Mike bought a book only. After the 3 hours, my legs are dead. But the girls has so many things when the boys has nothing in their hands. At last, we finally ate dinner. We ate the same restaurant as yesterday. We were suppose to eat the leftovers from yesterday, but Raymond ate all the leftovers. The dinner was still very yummy. But yesterdays dinner is still yummier. I also lost a tooth while eating lunch. So the tooth I lost today is called my lucky tooth. So I hope my lucky tooth gives me goo luck. Alexandra also helped me to try to get all the blood away. But the wiping did not really worked. The blood is still in my tooth. It also helped to make my tooth more shinyer. My tooth was a bit yellow. I think today is the most tirering day in the whole Monticle summer camp. I just hope I can pass the CPR test tomorrow. So we can watch The amazing Spiderman in I max 3D. the movie will be super awesome. I also really miss my family. We will also go to Kendra’s and Crystal’s house tomorrow for dinner. Our dinner is barbeque. I think it would be very yummy.

Tiffany

Over my days in Monticle, I have been through a lot. Emotional crisis, dears, pressure crisis, embarrassment, fun joy, laughter, socialization, comfort, but today it was adventure. Today was a day of treetop trekking, a day of facing fears, a day of courage, a day of shopping, a day of awesomeness. I was looking down from a 30-meter tree, gulping down saliva, hoping courage would strike me. There were obstacles everywhere, challenges that required bravery and the skill to conquer fear, which I learnt from today, am I a risk taker? Am I the one who is brave enough to be the first to experience? Am I fit to be a leader? I reflected deeply within and saw myself going through obstacles and the reason of me coming to Monticle. I crawled through obstacles and reached three wooden tubes. Was I supposed to go into the barrels? Or was I supposed to walk through? I decided to crawl, but reached a point where I realized my mistake. I didn’t pay attention to detail, for red tape was placed above me that symbolizes path. I guess I could work on that. Afterwards we visited the Horseshoe Ville, which we trekked in. We had some simple lunch, and free time for fun and discussion on the plans for the coming days. Then we headed towards the Vaughan Mills for shopping! On the ride there I counted my money and realized my budget was low, so I decided to save some money for a rainy day. As I walked through the mall with my team of girls, I saw certain things I liked, but was it necessary? Was it really what I wanted? What should I do with it if I owned it? Fortunately those questions saved me a lot of money! I think I learnt a lot today, both skill and budgeting, and I can’t wait for tomorrow ‘s knowledge to be filled in my mind! Currently I’m feeling kind of down almost having to leave Canada and my dear friends, but on the other hand I’m happy to meet my family. Ironic isn’t it? Well, I guess I have to go study now, for my coming CPR test, I don’t just want to pass, I want perfection! Anyway, I had a wonderful, amazing experience today!


Geoffrey

Today when I finished breakfast in HQ in the early mornings. Then we were heading to the tree Top Trekking park! I did the green (beginners), then the yellow (more challenge), at last the big zip! I pretty liked the height and I liked the adventure stuff .  You had to pay attention to details to safety and regulations, and I remembered the most important rule, always attached, always always attached,and always always always attached. If you didn’t get attached the lock to the wires, you may falloff from the height. I learned that speed is not important, but the most important thing is safety. I liked the big Zip because I liked the wind blowing my face and the speed. After lunch, we went to Vaughn Mills, a super big shopping mall. I bought some camping items for hiking uses. At last we ate dinner! I hope I can pass my CPR test.

























































































































































3 comments:

  1. Tiffany, I miss you! I know you will come back with a stronger body and soul. Can't wait to see and hug you. Love! Mom Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geoffrey's dad,mom and GabrielJuly 12, 2012 at 9:33 AM

    Hi Geoffrey, how exciting for the treetop adventure and you must have a fun shopping trip at the big mall. So see you tomorrow and we all miss you so much.

    ReplyDelete