Saturday, July 21, 2012

Bravo group Day 1

Morning PT today consisted of two games of soccer, or rather, for those who know it differently, association football. In the first game, the leaderships played against the newcomers, with the leaders winning 10-1. In the second game, however, the players were shuffled into two separate teams. We weren’t as used to each other, and so, the game was a bit more even, the score at the final whistle being 2-2. We will have time over the next few days to get to get to know one another more.

When we came back to HQ, we had a lecture in the classroom on Monticle 101, that is to say we became more acquainted with what Monticle is, does, the people behind the organization, as well as the building and safety information such as instructor and emergency phone numbers.

We went out to a sports store, “Sail,” to buy the final essentials (wetsuits, water shoes, sandals) for any students that still needed them. After, we ate a hot dog lunch at Costco while some of us went to shop for the food that we will need on the camping trip we leave for tomorrow. The others that were not shopping went to a nearby movie theatre to take shelter from the heat outside, and ended up playing on some arcade games.

When we regrouped, we headed back to HQ for a CPR lecture, in which we learned CPR for an adult, child, and infant, as well as how to assist a choking person. We practised CPR on mannequins, and the recovery position (to prevent an unconscious person from choking on their own vomit) on a partner. We also practised using an AED on the mannequins, which were quite unresponsive, as you can imagine. We were tested on the information from our Monticle 101 lecture, and then had a dinner of buttered bread and rotisserie chicken.

We will be going to sleep now, because we are heading out early on in the morning tomorrow. More to come!

Edwin Lo

I slept at Monticle yesterday and woke up at 7:00 o’clock. After, I needed ot set up the thing to eat the breakfast and have a meeting. After, I have a football race my team were lose at 10:1, but it was lucky it was the frist race/ at the second race, we are darw. Then, I went back to HQ I have a Monticle 101 lesson. After, we went to sail to buy the wetsuit and wetshoes. Then, we went to Costco to eat the lunch. It was very yum. Then half of us went to IMAX to play some game. It was very funny. When I went back to Monticle I have to lean GPR for child, adult, and baby. It was diffecent. After this I have a 101 test. It was very bord.

Jacky

Today is the first day of the bravo group and I think it went very well. We started the day with a soccer game and the new group lost 10-1, as we changed the teams and players the groups played a lot better because we actually communicated with each others. As the day progressed we bought more food for camp and learnt CPR. As they were learning I was assisting Billy with rentals and equipment. I also participated in the CPR halfway through. Hope the next couple of days will be fun and more entertaining.

Jason Wong

Today was the first day of Bravo group. We had breakfast which was bread with ham and butter. After breakfast we cleaned up and went to the soccerfield for PT.  The PT was socce, the first game was seniors against students. we the seniors won 10-1 and had a second game but mixed of seniors and students for two teams. The second game we tied 2-2. We went back to HQ to do Monticle 1 on 1. After Monticle 1 on 1 we went to Sail which is a big camping store because some students need water shoes. We had lunch at costco and I helped restock for the next 7 days. We headed back to HQ and have the students learn CPR.

Calvin

As today was the first day we have actually spent time with the new students, it was hard to communicate with each other. I was paired up with Cedric Chan last night. I have not gotten to know him well yet, but I wish that we could become friends. As Cedric is Michael Fung’s cousin I have high expectations from him. I hope that we get along as Michael and I have in the past. I was also with Cedric and his friend Ryan during the CPR lectures. Both of them seemed very excited about it. Though the both seemed very tired by the end of the lecture. I hope the camping trip would be a good experience to all of us.

Henry

I got a lot of fun today, but we didn’t go to camp, because we got to camp tomorrow. I woke up at seven o’clock then we had a meeting and had breakfast. After we had a 101 study and I learnt more about Monticle. After, we went to football grand to play the football. I felt very tired after I play the football. Then I went to buy the wetsuit. but it was very expensive. I ate a hotdog for my lunch it was very yummy. After I went back o HQ, we got a 101 test. I will sleep in the HQ again tonight. I think very interested.

Jonathan

Today on ourfirst day we played two games of soccer, in the first game, the senior team won ten-one, but in the second game, it was tied 2-2. After that, we had a test about the Monticle 101. Before that, we did CPR. It was great. The soccer game was fun. tomorrow, it is our first day in new Brunswick. P.S. we had lunch at Costco. After that, we went over to the movie theatre to play games. It was awesome. Plus, we went to buy things

Jason Wang

Today was the first day with the new students in Monticle. This morning we had PT which was a soccer game. The first match the senior students won 10 to 1 due to the fact there was poor communication within the team of newer students. This event shows that you need good communication within a group to function well. After the 1st game we had a break then had a 2nd game where we ted 2-2 which shows that the new students are beginning to communicate with one another. We also went to Costco and SAIL to buy equipment and food. When we got back we had a first aid course which is when my stomach began hurting for some reasons unknown which I expect to be the result of all the condiments I put on my food.

Quince

Today, we spent 40 minites toplay soccer. It is so fun. we ate breakfast first. After these things, we do the 101 test and do the CPR lesson again. But this time we did it in HQ because there is no time in camp. So we did it in HQ. on the first game of soccer is 10 – 1 we didn’t do the CPR test yet. But we will do it. Later on, we are going to have the test maybe .

Alan

Today we went out to play soccer. We played 2 rounds to 1 round the score od the first round was 2 -2, the first round the no strategy. The second round we had strategy. After soccer we went the the store sails. It’s a store that sells outdoor stuff. We went to cinema (a movie theater). We didn’t watch movies, we were there to play games. After playing we went back to the HQ we learned how to do CPR on an infant a kid and a adult.

Edwin Cheung

Today is July 21, 2012. I woke up at 6:30 am to get ready for day. After, we ate Breakfest. We had a presentation about Monticle 101. We learn the Rule and regulation of Monticle. Through out the afternoon we head to Sail to buy sleepbag and other acessies. Later we went to Costco to buy foogs for later camp trip and we ate hotdog lunch over at Costco. Afterword, we head back to HQ for a presentation about Adult/kid CPR AED. Today, I learn that CPR and AED course is not matter you get a CPR. Puss, if it dead is dead. There are only 3% chance that CPR will make a human came alive. I learn that no to give up when you do CPR. Don’t stop until it is alive.

Peggy

So… a reflective blog. Today was an interesting day. The new students plus Jennifer and Alister (sp??) slept at the apartment and will be sleeping there again tonight before we officially go off camping. As a form of physical training, we played soccer. The goal of the exercise was to see how well we work together and our strategy skills. With the new students vs. the old students. Being in the new students group, our strategy of basically no strategy failed considerably. We had a first terrible loss of 10 -1. I have a feeling that if we played the new students against the old students again the next time, the outcome might be different. We still might lose but it won’t be a big difference. The rest of the day was spent leaning the regulations and CPR/AED. I think the heat and A/C had given me a headache…ciaos.

Edwin Chan

Today was a fun day, we got to play soccer. We played 2 games consist of the old team and a new team, and a fused team. My first team was the new corner team who lost 10-1the fused team was better and the overall score was 2-2 and it was exhausting. When we came back to the HQ we end up leaving to go to SAIL, a store that sells outdoor equipment. After around an hour shopping we went to Costco for lunch and got hotdogs and fries. Right after we came back we learned about CPR for about 3 hours which brought back memories of when I tried for Bronze cross ( I think). After we finished we are now writing this blog. As soon as we finished we will be eating dinner/supper.

Alastair

So today was a relatively slow day, I think that the students have yet to experience the full measure of Monticle training J. Anyways, we started out with some soccer PT, and then moved on to the classroom activities. First the students learned Monticle 101, which is a course for the rules and regulations of Monticle. Meanwhile, I was working on my second chance at teaching a CPR class (the first one I failed miserably). So the class went relatively well, Raymond filled in the spots which I couldn’t remember, or just didn’t know enough. I learned a lot as well, listening to the class; I learned some new teaching techniques, some first aid that Raymond knew, and got a good idea of how my next class (if I have a next one) should be like. Anyways, that concludes my blog for today!

Ryan

Today was an introduction to Monticle and that involved a lesson. The lesson involved rules and regulations as weill as CPR. We first did PT of course and it was leadership against the new team. We of course won but then when the team got switched around it turned to a tie game. When we got back to the car we had to stock up in Costco once more. It was okay until I found out that the rest of the people went to the arcade, which is fine but meh. CPR was also interesting because Alister was the teacher. Tomorrow is camping and I am excited for what will happen.

Ryan sun

今天是参加monticle 的第一天,由于时差问题早上5点就醒了,导致下午精神不是很好。
After breakfast 我们全部人出去踢足球当作今天的锻炼,我很久没有做过剧烈运动所以很累,但是很爽。在第一场比赛我们队以10-1惨败,因为我们的战术没有布置好,团队合作不够紧密。但到了第二场,我们队的配合明显默契了很多最后以2-2结束了这场足球赛。
下午我们学习急救知识,这是我之前没有学过的东西,看似简单其实很累,当然我意识到学会这些技能的重要性,所以学得很认真,尽管到后面很困。
期待之后六天的水上活动!
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
Cedric

今天是参加monticle 的第一日,很早就起床了可能是时差的原因。我们快速完成早餐之后便出发去足球场,完成一场50分钟的足球赛之后每个人都显得非常疲劳,之后又吃了hotdog作午餐。下午两点左右回到HQ,直到七点都由导师和team leader教授我们急救的知识。现在是七点半,回顾一整天的行程,在球场上不仅加深了队员之间的team work,更与导师们建立了深厚的情感。Lunch让我了解了北美风味的美食,但让我受益最大的,是学习了如何对有生命危险的承认与婴儿进行急救,这将会非常有用,一旦我们一旦遇上生命垂危的人,救人一命胜造七级浮屠。

Grace                                                                                                                     
                                                                                                                     
今天是一个最纠结的一天(囧)。早上我被吵醒。开始是一只鸟在叫(要是让我抓到的话一定红烧了!!!)之后开始迷迷糊糊的要睡着了,有人闹钟响了啊!!!又睡不着了!!唉!!于是乎,我很伟大的从三点无聊到七点。。。。。。(表示无比的无语啊!!!)

当然了今天还是一个很有纪念意义的日子啊!!!今天,我竟然踢了足球!!!很神奇啊!!!跑得很累啊!!!但是我觉得自己已经很厉害了,因为今天是我第一次踢足球。一个悲催中带有各种欢乐的早上就这样轰轰烈烈的结束了。。。。。。

下午我们在学习急救的方法,开始我觉得以后要是看见马路上有人倒了下来,我就很有可能可以去救他了!!!多么激动人心啊啊啊啊啊!!!不过在学习中,我发现各种累人啊!!!也各种雷人啊啊啊!!!我们学习了各种人工呼吸法和急救方法。

一转眼间,一天就过去了,在这一天中,我经历了一些我从未经历过的事,也学了一些我所不知道的知识。(好吧,这是废话。。。)

好吧,承认本人写得有点幼稚。(被你发现了)。再最后说两句话,老妈、外婆、以及全家其他人,我过得很好啊!

P羽,胡某,某郭,花花童鞋,我也很想你们啊啊啊!!!


                   
Jennifer

I’m dead on my feet. Dead, I tell you. I’ve managed to infect people with the same sickness that I have. I was partnered up with Grace. She speaks mainly Mandarin, with very good English. Because I’m the only girl here who speaks Mandarin, I was partnered up with her. Maybe I failed to mention that my Mandarin is atrocious, but my Mandarin is atrocious. However, Grace is extremely patient with me; taking time to explain Chinese phrases and idioms to me, and even puns, which I never would have understood if she hadn’t explained (the one about “Beethoven” was great, though, by the way). But it is not the language barrier that is tiring me out, because that barrier is more of a proverbial speed bump, but instead, it is her relentless energy and rapid-fire Mandarin that really gets me. She sees me as more of an older sister figure than a leader, which would not exactly be said in a negative connotation if I could get her to participate with the others more. I will encourage her to explore on her own in the coming days, especially since we are heading out to Darlington Provincial Park tomorrow and will be on the water soon.

This morning I woke in the apartment with Peggy and Grace. The new boys—Ryan, Cedric, Alan, and Edwin Chan—along with Alastair were staying there for the night. We were supposed to wake at 7, but most of them were jet lagged and they woke much earlier. Much. Earlier. We were ready to go at 7:30 and were driven back to HQ by Billy. I was very thankful for that, since it allowed me a brief respite from sore muscles.
I say “brief” because our morning PT consisted of the beautiful game—soccer! It was a rush of exhilaration and a true blast from the past for me. I felt that adrenaline and the familiar sense of ease and confidence when I speed onto the field. Of course, the team and the people were different, but we were all working towards a common goal, pun intended. The first game was played between the leaderships and the newcomers, with the leaderships winning 10-1. For the second game, the players were shuffled around into 2 new teams. This time we apparently tied 2-2, although I could swear we won with 3 goals. I scored some goals and I saved some, and assisted many, so I feel very accomplished as a soccer player, as a leader, and as me.

After the games, we headed back to HQ, where my parents dropped off some of my things, as well as a gift of watermelons for our dinner. We went through a Monticle 101 lecture, going over basic things about what we do, and about the building and equipment.  We then went out to buy some necessary equipment for our camp for some individuals in our group as well as buy our lunch at Costco. We then split up into groups—a few going to gather provisions while the others, such as myself, sought shelter in a nearby movie theatre for the air conditioning. We ended up playing some arcade games, and it was much fun, but it was hard to keep track of all these kids running around.

We returned to HQ for a lesson on CPR. The mannequins we used were very scary, especially the adult one. It was something about the eyes.  I found it very interesting and informative, and would like to see a real AED in action now. Though, I have to say, I’m very sorry for the people who require this kind of emergency medical assistance, but have things such as belly button piercings. Apparently, they can get some pretty bad burns. That’s the price you have to pay for life, then.

We had a test on the information in the Monticle 101 lecture, then had a dinner of buttered bread and sweet rotisserie chicken, as well as the watermelon from my parents. It was a taste and notion of home that was very much appreciated. Memories and slight nuances and all.

We’re heading out to Darlington Provincial Park tomorrow morning. Stay tuned, folks!
                                                                                                              
                                                                                                                          


















































5 comments: