Friday, July 20, 2012

Bravo group day 0


Last night, after the writing of our blogs, we were told by Billy to walk back to the apartment. So, waking at 7:00 in the morning, we cleaned up the apartment spic and span, and set out for HQ a little behind schedule. We arrived right on time, at 9:00, though. We had a morning meeting of the leaderships again for expectations of the leaders, reports from all of the team heads, and to discuss what needed to be done today.
                               
Quince, Ryan, Jason Wang, and Jennifer went to get their hair cut, while the others back at HQ continued to clean. The four returned with BBQ pork and rice for lunch. After lunch, the cleaning continued, and we washed one of the Sprinters while the Cooking team went out to buy the ingredients for our dinner. When they returned, we received a lecture from Billy on how to pack the equipment for our upcoming camp. We now prepare for the arrival of the Bravo group later this evening!


Jennifer

We were surprised last night by Billy telling us to walk back to the apartment again. We were only allowed to bring a daypack containing our necessities, and any other extra necessities were to be carried in a hiking pack by one person of the team—the “sacrifice.” And so, Alastair volunteered and carried the extra load, on top of his own day pack. This time, Henry and little Edwin joined us as well. The walk seemed a lot faster today, which was great, because our walk to Niagara Falls will definitely be much more difficult than this. Mental and physical preparation!

We had a meeting again to report anything the teams encountered or needed, as well as things that needed to be done today before the Bravo group arrives tonight. There will apparently only be two other girls, one a year younger than me, and one a whole five years older than me. If I ever waver, I’ll just remember Quince and how he’s taught me that age has little to do with leadership. The only thing I’m worried about is a little thing called a language barrier. They predominantly speak Mandarin, while my Mandarin is dismal at best. However, I will have to manage, since most everyone else here speaks Cantonese.

We mostly cleaned HQ today, and washed the Sprinter. Ryan and I got into a water fight, which was really fun because it was hot outside. Speaking of Ryan, he, Jason Wang, Quince, Billy, and I went to get our hair cut today. Ryan was silently mourning the loss of his hair, as was I. I had been planning on donating my hair once it grew long enough, but that would take a good year or two more, and I was afraid that my now-large ponytail would not fit in my helmet for kayaking. So, I decided to cut it. I feel….lighter, different; more free and confident. And now, speaking of confidence, I made reservations at Darlington for our camping trip, and before the call I was nervous. However, once I began speaking, I didn’t feel anxious at all. 

Anyway, the Bravo students will be arriving soon. I should prepare to greet them. That is all for today!

Alastair

Today we took the entire day to prepare for the upcoming group and the upcoming camping trip. We started off the day with a short debriefing and then got to work. We cleaned, packed, cleaned some more, ate, then cleaned some more….. we did a lot of cleaning…. Anyways, we all learned how to pack things properly, separating the things that could ignite or explode when put together, like steel wool and batteries. We cleaned the two sprinters as well, and cleaned all the windows. After a while, we did the packing again, and as I write, dinner is apparently cooking itself…..

Jacky

Yet another day passes and we are still preparing for the next group. Another walk from the apartment to HQ was taken place in the morning. A great practice for future hikes and I enjoy the morning P.T. we spent the whole morning cleaning up the place and having a great time as we talked about stuff during lunch. Today was a major cleaning day. We also got taught in how to pak items ifficiently and properly. We also cleaned both eth sprinters and are now awaiting for the upcoming bravo team. Hope the next couple of days are more exciting.

Jason Wang

Today we had another fairly slow day. We cleaned the 2 sprinters then we had to re-pack the equipment containers as the way it was originally packed was dangerous as steel wool ignites on contact with electrical currents. This event showed us that even the most experienced of leaders may forget small details once and a while. Right now as I write this blog we are waiting for bravo rotation to come in.

Henry

Today, I woke up at seven o’clock. I ate sushi for breakfast. I had bleeding nose. I helped to clean the HQ and I went to buy things with Edwin lo. We bought a lot of things. I felt very happy although I am very tired. I will sleep in the HQ, I think it will be interesting. And I will go to camp tomorrow and will stay there for five days

Quince

Today is a nice day. We walk again to HQ. the direct time is 8:01 -8:57. We have biscuits for breakfast. Then we start packing for the day after. The day after is a camp. 7 days 6 nights. We also mop the floor and washthe car. We also talk about safety for putting things witch is not put in the right place. Like steel wool with battery and battery charger. Mosquito repellent with detergent and axe with only the sharp thing that is coververed. Which will cut someone. We didn’t go out for two days in a row. This is the time to say good bye. Bye.

Edwin Cheung

Today is July 18, 2012. We wake up at 7:00 am at the morning. We ate the leftover sushi that billy buy yesterday. After we when ate breakfese we head to clear the apartment andwalkto HQ. Billy and us have a regular meeting at the morning about the nexe group at about the plan for the next trip.
At the afternoon, Renmanask me to clear the glass outside the HQ. the first few time I have a lto of hard time with cleaning it. At last I did it. There is not good it the world. There will be more better and exacend, and the more angle you watch something he outcome will be different

Calvin

Today I woke up to Edwin Cheungs antics, he woke me up 2 hours earlier than the wake up time. I did manage to fall back asleep but at least I did get some rest back. In the morning I managed with the help of everyone else to clean up the whole apartment and reach Monticle HQ by 0900. We were close to failing our goal. For most of the day we prepared and brought food for the next few days, cleaned up the whole HQ, and I have just come back from running to Costco. It seems that we have been walking a lot these two days. Today we also had a lecture from Billy about packing, I guess we were still tired from the Alpha group because we managed to pack flammable material with the dangerous goods.

Ryan

Today we are preparing for bravo teams arrival so it required all our day to prepare for it. I also had to get a haircut which made me really sad for the rest of the day. Quince being a leadership now made things interesting as we need to listen to his orders as well. Cleaning the sprinterwas the most difficult as we started shooting water at each other. During around the time that I need to prepare the camp food the students came in so we have to rush. They are a good group and I hope to see the rest of them.

Jason Wong

We woke up at the same time and cleaned up the apartment. We walked to HQ but this time we left later because we cleaned the apartment. We got HQ 5 min before the time deadline to get to HQ which was 9 am. We had the same breakfast as yesterday which was cookies. After breakfast we cleaned up the HQ. while Jason wang, Ryan, Jennifer, Quince and Billy were buying things we cleaned the outside windows. We had nice BBQ pork and rice lunch. After lunch I helped take the meat off the tendon (turkey drumstick) for dinner we had hamburger.































4 comments: