Thursday, July 5, 2012

Alpha Group / Me3 Foundation Day 5


We started our day today at 7:00, and had until 7:30 to clean up for cabin inspection. Our beds had to be made, sleeping bags folded, and packs organized, and some of us only passed this one because Daniel was lenient. Anyways, after that, we prepared for an amazing breakfast of English muffin, barbequed ham, and eggs. We then geared up for a full day of water activities. We started out, like every activity we do, with safety drills. We did some basic swim testing, just to make sure we could all handle ourselves in the water. We grouped ourselves into groups of 4, linked arms and practised kicking. After that we continued to practise handling ourselves in the water, we all lined up to fall backwards into a deeper portion of the lake, and swam back to the shore. After all the safety training, we split ourselves into 2 groups, and the first group headed out on Billy’s boat, to an island in Georgian Bay. When we got there, Raymond took us on a small hike, to enjoy the scenery and the fascinating wildlife. Meanwhile, the other group started to discuss the roles for an upcoming play that the Monticle students are preforming in. When we all had a chance to go to the island and hike, we headed back to our cottages to eat a dinner of spaghetti and pork chops. Again, Billy’s cooking was amazing, but what really surprised all of us were the pork chops that Crystal cooked, which were excellent. In the end, we all had a great day out on the lake, and we’re looking forwards to tomorrow, when many of us finally learn CPR from Raymond, a former paramedic in Hong Kong, one of the three medics with us on this trip (the others being Daniel and Billy, who are both combat medics). Anyways, due to the remote location of the camp, and the fact that Wi-Fi is hard to obtain, we will only be uploading the student blogs and the general blog (this one) for the duration of the camping trip. Pictures will be uploaded when we arrive back at HQ.

Geoffrey

Today, when I finished breakfast, we did an water training class near the Jordan Bay. We were floating in the water and swam, we’re also training our teamwork! Then we separated  ABCD teams into two groups, and Billy drove the boat to Jordan island to explore. The boat was bumping and fast. When we came back from Jordan Island, we changed our swimming suits and had a shower. I had a fun day!

Mike

Today, we did one water activity. That was “man overboard” training. It was fun but a bit tiring. The best part was that we could go on the fast boat. Before the training, we also did some pre-drills on how to jump into the water the right way, overall, today was fine.

Joyce

Day 2. Today was better than yesterday, not by much though. We pretty much stayed in / near water all day. I dislike wetsuits with a passion. It was a very tiring day. Home is still on my mind, but at least we’re returning on Saturday. We’re supposed to perform something for elderly people soon, slightly looking forward to it but I’m hoping the instructor will let me direct instead of act. Hope tomorrow is better. Hope all is well at home.

Jason

This morning we first had room inspections then had scrambled eggs and ham. Then we had a lecture about safety equipment. When we changed into our wetsuits we practised man over things. We had 2 teams for boating (man overboard) it took a while to get to shore. We had to wait for the others before going back. Then we cleaned the boat after showering.

Howard

Today, we practiced man-overboard drills. Because of this, we visited the Georgian bay the island, Beau soleil. It was a very beautiful island, as one can tell from its name, but kinda deserted with little signs of residents, though there were a lot of toursists and boaters. Tonight we’ll have a barbeque and campfire. I’m very excited and pleased with today

Quince

Today we done the man overboard. The water is so cold that we almosted freezed. It is in the middle of a bay. After a little bit of water. The water in top is warm. We did a hike in bosala island. We found a shelter to wait for the other group to do the man overboard. Tomorrow will be kayak. I can’t wait till tomorrow. The wetsuit is hard to wear.

James

Well, today was just tiring but fun in a way. All of us went on a motor boat to go to a island name beau- soleil island. It was annoy because of my wet suit shoe.

Tiffany

Man overboard, cold water, speed boats. These thoughts just flows through my mind haunting me. I was shaking of nervousness, I haven’t really experienced anything simmillar. At that moment half of me is saying, “you can’t do it, just step out from this camp.” Half of myself is saying “take risks, be a risk taker! You came to be a leader! Show everyone what you’re made of!”  So I decided to walk abd jump into the water, the cold water quickly pushed through my body chilling my soul, wait! It wasn’t as cold as I thought, so I found my mates and started padding, one two! One two! We sang as we swam lightening our spirits. That was a moment I finally found my courage and bravery and showed people my potential. Than we headed back, and I got an opportunity to steer the boat, and I showered then played a game of volleyball, what a day!

Jonathan

Hello mom, how are you? Are having fun? For one, we did man overboard training in the lake of Georgian bay. The water was cold. I really miss you a lot.
p.s. I might see you on Sunday, not Monday. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Yerrem

Splash. Splash. Splash. I stare at them as they fall backwards into the lake. I count down intil it is my turn to jump. Two. My heart was pounding like crazy, I can’t get up properly when Billy tells me it is my turn. I stand at the corner of the wooden board, and look back. I see seaweed waving with the current of the lake, as if it’s waiting for me to jump. I have no choice. I spread my arms out and jump.

Kendra

Today is the 5th day of camp, and the 2nd day of camping at MUSKEY’S LANDING. For the full day we did helmets, and all that safety stuff…. Next, we changed into our wetsuits and did some fun drills in the water. We then rode on the boat and went to Georgian bay. When we got there we did a man overboard drill and swam all the way to shore. The day was kinda like that and it’s really fun, we’re going to do it again on Friday.

Christina

Today we did man over board. For the whole day. I kind of have a sun burn on my face and legs. The water was cold at first but then it run out pretty warm. We went to an island and looked around. We saw a humungous scelaton of a fish. We estimated that a bear ate it, cause there were bear prints in the sand. It was really fun today. Just 3 days left for this camp.

Sharon

Today was super tiring and exhausting. Even though we didn’t really feel the heat because we were in our wetsuits; we actually all got really burnt and my face is all red. The boat ride was really soothing but the water activities were tiring. Overall the day was okay.

Alexandra

Today is the day 5 at camp/ Today we did man overboard. It was not bad and not that cold, for breakfast, we had ham egg muffin. It was ok. For lunch, we had crackers, juice, and oreo’s. it was ok to. Tomorrow we are doing CPR. I forgot, happy B-day mom!!

 Crystal

Today is the 5th day of camp. We woke at 7:00 today and had breakfast after getting ready. After breakfast, all of us put on our wetsuits. Water shoes, helmets and lifejackets, then went to the shore at the water. Then we learnt how to swim in the water. Later, we had a short lunch. After that, we split into 2 groups and had a 30 minute boat ride to further water. We had our man-overboard drill there. I had so much fun playing in the water today. I can’t wait to go kayaking tomorrow!

Marco

Today we went in the water to do water stuffs. For example: man overboard. It was pretty fun. We also went to an island with Billy\s boat. Billy’s boat is very fast. I can barely breath. But today is still fun.

1 comment: