Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Alpha Group Day 18


We had planned to hike up Mont Tremblant today, but when we woke, we woke to the sound of rolling thunder and lightning flashes. It was storming, and storming hard. It was enough to cause power outages in parts of the city, rendering some streetlights and traffic lights useless. Needless to say, we had to come up with an alternative plan for the day.

So after our breakfast of ham, scrambled eggs, bread and butter, we had a group discussion of any other places we could visit. After a democratic vote and further discussion, we came to a decision that we would visit the Espace pour la vie Montreal (specifically the insectarium and botanical gardens), Montreal Tower and the 1976 Olympic stadium, then we would go bowling.

The insectarium had many different sections, displaying taxidermied butterflies, beetles, termites, and it even had a live bee exhibit! A noteworthy mention about Crystal, who is afraid of bugs, but still managed to get through the insectarium with the rest of the group! On our way to the botanical gardens, we passed by a playground with an elaborate spider net made of rope, and we decided to challenge ourselves by climbing it…. Upside down.

Visiting each of the different botanical gardens required quite a bit of walking, but it was definitely worth it! We visited the Japanese, Chinese, and First Nations gardens. The Oriental styles were definitely stunning, with moon bridges and pagodas, bonsais, and stone lions guarding the gates. We also visited the tree house which was actually a house with information on the building’s surrounding trees, rather than a house in a tree as we’d expected. It also held beautifully carved wooden sculptures centred around a theme of “woody” quotes and puns.

On our way back from the tree house, that was not exactly a tree house in the most popular sense, we were caught by a heavy rain. We were able to duck back into the Insectarium for shelter from the next wave of the storm, luckily.

We then headed over to the Montréal Biodôme, with its 5 different ecosystem pavilions. We saw animals ranging from caimans from tropical forests and penguins from the sub-Antarctic, to things more familiar such as kittewakes. The next place that we visited was the Montreal Tower, the highest inclined tower; 165 metres tall and at an incline of 45 degrees. We were able to get a nice 360 degree panorama of downtown Montreal and a great view of the St. Lawrence River. We went to the Sports Centre part of the Stadium and saw the Olympic-sized swimming pool that was actually used by the Olympic athletes in their competition in 1976.

We head back to HQ tomorrow as it is the last day of the Alpha program. Stay tuned, as there’s more to come!

Jennifer

I woke at 6 today so that I could help Crystal with the making of our breakfast, which turned out very nicely due to the great foresight yesterday to start preparing the components of today’s breakfast, like slicing the ham that we simply reheated this morning. It was raining very heavily this morning, enough to take out the power in some parts of the city, so we had to come up with other alternatives. One suggestion was the Holocaust Museum, but some of the kids didn’t know what the Holocaust was, and in the end, it turned out that the supposed “museum” was a simple plaque memorial. Some others were the aviation museum, railway museum, the botanical gardens, the universities, and bowling.

After a consultationary vote, a small planning group led by Crystal, decided that we would go to the botanical gardens, Montreal Tower, and then we were to go bowling. We didn’t end up getting to go bowling, but we spent that time, instead, to visit the Espace pour la vie Montreal, which included an Insectarium as well as the botanical gardens. The Insectarium wasn’t really my thing, but the taxidermied butterflies were some pretty extraordinary shades. I also learned belatedly that my buddy Crystal is terrified of bugs. She still was able to make it through the exhibit; kudos to her for being able to face her fear like that. 

We went outside after that, when we discovered that the skies had cleared. As we were walking to the Japanese garden, we passed a jungle gym with a large rope web that we immediately dubbed “the Spider Web,” despite not knowing what the technical term was, and it stuck. We began exploring it, but soon challenged ourselves to climb it upside-down, which was a lot trickier to do and coordinate than it seems. I got some rope burn from that, but not as bad as my little brother. We’re fine though, so please don’t worry!

Needless to say, the Japanese stone gardens were amazing to me, in their perfect lines and how they exuded an air of tranquility. The Chinese garden was amazing in a different way, with swooping arches and red-gold pagodas and a blue pond that seemed to stretch for a pink-lily-forever. The sports centre was very interesting, with the modified Olympic pools (they added a kiddie pool), and a special diving pool that I’d never seen before.

I wish I could’ve been more like Crystal today. I was afraid to look out the window down at the roads below us because I am afraid of heights. I will strive to be bolder like so.
Goodnight world! Tomorrow we head back to HQ! ((Gotcha’ there! #Over.))

Alexandra

Today is day 18. For breakfast, we had egs, ham and butter with bread. It was ok. It was raining so we couldn’t go hiking, so we went to research. The top choices was bowling, the museum botanical garden. We also wanted the Biodome. So we decided we were also going to the Biodome. The whole tickets that cost everything was over $600!!! It was so much money. But we visited a lot of places like the Biodome, gardens (Japanese, Chinese, etc.), the bugs ant spiders, and many more. For lunch we had apples/banannas and a sandwich. I was so hungry that I didn’t mind what it taste like, because when I hungry, everything taste good.  We didn’t have time for bowling, I was so sad. If we did go bowling, then it would be my 2nd time because the 1st time I went bowling was when I was 5. So I wanted to so, so badly. Tomorrow is our last day. I’m so sad. I will miss everyone and have a good, rest of the summer!!!!!!!!.

Crystal

Today was not the best day to go hiking… We didn’t go hiking today!!! Well, technically we did… (see below) So… we ended up going to… The Botanical Garden, Biodome, Olympic Park, Montreal Tower and an Insectarium. I enjoyed all the places… except for the Insectarium, I am petri9fied of bugs/insects!!! I don’t really have anything to say even though this is my last  blog post. I’ll miss Monticle and wish the next group luck. I thank all the instructors and leaderships that have helped me throughout this program.

Jacky

Today we woke up early to drive to the hiking spot, unfortunateatly today we had a thunder storm so it was cancelled. We then took a long decide on where to go that’s indoors. We decided to do insecteorium, Biodome, Montreal tower and the gardens. As a leadership I feel like we did something good because I gave/pass information to the students. I taught a lot and lead a couple of students to learn a bit. I felt good doing this, overall everyone was safe and we had loads of fun.  

Christina

Today we went exploring!! We went to a insect Museum, a Japanese Garden, a Chinese Garden, and then we went to this gigantic spider web that was made out of rope so people can sit, swing climb, and have fun with it. I discovered a lot of cool new insects! I had a great time at the Japanese Garden. I discovered lots of history from the Chinese Garden. There was a challenge on the ropes but a lot of people got rope burns. This is my last day at Monticle. I am excited to go home but I will miss a lot of people at Monticle! Today was amazing!!

Calvin

Today did not start out as well as we hope it would. I had hoped I could show the students some hiking skills. The hiking trip would have ended up horribly of we went. The rain was crazy. Even though the weather cleared up we feared that the rain would come back. Luckily it did so we did not end up as wet as we could have been. I have finally made amends with the students I yelled at. Unfortunately it was the second last day at the program (alpha). Better late then nevery though. Everyone, including the leadershop seemed to enjoy today’s trip. The leadershop did very well in my eyes. The only problem was we almost lost Quinces pack. Luckily someone returned it to the front desk. Otherwise the timing and everything else were near perfect

Jason Wang

Today is my final full day in Montreal. Today we visited the Montral Olympic tower, the Insectoriu, and the Biodome along with the Bontanique Gardens. In the Botanique Gardens there was a spider web structure which we preformed PT on which showed us that with physical training you can build up your mental strength. At the Insectorium we saw many exibits of live and dead bugs of all kinds. There we learnded that a good leader should be more like a bug, quick in both actions and adaptability, which sounds kind of weird but is something we should learn. When we visited the Montreal tower we went to the highest level which is used to observe the city of Montreal. This even showed me that a good leader should be like the watch tower, neutral to their members and should be able to see all points of view before making a decition.

Edwin

Today, I went to Biothrim with Quince. Ad the other friends. The only problem I am have a hard time follow Quince. And Quince giving me attuide about the TV Channel problem. A I got angry about it. I learn that I have to learn how to take control of the situation.

Howard

Today, we went to asia. By that I meant that we visited the botanical gardens. In it was a Japanese & Chinese garden. The Japanese garden was very beautiful. There was a traditional Japanese building with tatami mats. Inside was a bonsai garden. A lot of the bonsais were old, all of them being older than me. The oldest was a 270 bonsai that looked very well kept. And the Chinese garden was very majestic, with its pavilions and ponds. It was all very beautiful. Then we went to the biodome. Looking at all the animals in their respective ecosystems was cool. Just how, Billy gave us a good lecture as we wrote our blogs. It was a very educational experience/lecture.

Jonathan

Today, we were supposed to go to Mont Tremblant to do hiking, but it rained, I was so disappointed. \So, instead, we went to the Montreal insect centre and the garden. It was two places in one city. In the insect place, we saw all kind of insects, like butterfilies, cetipedes and many more. In the garden, we saw a Japanese garden, a Chinese garden, a first Nations garden and more. It was a beautiful place to visit. We also visited the biodome and looked at eggs, North Pole and more. We also stopped by a public swimming place to get snackes. After that, we got a great view of Montreal from a panorama view place. It was great. You could see the sapito stadium, where the Montreal impact soccer club plays, a Cineplex Odeon movie theatre and many more to see.

James

Today is the second last day of camp Monticle. I was a little disspointed because of all the sightseeing and lots of walking. We went to the Montreal Botanical Garden. There is a insectarium where many unique and amazing insects is showed. The one that interested me was a gallery that showed a bunch of insects and how disguises itself. It also a glass box with the actual insect in it and one of them took me 10 minutes to find where it was. Today Billy taught me a lesson about the importance of being independent but also about the freedom of Canada. The even I’m looking forward to is the movie but also going home and having a reunion with my parents.

Kendra

Today we were just raming around one area. Around the area was the insectarium, botanical garden, biodome and Olympic Park. We first went to the botanical garden. It was huge!! It was fuilled with many garfens like the Japanese garden, the Chinese garden, the first nations garden and the treehouse. We first went inside the insectarium. It was fulled with dead bugs on display and living ones, too. I was kinda creeped out, but not as creeped as my sister!! I saw live bees and spiders and also dead beetles and butterflies! Yikes!! We went outside and had lunch and then went to the Japanese garden, I saw many Japanese traditions and origami, also. Then, we went to the Chinese garden and saw many Chinese traditions. After. We wemt to the first nations garden then the treehouse. The treehouse turned out to be a house made out of tree. Cool!! J we then headed out to the biodome and saw animals and plants etc… I saw penguins, alligators, fossils and many others. We then went to the Montreal tower and took the cable car up to the top. It’s a true fact that the Montreal tower leans most of all towers. We were looking around an the top and then went back down for some group photos, that was the end of my 2nd last day at Monticle. It was fun XD!

Quince

Today is the worst day and also the most luckyest day ever. It started that we going to a garden. See and see and the challengeing thing here is the spider web thingy. You have to climb down, than up to finish the goal. A girl, name Alexandra almost did it. When she hung the goal, she was the closest person from the goal. Then we go to the japan garden, then, guess where we go? We each went to asia china in Cathay Pacific, in Beijing. After that, we went back to Canada in fast jets, that is when the worst day begin. We went to the treetop for walk 30 minutes, but that is not the worst part. The worst part is that my day pack. Inside is my wallet, pen and other stuff, then the big rain begin. We need to stay in a tent for a while. Then, we went back and the luckiest day begin. We get back and billy told me somebody put my day hack in the main entrance. So he talk to me and that is the luckiest day ever. We went to something, like wild life park. It has lots and lots of animals including many kind of birds and fish, and even penguins!! After all, we went back to the campsite and that is the day which it finally…..finally…. ends!!!!

Jason Wong

This morning had a bad start because it was raining so we can’t hike. Instead we the botanique garden. We first to see he insectarium to see insects. We also seen a small boring jokes about bugs and bug quizzes, some bugs were reale some weren’t real. After we had turkey sandwhich and fruit for lunch. After lunch we went to the japenese garden, the Chinese garden had nice japenese tea house and nice plants. The Chinese garden had nice things such as a gift shop. We went to the biodome o see aquatic animals. On the way back to the house we bought some food/

Ryan

Today we went to the various attractions at Montreal so today was a easy day for leadership. I was prepared for navigating so my part in this was completed. I think however that I will give the navigating role to someone else as I could not stay awake for the long drive back to Ontario tomorrow. My first time barbequing the chickens for dinner was great. While I was watching over the kids cleaning I had to supervise them and lukily I did because fights almost broke out. I understand now why the leadership are always so angry because supervising the kids is really difficult and they are always restless. I am now glad and appreciate the senior leaders more because they are more experienced than me and know how to handle these problems.

Alastair

Today was a long day, instead of hiking, as we should have, the weather forced us to think of an alternative instead. I think that that alternative should have been planned beforehand, and more carefully. The students took too long deciding, and the price surprised Billy, and we were all taken off guard by the continuing rain. It was mostly a nature walk today, and we all enjoyed the return to many different cultures and the wildlife coexisting. It taught us about how a society works, how it should work, in equilibrium. Tomorrow is the last day of the Monticle Alpha team, and Bravo team is starting soon!
























































































3 comments:

  1. Good photos that I can't see any trace of the storm which stopped you from hiking. I feel a little bit of disappointment that I can't see your exhausted faces but am glad that you didn't get caught by the storm and heat. We had a burning hot yesterday. Luckily, there will be some cooler days to welcome you guys back to Toronto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenn~ (again) :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Edwin,
    good to know that you learnt how to take control of a situation. do not let emotion to run wild ! I see good improvment in you at home .
    Mom

    ReplyDelete