Sunday, July 8, 2012

Alpha Group / Me3 Foundation Day 9


So today was our drama production and I could feel the tension as our performance time drew nearer and nearer. We started the day at 7:30 with inspection at 8:00, which was becoming normal for us. We got to HQ at around 8:45 and started our final rehearsal for the performance. Kenny was meticulous with the production and the singing, drilling us on every detail. At around 1:00, we headed to Mon Sheong retirement home, and we started our performance. It went well, however what really took the show was Yereem, Tiffany, Mike, Marco, Geoffery, and Quince, with their performance of “I believe I can fly”, then Kenny, singing many different Chinese songs for the elderly.  Even after that, though, our day wasn’t over. We still had another activity planned for the students. Each group, Alpha, Bravo, and Charlie, were given $20 dollars (group of 4) or $23 (group of 5) to buy a dinner that was both filling, within the budget, and agreeable to the entire group. Needless to say, it was a suitable challenge for all of the students, testing their teamwork, leadership, communication, and decision making skills. After we finished and settled down back at HQ, we started interviews of all the students, including our leaders, for a self-evaluation, and an evaluation from the instructors, while the rest made themselves comfortable for an amazing movie, called Miracle.

Howard

Today, we spent our day mostly at MonSheong, the long-term care centre. In the morning we basically practiced our drama acts. After a bit, we finally finished and set out for the retirement home. There we had to perform in front of the elderly. It was one of my jobs to hand out tissues to some of the elderly. Some of the elderly seemed disabled so it was hard to interact with them well but I tried my best to be polite and courteous. I’m not sure if I was able to give them the proper image that I wanted but I managed to survive with my neck in place. (My limbs on the other hand…) In the end, we celebrated by going to First Markham Place and had dinner at the food court. The familiar sight was comforting. Today was a somewhat, nerve-wrecking day…

Jonathan

Today, for breakfast, we had a piece of bread, cold cuts (ham), and OASIS juice. Then we practiced for the final time on our presentation. Later then, we had rice and noodles for lunch. Then we rode in the Sprinter to the MonSheong Long-Term Centre in Richmond Hill to do our presentation. The performance went smoothly. After that, we took a grand tour of the nursing home. For our reward, we spent on our dinner at First Markham Place in the food court. The food there tasted okay, but not the best food that I ever tasted there.

Geoffrey

Today, when I finished a double ham and cheese and a bit of a butter sandwich. I pretty liked the sandwich because I made it myself. After breakfast, we practiced the drama presentation at Monticle HQ for the people in MonSheong. Later on, we went to MonSheong to perform our drama. We succeed! It seemed like the seniors liked the drama. But my favorite part was Billy & Kenny sang Chinese karaoke songs. Then, my group used twenty dollars to buy enough food for us. And we did it!

Jason

This morning we had some left over food from the camp for breakfast. After breakfast we had our final drama practise for 3 hours. Going to Mons Shoeng we didn’t have a stage so we had tape so we know where the stage is. The performance went well and enjoyed Kenny’s singing. I had to go home and pack everything for the rest of the summer and get a hair cut.

Crystal

Today was a simple day. We had a filling breakfast then practiced our drama/play for the whole entire morning. After that we went to Mon Sheong to present the play. Soon after we were done, we toured the Mon Sheong building for about n hour. Later we went to First Markham Place’s food court to have a dinner….. within a $20 budget! But luckily my group knew how to manage our money, so we had a great dinner with a great price. I had a terrific day today and hope I will enjoy tomorrow as much as today.

Marco

We made our own sandwiches ourselves today. Then we went to Mon Sheng to do our drama. We just basicly to our drama today.

Kendra

Today was the 9th day of camp. We had a pretty good breakfast. We made our own sandwiches. With ham,cheese and different dressings. Then we practiced our drama piece. We had noodles and rice for lunch and then we took off to Mon Sheong. There we performed our skit and toured around Mon Sheong. We saw many different things. Then, each team had $20 to spend on dinner. That’s it for today. Tomorrow we’re going to Niagara Falls, I’m so excited!!!

Alexandra

Today is day 9. For breakfast, we made our own sandwich. It was good. Then we went to Mon Sheong. We performed our drama peace. I was scared, then for lunch ,we ate fried rice and noodles. It was good. Then we went to a Chinese food court. We lost but 1 the budget.

Mike

Today ,we did our drama at the Mon Sheong long term care center. It was fine, but I had to use Cantonese to do the drama, which made it awkward. After that, we went to a Chinese food court with a small challenge. We had 5 people in our group with 23 dollars. Our challenge was to get dinner for everyone with a variety of food and using the least money possible. Overall, today was fine.

Christina

We had yummy sandwiches today. We made our own sandwiches. I made 3 sandwiches. 1 piece of bread, garlic sause and ham. We went to Mon sheong to perform. It went well. For lunch we ate fried rice and noodles. For dinner we went to a Chinese plaza and ate our own dinners. Tomorrow we are going to Niagara Falls to hike. I am very excited!

Quince

Today, our breakfast is ham and bread. We have lunch in 12:00. We have noodles and rice. We have a lovely dinner. We have a choice ,but our money value for 20 bucks. We used 20 bucks. We have two bowls of fried rice and chicken wings.  We have free drinks too. We did a drama show to the elderlys. It is awesome,I sang “I believe I can fly”. Tomorrow is the first time we shop. I am so exciting.

James

We mostly spent our time today at Mon Sheong long term care centre.  I never knew the care centre. I never knew the care centre could be so interesting. There is rooms where there are interesting toys and tools, there is a room where elderlys relax. We also went to a food court to have a contest about which team spend the wisely. Each team got $20 to get food for the 4 member of each team and there was 3 teams.

Tiffany

“Knock! Knock!”  The door went as Billy woke us up from our surprisingly comfortable sleep.  I stood up got dressed and headed out back to The HQ.  Today is the day we visit Man Shang retirement residence and entertain the elderly, we are suppose to perform a original drama about Monticle to them.  So we spent the first half of the day practicing to try to reach my best, it isn’t everyday that one of the most facilitated retirement residence gives us such honor to entertain our fellow elders.  Within that few hours, me and Yereem practiced “I BELIEVE I CAN FLY” for the “Hong Kong Special”.  There were certain challengers within the singing but we went through it together.  As Billy said and I quote “ Together is the power!”  We supported each other and passed the herdal of challenge.  à When we performed everything turned out better than we expected. I saw the smile and joy in every single elder, I feel as if we did something that spoke to their heart and soul, which made me understand the enjoyment of community and service. Anyway I really like this visit, it shared the true meaning behind “CARE” after the visit we went to First Markham Place to find dinner that has budget and variety, ALPHA team won thanks to calvin’s advice. Then we came back here to the HQ to write this blog which is my chance to spin my heart into paper and words, I had a wonderful day and I certainly would be missing all this! I’m very looking forward to Niagara Falls tomorrow! By then my life’s experience would be on this precious blog! Bye! Regards, Tiffany!

Yereem

“Mon Sheong Richmond Hill Long Term Care Center” I stared at the bold golden letters that were firmly bolted to the front of the building. Anyone that had a quick glimpse of it would have mistaken it for a hotel. Instead, it was the ultimate best –quality elderly care centre in…let’s say, Markham. We were here to present a drama piece to entertain the seniors and do community and service. Our drama piece wasn’t the best, and when I saw a whole bunch of priviliged elderly staring at us, it did not make me feel any better. But later did I find out that they were no as bad as I thought. We performed, the HK students sang, Kenny sang. Afterwards, we gave the elderly Kleenex tissues as little gifts, did by a brief tour,then we left. Great(ish) day.



























No comments:

Post a Comment