Thursday, August 8, 2013

Trans Canada Expedition - Day 26


Aug 08, 2013 – Day 26
Locations: Riverside Motel – Hadashville, MB; Dryden, ON; Thunder Bay, ON; Imperial Motel – Terrance Bay, ON
Second last day on the road of the Trans Canada Expedition. We left early, early this morning, driving out of Manitoba and into Ontario. Our goal is to stop as close to Sault Ste. Marie as close as possible. We arrived at Dryden for a fuel up, stopping to rip out the fender of the trailer because it was rubbing against the wheel. After the fender was taken out, Billy did a visual check on the other wheel and noticed another problem. The other wheel inside treads has been rubbed raw / worn out. It was estimated that the wheel would not last for another 100 kilometres, so Billy, Calvin and Edwin went out to a tire shop and bought another wheel while the other fender was taken apart. The newly bought wheel was attached to trailer in record time. We left soon after heading towards a picnic site for a quick lunch.
Once again on the road, we saw scenery unique only to Ontario, and soon after we arrived in Thunder Bay. We stopped off at the local Wal-Mart and Safeway to restock and buy dinner. We passed many familiar landscapes, and stopped at a motel in Terrance Bay for the night. Everyone took out what they need to sleep, went to their rooms, ate the dinner bought, wrote their blogs, and voted for this expedition’s student of the year. Tomorrow we will be driving 14 hours back to Monticle! Then there would be a major clean-up for Bravo camp and graduation.
By the way, we would like to give a shout out to Howard Huang! It’s his birthday today! Happy Birthday! Hope he found this day to be unique that he would never forget!

Mich. F
Right now I am having a great time with the pot of special sauce, in which contains HP sauce, Tomato Sauce, Diced Tomato, Mushroom, Mushroom cream sauce, garlic salt, granola oil and chicken powder. We have been eating the same pot of sauce for four meals. Yesterday we had it with hash brown and rice. This morning we had bread and the same leftover sauce. This afternoon we had bread again with the bean-filled sauce as well as baby carrots, which people were so willing to trade me with sausages. Tonight we had it with bread and roasted chicken, as well as strawberries as dessert. Somehow, I did not know why I feel good even though I kept eating the same pot of sauce (the portion is like soup but not sauce actually) for 4 consecutive meals. Perhaps, it is because of the fact that we followed Billy’s buzz phrase of “Don’t waste food!” Moreover, it does save a lot of money, even though the beans make us fart a bit too much and the corn starch solution makes the whole pot a bit too stuffy. Anyway, better than nothing or wasting the food, as well as Billy’s creative cooking!
Today we let Justin and Roman to take over the leadership jobs. They handle the whole day quite efficiently and they quite enjoy their process of taking the lead. We are quite delighted when we saw that not only the leaderships took the jobs. We should let different people to try the jobs and have different experiences in order to make their trip more meaningful and fruitful. I hope they will appreciate this opportunity.
Tomorrow we are heading back to HQ at around ten or eleven at night. The fact that the trip is ending soon does not disappoint me much though. I swear to God that it is one of the most challenging but also meaningful and fruitful expedition ever participated. After this summer, I really have the utter understanding of the definition of EXPEDITION (if you don’t have hiccups like flat tires on the highway and fix it at night…), as well as LEADERSHIP (dealer of hope/ responsibility/ motivation/ communication…). Alright, too late now, good night~

Grace
After a day’s driving, we now arrive in Terrace Bay. Tomorrow we will go back to HQ. Our 28-day-trip is almost over, but I actually don’t want to go back to Shanghai. We will have a 300-day-walk next year. although I really want to come, but I think Kathy and I can only join during summer vacation. I walked 160km last year for 3 days. but next year would be much more difficult, wish my mom will allow me to come. (Are you reading my blog everyday, mom?) Today is also Father’s day. (although I know you maybe aren’t reading this), happy Father’s day. Dad, I think I am fatter these days, since we sit in the car all day.

Howard
Happy Birthday to me, happy birthday to me, I didn’t go to the washroom, and I need to pee. Now you may ask if that is true or if I’m just rhyming, well I didn’t want to mess up my timing (and it’s true). I’ve had many a birthdays before but none of which where I woke up in a riverside motel in the dead of night to prepare a breakfast that comprises of bread and cold, hard sauce. while being in Manitoba. Okay, that was oddly specific but you get what I mean. Today, moving from Manitoba to Terrace Bay, Ontario, it has been birthday that I’ll never forget.

Roman Wang
Being leader of the day is really fun! I think I did a good job co-operating with Justin. I have never heard Justin laugh before, but today while we were discussing about plans we both started laughing. I also think we did very well at controlling the timing. I learned a lot about timing and paying attention to details. I am feeling really sleepy, but I don’t wanna sleep early because I am still leader of the day. We will be back in HQ tomorrow night.

Calvin
Today I have not been having a good day. First I hurt someone by accident and then I hurt myself. Also the trailer wheel needed to be replaced. It was about to blow up since the inner treads were worn down all the way to the metal. We are also down a day so I hope we can get everything ready for the Bravo group in time.

Mickey
Good news! Tomorrow will go back to Toronto! But Tomorrow is the 27th day! We just have one day to clean and do other job. Tonight is our last day in outside. Time is so fast. I don’t know I should be happy or saw. HaHa?! But now we still is far from the Toronto. Maybe we will get in HQ at night. Today I thinking about budget about the carculate about the 5 slows! I don’t know now to say. Goodnight. I will be co-driver all day tomorrow. Try my beast.

Quince
Today, we left Manitoba and we are in Ontario. We went to a motel and lived in it. It is quite good and I am in a hurry. So that is why I have to be so short. Bye.

Kendra
Today we left Manitoba and headed to Ontario. It was driving all day again… We just made usual steps along the way. We were supposed to reach White River but we didn’t have enough time, so tomorrow we’re going to reach HQ. A 14 hr drive. That was it!

Ryan Hoang
Today was a relatively boring day but with a very surprising twist at the end of it. It was the usual road trip with us finally making it back to Ontario. However near the end a major incident occurred. The incident was Calvin starting to drive when Jenn was trying to close the door. This caused the lower half of her to fall out while me and Micheal Lo tried to help her back up. Eventually Calvin figured out what was happening and stopped the car. This caused a really tense atmosphere to envelop the Sprinter and have me and Mike trying to lighten it. This however caused me to be hit on my right arm by Calvin a blow so painful that it has given me trouble to write my blog.
We are almost at the end of our trip and that worries me. When I get back home I have to face the music of our educational system. Meaning that when I get home I will have to see my report card. This makes me quite nervous as I hope I did not fail them with my marks being to low.

Jason Wong
We woke up at 5:00 a.m. and packed up and loaded. We had bread and the leftover sauce from yesterday’s dinner. The sauce was cold but I still ate it anyways. We had 2 jugs of milk to finish for breakfast. I was one of the ancient people who drank a lot of it. Today’s leaders were Roman, and Justin who are the first students leader of the day. We drove to Dryden to fix the wheel/pit stop. Later we drove to a gas station to refuel. We stopped at a picnic area that we had been to before. we had carrots, the still leftover sauce, hotdog which was good. I then became co-driver for my vechile. Billy said that he wanted me to be the next navigator but I wasn’t sure if he was joking. we drove until we stopped at walmart to resupply. I was first to notice that the radio died, and when we had to stop I had to run to the other vechiles to tell then. we stopped Terrence bay instead of white lake for the night.

Mike
Today was less eventful than yesterday. Thankfully, we didn’t lose anything today, or so I think. However, we had to replace a trailer tire as it was severely damaged and would have blown soon.
Anyways, now we’re in Terrace Bay, Ontario and the timezone is now same time as HQ or a 12-hour difference between HK. Tomorrow, we should be back at HQ with clean-up, admin work and packing up for overseas students.
And for mom, you called me or something? I would probably call you back tomorrow at HQ, but Layne said you’re sick. Are you fine? How sick are you? Hope you feel better.

Edwin Chan
Today we left from Riverside Motel Hadashville Manitoba and we are now at Imperial Motel. On our way back we stopped by an Esso station and I was told to take off the fender from the trailer. A little while later we stopped at an A&W to take off the other fender and the busted right wheel of the tailer. Since we need a new tire Billy, Calvin and I went to KK Perrer tire store to get a new tire to replace the old one. After that we stopped at a side picnic area to have lunch. I don’t remember much but I was laughing so hard I was crying. That’s all the interesting thing that I got. Have fun!

Lemuel
We got one more day until we get back to Toronto. But before then, we had to make a quick stop at Dryden due to tire troubles. With all that driving, the tire on the trailer got worn out and needed to be replaced. It was a good thing we stopped there since we wouldn’t have known and would be stuck in the middle of nowhere with no spare tire. Only got about 14 more hours until we reach Toronto.

Mireille
Today we woke up at 5am, we ate a quick breakfast then we left at around 6am. We went through Tender Bay. For lunch we ate sausage, beans, tomatoes. I think I was very tired that why until 5pm I was sleeping in the car. Moreover one more time our tire blew up So everyone help to unload the trailer that we can change trailer’s tire. Tonight we gonna to sleep in a motel again. Normally, Tomorrow we’ll arrive to Markham.

Edwin Cheung
Today, We wake up at Riversidemotel. We head out for our second last day head back to HQ. The time fly, we drive at lese 1000km a day, tomorrow too, I will be all right. Mom love you, Mom and Dad.

Alan
Today we got back in Ontario. This morning I woke up at around Five 3. I packed my stuff and ate our breakfast, I found out I had 2 jobs today, veiacle assistance and cleaning stuff. after eating breakfast we were on our way. After about 14 hours driving we got to our motel.

Kathy
Today was the twenty-sixth day in monticle. Tomorrow we will get to Toronto, do some cleaning work and prepared celebrate day. Today e still travelled almost all day, we stayed at motel tonight, it will be the last night we live in team together. Twenty six day, all of us live like a big family, we from stranger to good partners and friends, and now we need to say good-bye in just two days. We got a lot of good memory from the trip. I enjoyed every minute between the trip.

Marco
Today was a beautiful day, we were driving from 6:00AM to 8:00PM. I was really tired in the car. We were listening to good music today, I was singing for a while. I had to pee 3 times today, first I peed to a Powerade bottle, second is inside Walmart and third to the bushes.
We were supposed to go to White River but we end up at Peris Bay. We still have a long way to go to Toronto but we have to reach to HQ by tomorrow. So I’m not sure how long it would take. We will see.

Jason Wang
Ahh, today is the second last day of this expedition. The closer the end of this trip comes, the more I start missing this group. They have grown so much over the past few days, through the thick and thin, we were there together. Well, we started off the day at around 0500 with an early wake up and were on the move by 0600. We managed to push past Thunder Bay today from Manitoba and we should manage to make it back to Monticle HQ tomorrow. I’m going to miss this group, and this trip.

Crystal
Waking up early, we quickly ate breakfast, packed up and left Manitoba. Passing the border between both provinces, we continued our long hours of driving. After just a few hours, we stopped at an A&W parking lot because one of the trailer tires had to be fixed. After the tire was fixed, we loaded up and continued our traveling. We had a quick one-hour lunch break and drove for many hours again. I was sleeping and waking up, sleeping and waking up, continuously on the Sprinter for the entire day since we woke up at around 4:45am.
Tomorrow we will be arriving at HQ late at night and will be having a full cleaning of the vehicles, equipment and everything else. Also, we will be waking up early tomorrow and will be driving continuously for around 14 hours. Our expedition is now coming to an end, I had a lot of fun with everyone and everything we did, I’ll miss everyone and hopefully will stay in contact with some people. I enjoyed all the experiences and everything I learned during these twenty-something days. Even though we had some hiccups and made many mistakes, we all worked together as a big family and got through everything. I’m kind of sad that this program is ending and am happy that I am returning home to Toronto.

Tiffany
Today was relatively a travel day, moving out at 6, we got onto the vehicle and passed out. I feel extremely sorry for the drivers, they are most likely to be extremely sleepy. I had fun today on the vehicle talking to my friends, well, it is the second last drive. Thinking about leaving in few days made me feel sad. I’ve been here for more than an entire month! That must be something. Time flies when you’re having fun, that is so true. I’ve made friends, gotten mad, learnt from my mistakes, made mistakes, gotten depressed, but now I’m simply feeling an eternal pride. I’ve been through all of this, I’ve done something special, I’ve accomplished something. As I typed on the Ferrari computer (my 1500 word essay plus assessments) I evaluated what I’ve done so far. Have I done enough? Have I released my true self? A lot have gone through my head, I want this summer to be forever in my heart. Well, it already is, but I’m going to miss all of you guys. With so many thoughts going through my mind, I add into my brain waves, Billy organized this, Billy solved the problems, Billy made sure everything was alright and stood at the back and supported us. How can we repay Billy? How can we make sure he knows we’re proud and thankful? As I get into the alpha room, I sit down and reflect, how do people take me as? Am I a good guy or a bad guy? Have I done what I’m supposed to do? I’m in love with Canada, I don’t want to leave, I’m going to miss all of this, the experiences and such, so I’ll miss you guys Canada, ever so much.

Owen
HQ is getting closer and closer. After the relaxing day, we left at six in the morning. Since it was very early, I feel asleep in the car again.
My body was shaking. The shake make me woke up. When I opened my eyes, someone told me to get off from the car. The moment that I got off from the car, I saw that the trailer lost a tie. That tie was broken, so Billy took it off and went to another store bought one to replace it.
After about an hour, we started our travel again. We stopped in a rest area for lunch. This place is … the place that we had our first roasted chicken! This means we were getting closer to our home.
At about 8:00 pm, we found a motel to stay. Surprisingly, we hadn’t stayed in this room. the said that they had a meeting he and kicked us out of the room. Xia jia jian de jon …

Jenn Wang
I didn’t see my life flashing before my eyes today, but I had time to register that the Sprinter door was sliding open and I was being dragged out of the vehicle along with it. I always disliked the rush of roadside bathroom breaks because I could already foresee problems such as this; I’m just glad it was me who fell out of the moving vehicle instead one of the students. Thank you to Michael Lo who managed to pull me back in.
I was finally nav today and Billy’s co-driver. We talked about the 7K/300 in more detail, and also discussed leadership strategies and improvements. Observation is good, but what I really need is more emotional control and just more experience.
I’m still a bit shaken up after getting a close-up of the bottom of the Sprinter and exhausted from being navigator today so I’m going to end this blog here. On a lighter note, happy father’s day!

Matt                                                                                                                  
One more day until we’re back in toronto! But tomorrow we’re going to have to kill it, non-stop driving all the way through Sudbury through HW7 and to HQ, all on Friday. We all know how crazy traffic is on Friday especially in toronto. Surprisingly we stopped for lunch at the same place we did last time, English river. Apparently I am leading tomorrow’s cleaning day! This is like my 3rd time being LOD (Leader of the day). All leaderships are going all in to figure out who or what should be cleaning and the timings for tomorrow.

Justin
After so many days of writing how to be a leader at the end of the trip, I finally have the chance to be the leader to lead the whole group. But just for one day.
Being a leader is just as easy as it seems on books, but it is not as difficult as I think either. Think before hand, and everything will be much easier.
I am also happy to work with my fellow leader, we make great partners.













































4 comments:

  1. Dear Jenn,
    I can still feel my heart fluttering since I read your words, although I know you should be fine ( I check every photo carefully, don't even miss any mosquito bite).Take care of yourself while you take care of others,ok?

    Dear Micheal(Lo)and Ryan,
    Thank you for giving a hand.

    Dear Calvin,
    You have done great. There is a long way to go, so leave the past to yesterday and focus on today.

    Dear Roman and Justin,
    It seems that you two ran a smooth and efficient day.Well done!Hope we can see your precious smile when we meet tomorrow, Justin.

    Dear Big Head,
    You are so faithful unto the end--your apparel.
    The last steps of the trip are important as well as the beginning, so be careful.

    Can't wait to see you all tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tiffany,
    TT will cook your runaway crab when u are back to HK! Cool. Right? Can't wait...
    I have to say I am so proud of u and so proud being the mother of Tiffany. Really imagine how u can possibly gone through that much and so.... far. I guess I should start thinking my version of expedition so u can be proud of being the daughter of Chloe as well.
    I believe growing up into a truly inspiring person would be the best repay to everyone who love and care of u. Remember the meaning of your name would be the answer.
    One more thing and this is an order: remember to get me pictures of your graduation in full business attire. Can't wait to see this Kodak moment. Hope we can be there with u!
    Mom Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Justin,

    Congratulation that u have done a good job to be the leader of the day!
    As mom always says, think big and start small. You always have big thinking, but they are not as big as a small move.

    Thank you to student leaders like Jennifer, Tiffany and Michael who gave u this chance. They are brilliant to notice the characteristic of people and invent this good match. Roman and Justin make chemistry together!

    Monticle train up leaders, they in turn inspire future leaders. It is a great and fabulous job!

    Pennie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Justin

    When u arrive at Toronto, pls give a call to FAI and Leung. But no need to bother them with the stay. You will sleep in the accommodation provided By Monticle.

    Pls call or text me when you can. Make sure to arrive at the airport on time.

    Can't wait to see you! But grab and treasure the last moments of this trip.

    Mama

    ReplyDelete