Friday, August 2, 2013

Trans Canada Expedition - Day 19



Aug 01, 2013 – Day 19
Locations: Fort Nelson, BC; Hudson’s Hope, BC
We arrived at Fort Nelson way past midnight. Since it was so late, all motels were basically closed. The only one that was opened was Super 8, and it was as luxurious as its cost. After all it is a four star hotel… Even the hotel was booked solid, but because of Billy, we got six rooms that were originally saved for the military. Everybody went into their rooms as quietly as possible. Morning came all too soon, and we all went down for breakfast that was included in our rooms. However, we made a mistake and got a complaint by another guest. This ended with a lecture by Billy.
After making sure of the town we might be staying for the night, (and restocking our food supplies) we started up the vehicles and continued on our way. The driving is pretty much the same, although we managed to see a really surprising event! We saw a black bear cub right outside of town! We also saw many other animals afterwards too! After several hours, we made a stop for lunch. We noticed that there was a different route that leads to Jasper (but it did not go into Grand Prairie). We stopped at a gas station outside Fort St. John for a fuel-up and asked the people the question. We followed the new route, drove through nice scenery, and stopped off at Hudson’s Hope for the night. There were deer freely walking around the small town!
We rented a house for the night, with the students taking the basement, the leaderships taking the main floor, and the Admin and HQ team taking the second floor. We cleaned up the dirty dishes that weren’t washed, and the vehicles that weren’t cleaned. We made dinner, showered at lightning speed (since there was only one shower room), and went to bed for the night.
Animals seen for the day: 2 black bear cubs (one walking towards town, one running across the street!), deer everywhere! (first was a baby and adult deer, then several more in Hudson’s Hope, + a dead one…), and 1 red fox (by the road standing right beside the dead deer)

Jenn Wang
Words are more powerful than any weapon. A couple of well-aimed words can make or break a person. I’ve both felt and used the power of words and the influence that they can have. It goes with the observational aspect of what I’ve been doing so far, to learn enough about everyone to be able to use my words more effectively to motivate them and move them into action or to assuage and smooth ruffled feathers and such in a given situation. I don’t know exactly how effective I’ve been thus far, but sometimes I can feel it in motion. Though, more times, still, I can feel the situation slipping through my fingers and going downhill like a train wreck, and that’s when I feel the need to tread carefully in order to salvage the situation.
So thank you, Billy, for those short words at lunch. I really can’t express how much that lifted my spirits. I really am learning from a master—no need to be feeling bad that your writing skills are not as great even though you’ve got about thirty-something years on me—you have a way with words as well, using them effectively, and effectively choosing instances in which words are not needed. Your previous silence allowed me to think and be more independent in my actions, though I often felt that I was on the wrong path and it was difficult for me to watch the others get guidance from you, though I understand a little better now what I’m meant to do. It’s very easy for me to see the good in others and where they could perform best, but it was always hard for me to see it in myself. Perhaps my self-reflection and character development is where I need the most work.
Now that I have a direction to work towards, I can see where my niche is, just like how I held the light last night on the side of Alaska Highway when the tire blew out and we were changing the tire. I wasn’t called out to help move the trailer, but I went out anyway because I knew who to call on and when and where to place them, and I could see where the light was needed. It would be nice to be big and muscly, but I’m already quite tall and I have a big presence. So I can continue to hone my observational skills and use my words in a more effective and powerful way to send the right and needed message.

Kendra
Over these past 2 weeks or so, we have travelled several thousand kilometers, visited many places, had a few hiccups, and meet many new people, but today I learned that everyone on the team is equally important Sometimes you may feel that you are not  important, but you are as important as any one else on the team. I learned that everyone plays a big role. People are just like stars, at times some shine brighter than other and maybe you just haven’t had your time to shine yet. This was a very important lesson I learned today. That was basically it for today, the rest was driving. I also learned that writing your blog is to treasure a memory, because you will never get his day back again.

Calvin
I am surprised that the trailer wheel we fired has just blown out 30 minutes after we set off. It really scared me because I saw sparks coming from the wheel in the dead of night. We managed to fix the problem relatively quickly. We found that the trailer has a big design flaw. This morning was a failure for all people in monticle. We had a complaint that we were awful and we stormed the mess. Hopefully they will discipline themselves more properly. We won’t be able to hike tomorrow, instead we will hike the next day. I am apparently in charge of discipline during the hike. I am looking forward to it.

Roman
Today was a long day! We arrived at Fort Nelson at 3 in the morning today and stayed at Super 8 (****). They were suppose to be full, but Thanks to Billy we got to stay on the second floor (reserved for military). We planned to go to Grand Praire, but we only got to a small town named Hudson’s Hope. We found a place to stay, it’s like a town house motel. All the students are staying in the basement. Justin, Howard, and I are in charge of the basement. So far we kinda got things under control. I am really tired right now, I will write in details tomorrow.

JJ (Jason Wang)
Today was chaos, Disorganized, uneffective and slow. Even without any unplanned hiccups such as windshield cracks, popped wheels or dented doors. We started today technically at around 0830, but due to poor planning from the leader of the day today, all the teams managed to storm the kitchen at the same time, disrupting other guests at the “Super 8” hotel. At 1015 we were prepared to move out but due to a complaint from another guest at the hotel, we received a lecture from Billy, further delaying our travel time. Other than that travel delay, the road trip was relatively the same excluding our gas stop at Petro-Canada is which our fearless leader of the day shot down his radio, leaving both himself and the others in the dark due to the mobility to communicate. Right now we are in a “motel/town house” in Hudsons Hope, BC. The leader of the day is still ineffective, disorganised and unprofessional even with the strong suggestions from HQ team, team captins and 2ICs. Hopefully tomorrow’s leader of the day will get things done properly, quickly and effectively.

Tiff
Waking up with 4 hours of sleep, I surprisingly felt extremely satisfied. Went down, enjoyed a nice warm breakfast, then left for grande parrier. “6 hours tops,” Said Ryan, our leader of the day. Now I sit here writing my blog in Hudson Bay, well that was off. Today we began at 12:00 on our road tri, yay! Travelling I guess. Ryan was our leader today, as he longed for. The day started somewhat inspiring. With Billy acknowledging everyones importance, well that brought up many smiles. I feel incredibly honored to be here at this state, considering the chaos, messes, and unexpected events that happened along the way.
I completely agree that I’m learning from the best. I mean, Billy has gone through almost all possible vehicle malfunctions. Such as, flat tires, windshield chippings, gas lacks, etc. But he continued o push 24/7, I cant event stay up 24 hours!
There is only 9 (well almost 8) days left so I’ve been reflecting, also typing my 1500 word essay along the way. I’ve learnt a lot over this trip, and greatly treasured/treasure the times spent with m team. I love you guys!! <3 2="" a="" about="" all="" and="" beginning.="" best="" blessings.="" but="" clear="" clearer="" day="" days="" do="" duty="" finished="" for="" general="" good="" have="" he="" here="" his="" home="" hope="" hw.="" i="" is="" job.="" job="" just="" leader="" luck="" m="" messy="" miss="" most="" my="" new="" of="" or="" other="" p="" position.="" questions="" relatively="" ryan="" same="" school="" t="" than="" that="" the="" there="" thing="" time="" to="" today="" tommorrow="" wants="" was="" wasn="" you="">

Mickey
Today I just be a co-driver just half hour! I really want be co-driver! But I know Billy is tired. Thank! Billy: And I talk with michale so many. I really know monticle wait it is. Everybody is try them best for this the team. But I felt so happy today. Tonight we sleep in the house. and I sleep bed. So warm! Good night

Mireille
AT 3am we went to the hotel Super 8 in Fort Nelson. I took shower then sleep. I woke up at 8 am then help to wash yesterday dishes. At 9:30 am I went to eat breakfast in the hotel. It was like a buffet. I ate a lot a lot! 2 bagels with peanut butter, 1 cup of milk, 3 small cup of orange juice, bacon, eggs and 1 yogurt. Yummy, Yummy! Then at 3:5 pm we ate chicken and bread for lunch. Today I’m vehicle assistant so when we go to gas station, I’ve to clean up y car’s windows and I also clean inside of the car because the cleaning team were busy to clean other things. Tonight we’re gonna to sleep in a house. Actually I think we rent a house.

Kathy
Today was the ninteenth day in monticle. Our trip had only nine day left, and we need to back to Toronto. Yesterday, we travelled all night until 3 o’clock in this early morning, and lived in hotel, then continued our trip at 10 A.m. We discussed our travel line toether this morning, for which place we want to go next nine day, it was difficult because we should think of a lot things and I knew almost nothing about Canada. We were very lucky that saw two little black bears on the way and baby deer as well. They are so cute, although I knew black bear is a kind of danger animals.

Edwin Cheung
Today, We woke up a Super 8. We have 9  hour to Jusber. We have good breakfast. I ate blueberry Muffin, Oatchocolate Muffin with Jam and Butter, and cereal with orange Juice. Through the way, we have few break thought the way. We later stay in a place Hasonhop, B.C for a night. Tomrrow, we might head to Jusper. I like the trip. The group are well together. When I group up, I might not see people in this room.

Alan
Today we tried to rush to grand perry. We woke at 8:00 after a comftorable night at A 4 star hotel; Super 8. we had breakfast there, we made our plan and got on the way. in the after noon we had bread and chicken it was good. At night we didn’t make it to grand perry we and stoped at HudsonsHope and stayed there for the night.

Justin Tang
Today, I had an important lecture. This morning, we had a nice breakfast in the hotel that we stayed in. WE enjoyed the morning, but the other guests did not. With thirty of us occupying the seats and raiding the food, other guests couldn’t even find room to eat. Some of the guests were so disturbed that they complained to our chief instructor.
Knowing our mistakes, the chief instructor did not blame us. Instead, he patiently explained to us the importance of respecting others. Respect yourselves and then respect the others as well.

Marco
We didn’t really ride for a long time today. We were supposed to go to Grand Prairie but we stopped at Huddson’s Hope. I just finished cooking with Crystal, Michael Fung and Howard. Today’s dinner was Chicken with mash potatoes. It was really yummy. I’m not sure if we are going to hike Mount. Edith. Bye now I it is really late.

Mich. F
SUPER 8! Even though we had a hard time searching for motels or any other possible accommodations in Fort Nelson, Billy had successfully found Super 8 to be available! We even had a discount because Billy serves the Canadian Forces. Basically, living in this four-star hotel, given that it had already been mostly occupied, was a great relief to yesterday’s consecutive hiccups! One thing we should bear in mind, however, was that a colonel and a lieutenant officer were also staying in the same floor as us. Hence, for the sake of Monticle’s reputation, for the sake of Billy and the impression of Chinese people, we could not mess anything up. Yet, we still messed it up when we were crowding out the dining area for breakfast. Billy needed sleep, so we were spared from waking up early like the days before. What we needed to do was to get ourselves ready beside our respective vehicles before 10:30 am. Hence, we were not required to wake up at specific time. Well, the problem emerged when most of us just went to the dining area together at around 08:30. Other visitors made complaints about us crowding the dining area and sweeping the food out like locusts. Billy was the one who personally received the complaint because he was wearing the same shirt as we students did. More importantly, we leaderships also crammed with team Alpha and Bravo. We leaderships should have better time management and demonstrate ourselves well.
Surprisingly, Billy was not angered by our uncivilized cramming. Instead, he asked us to sit on the parking lot and listen to his easy-going and friendly lecture about leadership and our performance in the morning. At this stage, I just realized that tolerance or forgiveness is also a very powerful weapon to get any problems solved. At least, most of us felt less blameful and guilty… It also gave us opportunity and the right atmosphere to reflect ourselves too.
After that, we just enjoyed a long drive until Hudson’s Hope, in which we found a rental house available for only $209. It originally costs $700 for a night, but as the owner is a military man, we received another awesome discount. Basically, today is a dramatically smooth day. Right now I am enjoying cooking the mash potato and slicing the roasted chicken like a butcher for other people’s dinner. I just love working together with today’s cook – Crystal who has the most brilliant and flexible and creative ideas about cookery, Howard who is so efficient at handling the calculations of reheating the chicken and figuring out the right portions, as well as Marco who occasionally got his fingers burnt but still very good at slicing the carrots and opening the mushroom cream cans with me. What an amazing cooking time! Within an hour for 29 people (excluding Billy), utilizing most of the ingredients bought and wasted almost nothing! Well, we will still keep on learning from the best, who is Billy, as we all know that we still have a great leap apart from Billy’s management skills.

Matthew Kwok
                Wow what a great breakfast today at 4 star hotel “Super 8”. I had waffles, eggs, orange juice and sausages. I also had coffee but that’s to keep me up when I’m co-driver/Navigator. It’s because if we fell asleep when we’re sitting with billy we won’t get our certificate. the breakfast was great because we never get that in Monticle! No offense to Billy; his food is awesome too but I wish we could get orange juice. Today was another dry day; a whole day of driving. But my talk with Billy was interesting. Billy shared with me a quote from a wrestling movie, “ It doesn’t matter how hard you get hit it is if you get up after that hit”. in other words this means don’t give up. now we are staying at a motel in Hudson’s Hope and we are preparing for our Mount Edith hike.

Edwin Chan
                Yesterday after we finished our blog our left tire for the trailer blew up. at midnight we had to take out everything from the trailer just to jack it up so we can change the spare tire. it took us about an hour to finish changing the spare tire. When we were done it took us about and hour to finish changing the spare tire. When we were done it took us about 2 hours to get to the super 8 motel. This morning was a little terrible since we get a complaint from the other people in the motel. we also moved out late today due to everything that happened. So we moved out at noon instead of 9. Not much happened so all we did was drive down from fort Nelson all the way to Hudson’s Hope. Have fun.

Howard
Once again, it ahs been a memorable and eventful day. Today, we left Fort Nelson and drove down to a small town on the way to Jasper, just like yesterday I was/am part of the cooking team, we , the cooking team, started immiediately preparing dinner. It was a lot of hard work but quite satisfying.

Grace
We stayed in a hotel last night. We had a good slept, good shower, and a perfect breakfast. In the morning, after Billy gave us a lecture, we discussed about the plan for the next few days. Staying in the car for more than 10 hours a day us really boring, but it can also be a kind of training.

Lemuel
Funny thing happened last night. Right after writing last night’s blog, we continued to drive up to Fort Nelson. Around 15mins into the drive, we managed to blow one of the tires on the trailer. Took about an hour to change the tire in the middle of the night. Fortunately, we discovered what popped the tire and temporarily fixed it. By 3am, we made it to a four star motel which was great because it cam with a nice free breakfast. We moved out at 12 and drove for around 6 hours to Hudson’s Hope. Right now, we’re staying at a house Billy rented for the night. It’s going to rain tomorrow so we are most likely not hiking up to Mount Edith.

Mike
So a bit more happened after yesterday’s blog was typed, as the left trailer tyre blew up and created sparks. We spent about 2 hours fixing everything and ended up at Fort Nelson at 3 or 4 in the morning. We had no choice but to live at Super 8, which was more hotel than motel, with breakfast included!
Anyways, apart from several delays, today was another travel day, where we travelled to Hudson’s Hope to a house. I don’t know about others, but too me this is rather creepy for a town. It’s just the feel. And since it’s gonna rain tomorrow, we aren’t going to hike, but we are going to go to Jasper.

Jason Wong
We slept at Super 8 motel for the night. We were driving around to find a motel at 3:00 in the morning but the problem was almost all the motel offices were closed except the Super 8. We slept for 4 hours (my original Charlie team) we got up at 8:00 and packed up. We had breakfast at Super 8 because Billy paid for that too. I felt surprised that Billy would take us their. I was hoping that we sleep in the parking lot. We discussed our plan for travelling of today. We were driving to Grande prarie but Billy changed so we were going to Prince George. We stopped in some town the night.

Quince
Today we’ve went to a house and live there for 1 night. The house was awesomely big. The house is in Hudson’s Hope. It got a basement. A LG TV in the dining room and kitchen. Oh, and also one more room with a washroom and a room. So that is the day.

Owen
Here comes miracle. Last night, we all thought that we would sleep in the vehicle again. But, we went to a hotel, Super 8 to stay overnight. Although the services and environment are better than all the motel we had stayed, it cost Billy almost 1000 dollars (Canadian dollars). I think we will be homeless if we stay there again.
After having breakfast in the hotel, Billy held a meeting before start travelling. He said we should improve our time management because we had stormed the kitchen. Other natives and foreigners even couldn’t get a drink. If we have next time, we will do it more better, I swear.
After half of the day, we arrived a entire house to stay one night. The house got 3 floors but all the students were needed to sleep in the basement…
I am ill now because I catch a fever called homesick. Is my brother still playing LOL all day long? Are my parents fine? Which class I will be in the next year? Hope I will have a good answer when the time I arrive HK.

Ryan
                Today was a day of defeat, sadness and most of all dishonor for me. I have become chosen to be leader of the day and anything that could go wrong has actually occurred. My orders were not carried out the way I wished and there is a constant chaos in the area that is always occurring. I feel ashamed of my previous blogs were I thought that the leaderships are not doing enough because when the time came and it was just me to step up on the plate I was unable to deliver. My unbearable sadness of letting not just me and my team but mostly letting Billy down has left me nothing but shame. Most likely that I was unable to listen to what Billy requested of me and I let my own pride cloud my judgment. This has made me unable to get the job done as all I have ever used was tunnel vision. I was unable to see the big picture and many things were left done halfway. I cannot blame the students for forgetting as it was the fact that my orders were not clear enough. Either way I have failed them and I feel like I might not even deserve the orange shirt that I am currently wearing. An orange shirt should be able to lead the team and inspire them like I said earlier of my philosophy on being a leader.  It seems that many of the other leaderships like Tiffany and Mike was able to do this much better than I was ever able to do. I have failed and my pride cut up and discarded. Billy had stated that he only accepts the best but I am feeling more like I am unable to deliver anything he wants least of all be the best. I do not deserve this teaching heck I might not even deserve Monticle or the chance to be among the best if I myself am not one of them.

Crystal
                Waking up after a very comfortable sleep in the Super 8 Hotel, everyone headed down to the lobby for a delicious breakfast. We gathered downstairs outside for a quick meeting & lecture, then after HQ team came back from restocking, we left and continued on the road.
                We drove for many hours and had a few pit stops on the way. While we were on the road, we saw multiple wild animals, many deer, a few bears and even a red fox. After many hours, we arrived in a small town called Hudson’s Hope even though we were originally going to go to Grand Prairie.
                We had a yummy stove-cooked dinner since we are staying in a comfortable house/inn. Tomorrow we are heading Jasper and hopefully won’t have any hiccups tomorrow.


































































5 comments:

  1. to my lovely son~ Owen

    I REALLY REALLY miss u so much!

    Are u OK now? Dont forget to take medicine on time, if possible drink warm water instead of cold.

    Everything is Ok . dont worry about us.

    many exciting programs are waiting for u !

    be strong ! u can do it

    Mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remind me to tell you about this dream I had when you come back. It was about waterbending peanuts and worms, and we were having motorcycle races on bags of water to go save a hostage. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear J.J.,
    You have observed details of the day so well. Maybe you can share/give your opinion and experience to others tactfully. A great leader not only sees the fail part, but also looks at the accomplishment.And he/she has to be able to dig out the potentials of his/her members and help them to grow as well.

    Dear Jenn,
    You know your words are so powerful and somtimes influence people a lot. You give yourself chances and also give others chances--I like the way you are.

    Dear Ryan,
    After today's(yesterday's) duty, you seemed to see something you didn't notice before and experience a great shake. That's not a bad thing at all. Don't be so frustrated . Wash up and take a rest. Get ready for tne next day. Add oil!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yo jenn, guess what
    i donated blood today
    i wish u were there
    i feeel tired but i feel so great like i was the happiest person at the blood donating place
    we got to do it together one day, maybe christmas holidays
    i no what u mean, words are powerful as shit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Edwin (Cheung)
    today is my birthday, will eat out the whole day with papa and Davin.
    you take care and be happy.
    Mom with love

    ReplyDelete