Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Trans Canada Expedition - Day 24


Aug 06, 2013 – Day 24
Locations: Regina, SK; Moosomin, SK; Hadashville, MB
Today is another day of driving. Our destination: past Winnipeg to Riverside Motel. We started out our day bright and early, having cereal for breakfast before leaving on our journey. We drove and enjoyed the plains of Saskatchewan until we reached the Saskatchewan-Manitoba border. Right before the border, we stopped for lunch. The sky looked like it wanted to rain, but since the weather report said that the weather is the same further south-east. We had a few miscommunications, a few arguments, but what’s past is past. Things sort themselves out.
After lunch, the convoy continued. We pushed past the invisible line of the border towards Manitoba. With flat land everywhere we look, we passed Winnipeg and actually saw a sign that stated we had just passed the centre of Canada.
We finally reached our destination. An amazing thing happened: when we went to get six rooms, they gave us the same price as last time’s five rooms. The owners are so nice! Everyone unloaded the luggage, the ‘cleaning’ team cleaned up the sprinters, and the ‘cooking’ team cooked dinner. Before dinner starts, we heard some amazing piano playing played by someone we all know. After dinner, the ‘tent’ team cleaned the dishes before everyone gathered and played a game of ‘grab the thumb’. The ones who lost each round formed a drama team. Each team had to play a scene of one of the expedition days. Everyone had fun.

Mich. F
I bet that I might have made a wrong assumption in last night’s blog. Anyway, I start with that because I don’t know what to start off.
Mom, Billy showed me your primary confirmation of allowing me to join the walkathon next year. Thank you for trusting Billy and me. Billy told me that he will teach me how to apply universities in Canada with a request of deferring for a year or so. So, don’t worry too much mom and didi. I will have a conversation very soon with Billy about that walkathon :)
Anyone who is looking my blog, please look at the photos first, or else the following content might sound unconvincing to you guys. Thanks!
I got inflammatory wound on my right knee because of poor personal hygiene. Probably because I did not take shower daily before, I got three inflammatory spots since the trip has started. I have two on my right knee and thigh, one on my right armpit (OMG). After our revisit to the Riverside Motel (where I fell down and got injured when I tried to carry Mike and sprint), Billy did a ‘surgery’ with me. The yellow liquid started to come out continuously like the lava from the volcanoes. Volcano is the perfect metaphor for my injury because firstly it looks like a volcano, secondly it burns like hell when Billy squeezed the yellow liquid from the swollen spot. I started to feel guilty now because I realized that every time I participated Billy’s program, I always got injured and got Billy’s medical kit active. If you want to know more, just have a look on my past blogs.
Other than that, I got problems with no.1 excretion. Once I want to pee, I just can not hold it and I need it so badly. Billy told me the reason behind – perhaps it is because of the reversal of the biological hours. I am not sure about that because it is the 24th day already. Anyway, I hope I will still be one piece back to Hong Kong, ask Billy for anything more that is worth learning before leaving, learn how to make Blueberry Cheesecake from Vingi and have a crazy shopping in Cotsco!
Just relax! Preparing myself back to civilization!

Kendra
Drive, drive, drive… Today was another day full of driving. So bored, but we left Saskatchewan behind and headed to Manitoba. I don’t know why but everyone seemed they had to go to the bathroom today. The first time we asked for a stop, everyone had to wait about an hour before stopping. At that stop, we also had lunch. The lunch was a good variety… Then, we had a short leader lecture about passing the right message and communicating well. At Winnipeg, we stopped again… Finaly, we arrived at Riverside Motel. Yes, it’s like that the fourth day all over again. I am having déjà vu!

Calvin
Today we arrive at our destination of Riverside Motel. The very same motel that we slept in before. We are that much closer to home. I have just been driving all day and still have energy left. I guess that Redbull really helped  me wake up. We only 3 more days until the program is over. Hopefully nobody pushes themselves too far.

Kathy
Today was the twenty-fourth day in monticle. Our trip just left three days. I was the first codriver in our car today. I thought it should be much easier than to be a navigator, but in truth I always felt sleepy by my work time, and I could not fall asleep, it was very hard to did. We still travelled a long time today, so when I finish my work, I continue to finish our group’s writing work and playing cards with others in the afternoon I don’t want finish the trip in so short time.

JJ
Today was a fairly quick day. We packed up and loaded once again in the morning from the Knight’s Inn. We pushed to the Manitoba-Ontario border today from Regina. We were on the road for about nine ours as we started moving out at around ten and we got to the motel at around six in the afternoon. We even stopped at the Riverside motel again. Ahh, this brings back so many memories, from the first trans Canada trip and from when we came here few days ago.

Marco
I am so happy that we reached our target for today. We are in Winnipeg now. We are staying at the first motel we stayed at., We are also at the same room! Now I am at to washroom writing because I have no time to write but I also need to poo. It was really fun at the vehical today, we were listening to the radio and it was also my first time being the guy who speaks at the radio. We just finished dinner, I was helping Billy cook with Mich. F, Howard and Crystal. The dinner was really good. Anyways bye I have o hand it in now.

Alan
Today is the 24th day of our trip, we continued our trip to Toronto. We stopped at our motel at about 7:00 pm. It was the motel we went to at day 4. This motel is pretty good exept for the water, the water is rusty so I am not planning to shower tonight. When we got there we unloaded our stuff and got into our rooms.  After that we ate dinner.

Crystal
After a very nice sleep at a nice motel, we packed up and had our cereal-rice milk breakfast. We then left for our next destination. Doing nothing much, we drove for long hours today and travelled from Saskatchewan to Manitoba.
We are going to enter Ontario tomorrow since we are so close to the border already. After a few more days we will be home in the time for graduation. Can’t wait!

Lemuel
We’re almost at Canada which also means we’re almost finish with our expedition. From Regina, we moved along the Trans Canada highway heading east and made our way to Manitoba. Currently, we are spending the night at the Riverside Motel just a little bit past Winnipeg. This motel happens to be the same motel we stayed at in day 5. Fortunately for us, the owner liked us last time we stayed and gave us an extra room for free. If all goes well, we may arrive back to Toronto without any problems.

Tiffany
Today started out rather chaotic. But everything kind of fell back in place as we reached the deadline Ryan was L.O.D. today (leader of the day), again, thus leading everyone to conclutions. But as time passed, things began to mess up. At the first stop, everyone ran out the vehicle, as our LOD was asleep, we hurriedly let the urgent people go and ended up getting yelled at. I had things to say, consider people’s benefits right? But as the day progressed, Ryan began to understand other’s thoughts and everyone to begin with their efficiency. Back to where we stayed at day 4, memories begin to flow back, I am going to miss you guys! Btw, mom, dag, Billy mentioned a cross-canada walk “St.. John newfoundland to vancouver.” a 7000 kilo walk, 300 days challenge, 2014. Can I please go? Pretty please <3 anything="" different="" do="" figured="" home="" i="" internet="" keep="" many="" on="" op="" out="" school="" span="" studies.="" sugar="" to="" up="" ways="" will="" with="" works="">

Quince
Today we headed to Manitoba and we are near Ontario. Booya! 4 days till the expendition is finished. Aww. Well, we travelled almost the hole day. We ate timbits from tim hortons for lunch. Yummy. Dinner is unknown. The only clue is that it is spegetti and with ham. Right now, I am very hungry and it is 6:40 o.m. 32 seconds. SO today is a sleeping day. Which means board day.

Howard
I would love to write a page on today, speak of exciting adventures, wondrous sights, inspiring moments and awe my audience, but sadly, I spent most of the day unconscious. I don’t know the cause of the random and arbitary drowsiness is but it caused me to crash inside the car. However, hopefully this will mean that I’ll be wide awake tomorrow maybe?

Mike
                We’re back at the Riverside Motel and it feels so close compared to the first day we were here. This location finally made me realize how close I am to completing this trip and how I have to go back to HK.
                Today was also relatively boring, as we left Knight’s Inn and drove towards our motel with a lunch trip in between. When we arrived, we had pasta with secret sauce, which was pretty spicy.
                Anyways, Billy also told us about “7K 300”, which stood for 7000 kilometers in 300 days. This trip is basically a walk from St.John to Victoria, or vice-versa. This trip is special as we’re walking with a support RV and sleep+cook in the RV. Although I really want to do this walk, it starts next year September all the way to May/June, just in time for 2014 summer programs. Sadly, I don’t think I can join cause I’m in Grade 10 and Grade 10 is pretty important.

Ryan
Today I was leader of the day. I feel it is a gracios opurtunity for redemption. Personally I beleieve that I suceeded quite well. There was very minor pickyps being the only one when the gas station got swarmed. After that it was a very light following routine.
I feel quite overjoyed that nothing went wrong but other then that all was well. Billy said that he will start telling us more leaders hip things soon I hope I can learn from that

Owen
The time flies. The start of the trip seems just like yesterday. After eating breakfast, we started to travel back to Toronto.
The views were same as the views we got in the first few days. The time we used was more similar to Toronto.
                Our distance between HQ were closer and closer.
                On the vehicle, Billy told me some stories about his childhood. He started working when he was 13 years old and went to Canada by his own hands. By the way, he is planning a 300 days of walking through Canada next year. Michael will be his first student, so good….
                We arrived a motel. Guess what? This motel was the motel that we stayed in the third day. The owner gave us one more room as he remembered us.
                Something weird happened. I heard someone playing piano in a place of unknown. I am going to find out where and who is playing the piano now.
                Bye!

Jason Wong
We didn’t get a timing for today to wake up so my group woke up at 6:00 a.m. and watched t.v. until Jennifer knocked on our door and told us loading/job plan. We had rice krispies cereal with milk for breakfast. Our destination for today was to get near the border of Ontario and Manitoba. Ryan was today’s leader because he got a second chance. The jobs everyone had yesterday except for navigation was the same which wasn’t surprising. We stopped at a gas station for refuelling and lunch. We had 2 slices bread, apple, pudding and 2 timbits. I had strawberry-banana pudding which tasted awful. I forgot to mention that we also had canned sausage for lunch. We are staying at the same motel. As I’m writing I’m patiently waiting for dinner.

Jenn Wang
I had this blog post all planned out in my head when I was in the shower, but now that I’m actually sitting down in front of the computer, the words escape me. To start with, I’d like to apologize for my strong reaction yesterday. I felt like Billy’s words were directed at me personally and I felt like it was uncalled for. Now that everything is cleared up, I feel pretty embarrassed. At the situation, I felt like I handled it well, except for the venting in my blog. That was also uncalled for, though I think it was good to get it out instead of letting the thoughts fester.
We also arrived at our destination on schedule at the Riverside Motel we stayed at on our third day. I needed to de-stress and so I asked to use the landlady’s piano. She agreed, and soon enough, the sound of music had attracted a few of the students who’d found me. Their orders were to stay in their rooms, though I felt that they could stay and listen because they were bored and finished their work and they were quiet and well-behaved. Apparently playing piano ruined the discipline of the group. I won’t argue with that because they did disobey orders. Though I believe that they should not have been forced to stay in their rooms to begin with. Well, tomorrow we’re heading east and I’m on the discipline team. Hoo rah.
Also, I am making plans to do the 7K/300. Be warned! Be prepared! I am doing this, even if I am unable to walk the entire way, I’ll come along as support staff. I will be there to support all you others that take up this challenge!

Edwin Cheung
Today, we have a ride back from Regina to Winnipeg. It take us a few hours. We have a few break. We had Pouing, bread, apple and soda. It was good. We ride for sometime and we went over the boadare head back to Riverside motel.

Mireille
Today I woke up at 7am, then I help to load up the luggage. I was in the same car of Calvin, Marco, Mike, Jennifer, Jason, Edwin Chan, Grace and Ryan. Then at 11:40 am we stop to a gas station to fuel up and we ate lunch. We had Tombies from Tim Hortons with sausage, bread, poutine, apple and fresca. It was a good lunch. Then I was in Alpha’s car for the first time as navigator. Billy said to me a lot of interesting thing. At around 5:30 pm we made another break to pi and fuel up. At that time I changed again the car to go to Bravo vehicle. So today I was in the 3 cars. Today we go through Winnipeg and will sleep near from this city. We’ll stay in the same motel that the 5th day and eat spaghetti for dinner.

Matt
Today is day 24 of our trip and our boring rides back continue. We passed Regina and Winnipeg today and now we are staying in Riverside Motel. We stayed in that hotel in day 5. It feels like we were here yesterday except we’re playing cards instead of cleaning. Luckily it rained today, washing off the dirt on the vehicles and making it easier to clean, when we get back to HQ. Everyone is still keeping the high standards, luckily. Recently Billy has mentioned a big expendition that will take 300 days and it is a walk from St.John toVictoria. So basically from Newfoundland and Labrador to British Columbia. Now mom and dad we all know why I am mentioning this and that is CAN I GO! I understand that I have to skip/miss grade 11. So I have figured out a plan where I join them during the summer time. So if they are in Winnipeg when I am my summer break starts I will fly there and join them. If they don’t finish by then than I’ll find an airport to fly back. But if you do agree to let me go the full thing than I’ll have no choice but to do online courses. I hope you will consider these ideas instead of saying NO. It is because I really want to go.

Edwin Chan
Today we left from Knight’s Inn to head back to Riverside Motel where we stay at on the third day of driving for Trans Canada. The distance from the Inn to the Motel was 700km now we only have 3 days to get to Toronto and it would be the end of Trans-Canada. O well that’s all now. Have fun.

Mickey
We get up at 7:00, leave at 8:00. The lunch is delicious. Has sausage, bread, drink fresca and everyone have apple! Tonight we will get in the metel about the 7:00. Now is 6:27. I think today have nothing special thing. Oh. I heart Ryan was cry, about the work. He always just gave instroctions other, but he won’t do anything. I know who is right, but I don’t know how to say. In fact, I scare say more thing I know that.
Good night.

Roman
We are almost back home! We are at Riverside Motel once again (we were here on Day 5 of the Trans Canada West Expedition). The nice lady that owns the Motel even gave us one free room. There is a piano at the motel, I can play it after I write my blog. As this expedition is coming to an end, I can feel that everyone is being more friendly to each other… like one big family!

Justin
We seem to travel faster on our return trip back to Toronto. This morning we were in Saskatchewan, by night, we were only kilometers from Ontario. Two more days, and we will be back in Toronto . Four more days, and I will be on the plane back home.
Twenty-four days is just a blink of an eye, but filled with laughter and tears. I hope time freezes and I can treasure these valuable moments. Moments that I will always remember.

Grace
After a day’s driving, we are now in Menitoba, and we are now in the motel we stayed last time here. We only left for about more than 2 weeks, there are already some changes here; the lawn in front of us is greener and taller, the cat is now thinner, and there were two beds in room 10, while now only one. Our team slept in room 10 before, and now it looks totally different. The summer vacation is almost over, but I can still clearly remember what I did on the first day of the holiday. Now I can understand why we need to write our blogs, time flies, we cannot memorize all the things happened, so they can help us remember the happy things even after years.




























































































3 comments:

  1. Dear Edwin (Cheung)
    You wear so little when many others are putting on their jacket. Hope you are doing well.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Billy, Are u an opium? Kids are all addicted to u wor... We are getting envy.... Chloe

    Michael F., Though I don't know u in person, u are so famous in Monticle I heard about u from Billy all the time. I hope u won't find it too odd that another mom drop a few lines for u. I want to give u a "Like" on the blog these few days simply because u finally reveal a complete u to everyone. Apart from the pride of being Monticle #1 and a DBS boy, I can see from your blog u are now relax and enjoy the trip totally. Cheers! Chloe, Mom of Tiffany

    Tiffany, are u going to achieve IB 43 or up for me and daddy? Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Howard:

    Happy Birthday!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete