Monday, August 5, 2013

Trans Canada Expedition - Day 23



Aug 05, 2013 – Day 23
Locations: Fantasyland Hotel – Edmonton, AB; Lloydminster, AB/SK; North Battleford, SK; Regina, SK
After a fantastic night at Fantasyland Hotel, we woke up the usual time and packed up our luggage. There were some good jobs along the way and some disappointments along the way. We received our morning hiccup: another one of the sprinters’ back tire is deflated. We tried to pump air into the tire with the tire gauge that broke the other day. It didn’t work since there was a crack in the equipment. With no way of inflating the tire, the spare tire was taken out and changed. While the HQ team changed the tire, we received a few tips about tire changing and contingency plans. We left soon after when that was done. We drove to Lloydminster, Wal-Mart to make lunch and buy food supplies for the remaining trip. The sky darkened considerably, and as soon as we brought the food back to the sprinters, it rained. We hurried to put the supplies away. Unable to make lunch, we left town. We drove to North Battleford, with the intention of making lunch, but it was on the verge of raining. So we ended up buying donuts from Tim Hortons to pass out. Our next target is a town before Regina, but we missed our stop and so we found a motel in Regina. It is near the end of our Trans Canada Expedition, a time when it is easy for us to relax. Because of this, many mistakes could easily happen. We need to focus and keep up our concentration and pay attention to details like at the beginning of this camp.

Mich. F
I bet that the following sentence will be the most common starting sentence or topic sentence in the following blogs. (or at least we will have similar versions of each other,)
Today is day 23, basically a day for long driving to Regina. However, I no longer read my books or sleep in the vehicle for so long or talk to Billy because I am now in a different vehicle. I begin to enjoy another version of long driving – full of party rocking music from the live radio of two different provinces, full of laughter and chit chats and card playing. We also have a radio conversation between all three vehicles about Billy’s crazy plans – walking from Vancouver to St. John in Newfoundland within 300 days. Even though we all sat like a couch potato, our brains and our tongues just kept on spinning and twisting like hydro-electric turbines.
After learning some knowledge about wheels, tires and realms and their importance to the car when the HQ team was changing the tire of the Bravo Blue-plate vehicle, we set off to Regina or somewhere in Saskatchewan. Now you see, crazy driving after luxurious entertainment in the mall plus a big fatty meal of steaks and fries. Because of the stormy weather in Lloydminster and North Battleford, we had a simple lunch of Tim Hortons bakery after having a short washroom break. Originally, I am planning not to eat anything until the next day because of the dinner last night. But when Billy drove us to Lloydminster’s Walmart for restocking, we went crazy purchasing chips, sweets or anything edible and drinkable during our travelling. Probably because we might not have time for camping, we had lost concerns of mosquitoes and the blood sugar that causes swollen mosquito bites. I finally realized why we could not have extremely healthy, almost vegetarian meals during the trip because firstly we do not have time to search for those ingredients and cook them healthily; secondly we do not have the money because healthy food including fresh salad vegetables and fruits are usually expensive in shopping marts or markets; thirdly not everyone of us like so many veggies and oats and other healthy but somehow hateful food on their plates (except oatmeal)… I at some points missed my home-cooked breakfast, lunch and dinner because of their balance on nutrients for Hong Kong indoor-orientated students. But, I of course do enjoy Billy’s meals offering to all 29 of us. I understand that it is just a matter of difference between eastern and western cultures.
P.S. Billy asked me if I will join his over-7000-km walkathon next year. Mom, by then I will be either entering university or sparing a year (or 300 days to be precise) to achieve something sounds unbelievable to me. There is an IB old boy who scored 43 scores two years ago, and he sparred one year not to study university, but to do something that he is willing to achieve but also sounds meaningful and inspiring to everyone (cultural exchange and real life experience). I hope that if we really have a plan about that crazy walkathon, then please allow me to skip that year and do something that you will not even dare to imagine, but substantial. Thank you! If you are not relieved from my life and academic journey, as well as my safety in a foreign country, I and other Monticle members will make an extremely detailed and precise plan to convince you. I do not know if Billy is just making a joke or not. But if it is real, then why not?

Alan
Today is day 23. Today, I had to be navigator. The navigators job is to read the road signs for the driver. I’m kinda sad the road trip is about to end. Today we pretty much tried to rush to Toronto. We stoped at Knights inn it’s a motel but the rooms are really nice. We will try to push to Winnipeg tomorrow.

Quince
So today we drived from Alberta to Saskatwan. It is quite far that we travelled. We slept in a hotel again and we are going to eat dinner after 9:00 pm. We did not do much today. Oh yeah, Billy showed us how to change a tire and a broken hose in the morning.

Jason Wong
My group into the Jacuzzi, the water was warm enough. All the guys sat in the water while the only girl only put her feet in the water. We were watching T.v. while in the Jacuzzi, could not find any good channel so we were watching criminal minds and mentalist. We were supposed to get up at 7:00 am but my group woke up half an hour later at 7:30 am. Billy came to our room to check up on us and said we had to load up our stuff at 8:00 am. Luckily I did not had too much to pack. We had the same seating arrangements as yesterday. Yesterday we changed the seating. We had left over fries from yesterday’s dinner for breakfast. We drove until we had our pitstop somewhere near the Alberta-Saskatchewan border. I did not need go to the washroom. Later we stopped at the Tim Hortons where we had our parking lot sleep (same town). We had doughnuts from Tim Hortons for lunch. As I am writing, we have not reach Regina yet.

Kathy
Today was the twenty-third day in Moticle, we should back to Toronto in four days, so except an hour free time in Walmart. at lunch time, and sleeping time, we spent other tire on the car. It would not be boring. We had a rest on the car, played cards together, raining, maybe we should stay in motel tonight, I start missing our camping tire, but we had not got enough time to do that. Billiy let some leadership to do a long trip’s planning, in the afternoon. I thought it was a hard work, when I heard them discussed, I knew I should learn a lot from them.

Owen
Today is a day of rush. Our plan was waking up at 6:30 am and leaving at 7:45 am. But, our team all woke up at 7:00 am, so we needed to rush to catch up other teams.
Since other teams were similar to us, all of us did not have our breakfast. We all suffered from hunger.
At about 12:00 pm, we arrived a supermarket and a coffee shop. Wait a minute, I rember this place… parking lot? Yes! We had stay one night in here! We slept in this parking lot before!
After shopping, we back to the parking lot and started to have our lunch here. OMG! Thunder storm was coming! We immediately loaded all the stuff in our car and left.
Since the storm was chasing us, we could not find a place safe to have our lunch.
We had arrived a motel at about 8:00 pm. We did not eat any food yet. Hunger had been eaten us up already. Do we really need to eat ourselves!

Mike
Although we lived in a 5-star hotel, I thought that the Super-8 motel was a lot more comfy, though I am not sure why. Today was also a day of “quick” food. This morning was fries and drumsticks for breakfast on the car, as we were already behind schedule and have to gain more ground today. Apart from being behind, we also had to restock on food, so we stopped at the Wal-Mart to buy food to cook lunch at Lloydminister. However, when we left Walmart, we could see a huge storm approaching. By the time we loaded up all the food, rain was falling and we could hear thunder approaching. So thanks to the rain, our lunch was cancelled. Thankfully, I bought some chips at Wal-mart so I had a bit of lunch. After a bit, Billy bought 4 boxes of donuts from Tim Hortons so we could eat, as we were between 2 storms. As the second storm was closely approaching, we quickly ate a donut and left for Regina, our planned stop.
For me, it actually feels weird that this expendition is ending, and that I have to finish my summer HW and go to school. Apart from worrying about my summer HW (Book is at HQ), I’m also somewhat depressed/sad that I have to leave Canada and my friends, some old but most of them are new. Although there is email, facebook, skype etc. I don’t even know if I have time to do so next year and there is the time zone change of 12 hour between HK and Toronto. So yeah, that’s all.

Mireille
There are only few days to arrive at the end of this trip. Today we already arrived to Saskatchewan but maybe we’ll arrive to and then province. We were in car since 9-10 am and now it is 7:30 pm we are still in car because we all late to go back to Toronto. We were only made one break to buy food in Wall-Mart, and normally to eat lunch but it was raining so we skip lunch. I was so hungry but then I ate some crackers and oreo then I felt better. I forgot for lunch we got 1 donut from Tim Horton. I love these donute as if I feel it is a bit sweet. In the vehicule we listen music from radio. Tonight we gonna to stay in Knights Inn Hotel.

Grace
Yesterday night we slept in a five star hotel and had a very good rest. although we did not have time to enjoy the breakfast, we had fries which left over from yesterday. Our schedule has been delayed because there were some problem with the car, the hose was broken so it caused big problem to the wheels, it is just a piece of wire but it is important. From this we can learn that details are important, we need to pay attention to them and have preperation for all the things may happen. There was mud stuck on one side of the wheel: maked the car not balanced. caused the vibration of the car, We stayed in the car all day, and now we arrived in Regina. We are now staying in a very nice motel.

JJ
Today was a relatively simple day. We went from Edmonton all the way to Regina. We started off the day at 07:00 as we woke up from the Fantasy Land Hotel. Bit we only moved out at 0912 as we had to change a flat tire. After we moved out it was basically the same as every after day. Today could have been a bit less boring but I understand that we need to push back to Ontario so we make it back in time. Tomorrow, we will try pushing to Winnepeg, Manitoba.

Tiffany
Leaving in satisfaction, I ran down the elevator as the day started with a flat tire. I finally saw the long practiced tire change! Then we arrived at Lloydminister for lunch, but left a little earlier without eating due to the strong storms arrival. Well, in conclution today was basically a travel day. Nothing much. But ut was fun discussing school life with my fellow team mates. Sigh, 5 more days left, I wanna stay!! I’ll miss everyone <3 p="">

Roman
Today we went all the way to Regina. It was a long ride as usual. But it did not seem long because of al the talking and laughing.
Someone asked Billy: why is the Monticle logo yellow and black? And Billy’s explanation was: the yellow stands for the yellow flowers and the black stands for the soil the allow the flowers to grow. So why yellow flowers? Because 13 years ago whe Billy went with his friends to Mount Edith, he passed by fields and fields of this yellow flower and the flowers had inspired him. The flower is us students and the black soil are the instructors helping us grow into an outstanding leader. The flowers inspired Billy, and Billy inspired me. IT is hard to write all of it down. I love you guys!

Marco
In the early morning, we woke up at the awesome hotel. We are going to Rigina. I am not sure if we went to Rigina last time but it seems really nice. The place we are living at is Knight Inn, it is a really good place but not as good as the hotel yesterday. I have got to rush my blog because I have to help cook. Bye now.

Mickey
Yesterday was so reliax. But today… we stay in the car more than 10 hours. I do co-driver all time, even I love do this jok, in fact I really want to sleep now. And more important is no breakfast. no lunch, no dinner. This is not Billy’s wrong. Is the weather. It was raining when we perpar to had lunch! Oh! bon-chicken! We are more and more close Toronto. See you later! Good night! Thanks Monticle everybody. NCPA standby!

Ryan Hoang
Today was a day of many obstacles for me. I have accidently overslept and only awaken when Billy opened the dor. IT seems that all our alarms had failed. That is when after Billy told all of us that “if you can’t even do the simplest jobs how can you be trusted to do the more important jobs.” This really hit home when Billy being one of the few people I respected in this trip tells me that it makes me really down.
Following that my body seems to constantly resting non-stop. It is as if I suddenly got jet lag. Finally Jason Wong took my pen. I do not know if I accidently dropped it or something but he had it and did not stop mocking me about that fact. Constantly saying “it is mine now your fault for losing it.” I did however get it back although not the most correct method. But I am completely fine with that. I am sick and tired of his constant mockery and bossing us students around like he is the “Governor”. I will do all I can to keep this pen. This is my families not just mine. I now await my punishment.

Howard
After last night’s graduation celebration, it is time to resume our trip back home. We left the fancy hotel late in the morning. Due to my very little work yesterday, I was navigating again today as well as part of the cooking team. While I sat in the long-wheel base’s co-driver seat, an interesting topic struck up. Trying to spark up a conversation, Billy revealed that his favourite colour is yellow because it’s Monticle’s corporate colour which led to the question of why he picked Yellow to be Monticle’s colour. Though I don’t really need to reveal the reason here in this blog post.
Later in the day, we arrived in Lloydminster’s walmart where we had to restock our food supply. I find that it was a truly educational experience watching Billy pick items off the shelfs and telling us to pack them in the shopping cart. One could tell that in his mind he was making and drawing out an accurate plan on what to serve for the remaining meals. He did it so easily yet I’m sure it is actually harder than it seems.
Afterwards, I returned to a sprinter and watched the scenery go by as we travelled the rest of road to Regina. Only a few more days till we get back home.

Justin
Today we were chased after by the bad weather. Moreover, we go, the thunderstorm follows us.
I am struggling on what topic I should write about today. I have been thinking for hours, but still, could not think of a good topic.
A good piece of writing needs inspirations, as well as most of the work of creativity Great writers, great scientists, great artists could not have write great novels, made great discoveries and created great artwork without inspiration.
An inspiration points out the direction and guilds you through the path. An inspiration create so many possibilities and chances, it is the first step of success. Without inspiration, we can’t even make the first step. An inspiration helps us discover ourselves, it ignites our hidden power.
A great leader has to be inspired to inspire others. A leader inspire the weak to make them strong, inspite the incapable to capable.

Kendra
To be a leader, you always have to be prepared. Like today, one of the vehicle’s tire was flat and we needed to change it. Luckily, we brought spare, but unfortunately the hose to pump air into the tire is broken and we don’t have a spare. SO as a leader, you have to be prepared and always have a backup plan. Since the tire had to be changed, we got a lesson on how to change one. Once we get the tire out, Billy told us the problem. The tire was unbalanced, so the vibrations caused the door to keep on opening, which was also another problem.
Today was also a pretty rainy day. We’ve been running away from the rain the whole day. Everywhere we went we heard thunder or saw lightning, at one stop a whole flock flew away at the noise of the lightning. We were suppose to have lunch at a stop, but every stop, it started to rain so we just got donuts. It was mostly driving today too. I am not quite sure about where we are staying today but I think it’s near Regina or in Regina. That was it, only five days left…

Jennifer
Today was Jenn Day. By “Jenn Day,” I mean that it was (still is…) my day as team leader. IT has gone pretty smoothly with the only hiccup being the changing of a tire this morning in the parking lot of the West Edmonton Mall which delayed our departure time by about an hour. Billy took the opportunity to give us a lecture with the broken hose-part-thing (sorry I don’t know the name! I’m no mechanic…) Billy used the broken part as an example that everyone in a large organization has a part to play and that their jobs are important.
I really hope no one took the lecture in the different interpretation that appeared to me: that you won’t be noticed until you mess up. It broke and ceased to function in its for-granted way. It shocked me to come to this interpretation when I was listening and I sincerely hope that no one came away from the lecture thinking that, because I feel as if a lot of time, instructions and given and expected to be followed and no encouragement is offered. Sure, we don’t want to indulge in praise, but an acknowledgement and a thank you for the efficient work does wonders for morale, I’ve found. Speaking of which, whatever high spirits I was in yesterday and that high morale I had was pulled out from beneath me like the metaphorical rug. I am now worried about even speaking. Do you want to know what happened on this vehicle? We wrote out our student assessments, napped, and snacked. Now you know what happened on Charlie vehicle because it garners no suspicion and you know how betrayed and distrusted I feel.
The more I think of what you said, the more upset I become. The upbeat radio station (FM 98.9), Jason Wong’s dancing, and comfort food of the chocolate variety are all that is keeping me relatively okay. That, and the duty of leader of the day that I still have to fulfill. My job is never over, but I am extremely upset because that comment felt like it came out of nowhere and like it meant that I was not to be trusted. If we are like your children to you, Billy, Can we not have your confidence and your trust?

Matt
Today was the beginning of our long drive back home. So pretty much the rest of this trip will be pretty dry. Maybe until we get to the cottage at lake Superior because we might get a chance to go swimming. I think the rest of this trip will be staying in motels. Part of me says I want to go camping. Just because it’s cheaper for Billy.

Edwin Chan
The stay at Fantasyland Hotel by West Edmonton Mall was nice, but now we need to leave to head for Regina. When we stopped at Wal-Mart I switched with Micheal Lo since I was tired. My rest was for about an hour and I switched with Micheal after our pit stop. It took us about 10 hours to get to Regina from West Edmonton Mall. Once we got to the Inn in Regina we quickly unloaded everything and settled down while the HQ team packed all the new food into the boxes. That’s all now Have fun.

Calvin
Today was spent driving a lot and for me also resting. I didn’t do much but drive. I have to say though driving back is much more interesting. It is like putting a new perspective to the same thing. We only have a few days left of our Trans Canada trip, hopefully nobody will feel sad about parting. I also had a random call from my mother. That really cheered me up.

Lemuel
Spent the entirely sitting in the car. From Edmonton, we made our way to Regina. Along the way, we came across Battleford where we spent the night at the parking lot of a Walmart before. Other than that, not much happened.

Edwin Cheung
Today, I woke up in West Edmonton Mall Hotel. We head out at about off to Regina. We are going for 3000 Km back to toronto. Through out the ride we talk about the 2014 tran-Canada Walk. It is crazy. I want to goo. This Take a 300 day walk. I wish I can go.

Crystal
With just a few more days before having to arrive home, we left the Fantasy Land. Hotel very early this morning. Without eating breakfast we quickly loaded up and left Edmonton for our next destination.
We didn’t do much today even though we drove from one province to another. Travelling from Alberta to Saskatchewan. We stopped in a Walmart Superstore located near Saskatoon for food restock shopping and originally a lunch break. However, an unexpected storm was going to hit us soon so we left after restocking.
After many hours of driving we finally crossed the boarder of Alberta and Saskatchewan and then arrived in Regina. We decided to stay for the night and hopefully will be able to reach Manitoba tomorrow.

















































3 comments:

  1. Dear Justin

    Yesterday was the first time I saw the genuine smile on your face.

    I guess you know what the smile stands for - it means the kind of joy and relax after accomplishing something with sweat and pain,

    Keep up the morale! We will see you soon, but I am pretty sure that you will start to miss your friends.

    Btw, don't take it too serious when writing your blog - it's just a record of what have happened and how you feel during the day. You can write something funny and crazy.

    Everybody is fine here - mom dad cats tortoise and spider. Tortoise
    is too hungry and 'eating ' a towel just now.

    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Michael,

    I always believe both you and Natalie are God’s precious gift to me and Didi, and God has plans for all of us. If that is thy plan, why not give yourself a try. But please get your 43/45 IB score first, haha...

    Just like Justin’s reflection, a future leader needs inspiration. May be this walkathon would inspire you to have another kind of achievement in addition to academic.

    Enjoy the remainder of your trip. BTW, would there be any chance for you to put on your suit and school tie?

    Love you always
    Mom & Didi

    ReplyDelete