Thursday, August 18, 2011

Day 31 - NYCCC session 6 & Me3 Enhancement Training completion BBQ for Michael and Edwin










































Anthony Leung

NYCCC session 6 and today was also an activity day. The whole time we were there we played trivial checkers. Unfortunetely, we started with even teams but the more then half the team left after a couple questions thus resulting in a loss. Tonight we will also have a BBQ because Michael is leaving this Saturday.

Calvin Su

Today I came in and helped Michael and Edwin clean up the office, when everyone else came we had a small PT. Most of the time we were doing missing hans. In the afternoon we went to NYCCC to play travia checkers and have a small PT lesson

Edwin Lo ☺

Today I woke up at half pass six. Then, I went to Billy house to call to mum. After I rode on Billy’s car and went to buy the breakfast. Then, I went to Monticle. After, I clean the Monticle. After finish, I did a pt. finished that, did a AAR( after action report). Then, I ate my lunch and I went to NYCCC to do the pt and played the chessker.

Jason

This morning we did a little PT. then we typed the ar because we didn’t do it yet, when we finish the ar we played some monopoly city for the rest of the morning. after lunch we went to NYCCC to have a travia checker game.

Andy

When Jerome spotted some of us teat the PT equipment as if they were toys he made us ALL do the invisible chair(That taught us an important safety lesson) Later, he made someone do the invisible chair at NYCCC. I won’t say who, but the most important lesson I learned today was that only the Most Determined people would be taken into the Monticle program.

Alastair Yu

Today we started out the day with a little PT, weight training. Westarted with some weights, then moved onto the invisible chair. For some reason, find the invisible chair a lot easier then the rest of them, and I’m able to hold it for a longer time. After that we were instructed to finish up AARs from the past month. I finished the Niagara trek AAR, and I relived some great memories, and some not so great memories. After words, we played some monopoly city, ate lunch, then went to NYCCC. There we had one of the worst classes at NYCCC.

Edwin

Today, we up early and we wene to office and did a clear up on theoffice. Then we meet our friend. We did the AAR for the past few weeks. Then we went to NYCCC for PT for them and we play monticle cheaker. At last I did the blog. This week be my last few day stay heve. I will go to school. I will good. I want to go to army or Air force. Tomorrow we will do som laser techno. I will have a lot of fun.

Michael Fung

Actually yesterday was the official end of my Me3 enhancement training, after I had finished Across Lake Ontario. Well, I had been staying here with Monticle since 6th of July, and I have actually stayed here for almost month and a half, from the Me3 program of Team Alpha to Enhancement Training of myself and Billy, including the Trek team to Niagara, Across Lake Ontario, Kayak Camping at Darlington etc. The most thing I have done in Canada is first - kayaking, followed by assembling kayaks, eating sandwiches, talking about 'dirty' stuff :) so on so forth. Nonetheless, from these activities, I knew that Monticle didn't upset me from wasting the fees and summertime. Last year was my first attempt with Monticle, knowing how to be independent, how to communicate with people with different cultures, how to maintain a healthy body etc. This year I got a physically fit body, but not yet mentally prepared because I sometimes was too self-confident, especially at different physical activities like the Niagara walk. Therefore, Billy prepared another kind of education for me this year - to change my perspective throughout my behaviour. For example, not offering any opportunities to choose. Well, you might get a bit confused on what I am talking about like what? Billy didn't give me chances? Man, we got freedom of choice in Canada! Hopefully, I could enjoy freedom of choice, but sometimes in reality, you might get trapped when you encounter any obstacles. If you find out difficulties, you will think about the freedom of CHOICE, and then you start to choose the alternative - give up. You give up once, then you might give up twice, then probably followed by your third, fourth, and even more... However, if you just choose giving up, you will not achieve anything that you want to. That's what Billy intended to tell me - you need to deal with no matter what in your life, even if it's easy or not. Hope this will change your way of thought about FREEDOM OF CHOICE!!!
Besides, I also learned a lot from kayaks. First is the importance of the FOUNDATION (of kayak). Tilted foundation can only hold tilted buildings - surface to surface right? Therefore, if you don't take it serious, it might lead to your death (kayak to submarine...) or failure in the future.
After this 30 days enhancement training, I could identify myself as an intermediate kayaker. I had kayaked around Centre Islands for quite a few times, well you could be able to see me in almost every photo consisting a kayak with CN tower as the back ground :). However, the most impressive kayak trip was across Lake Ontario - paddling with Billy who hadn't slept for almost two days and felt so stressed out after tons of work, paddling overnight, drinking pocari sweat and 'chicken extract' on the water, going pee on a Tupperware box, eating freaking spicy Beef Jerky while using some extremely special method to wake ourselves up, watching sun rise almost at the water horizon, keeping the momentum non-stop, watching a big fish jumped off the water surface because of getting scared by the waves produced by our paddles, probably most stressed moment of Billy because of the lack of sleep but still keep going, the feeling of auto pilot while sleeping... Lots and lots to tell, but sorry that me and Billy couldn't share the exact feeling with anyone else. :)
The biggest challenge is not about physical demand, but to fight against myself - sleepiness when kayaking, and the aggressiveness and selfishness when walking to Niagara Falls, mainly. As Billy told me to be well-prepared for my physical body last year, I did work out - waking up at 5 in the morning and ran for almost 10 km every day. I did too much exercise, so I just output too much, and therefore I was just too lean... therefore once I had arrived at Canada, Billy just fed me like hell! I needed to build up more muscles, especially to do lifting,loading up goods and especially kayaks :) We need a lot of strength to lift the K2 up as it weighs 39 kgs - therefore, sorry mum, I have already adapted eating two-men size or Monticle Size food, so... I felt a bit sorry for your wallet to pay me two set lunches in Hong Kong as you know that the portion in Hong Kong is kind of SMALL... But the good news for you, Mom is I can finish all your ice cream before you eat at night, which means I can help you keep fit :)
Last but not least, I am not coming to Canada next year, because I will probably visit China with my parents the next summer. Even though I want to come to Canada, Billy won't teach me or take me as his student, because he said that students can only 3 times of enhancement training. I had one last year, followed by this year, and the 3rd one will probably be two years later, before I go for my first year in the university. Once I have done the training with Billy, my relationship with Billy will be changed from teacher-student to friend-friend, because he will let me know about the reality of the world, then I will arrive Billy's world, or probably businessman's world :P Well I will wait, but hopefully I can achieve more and learn more with Billy so on...
See you Monticle next two years! Hope I have left out good memories with you guys :D
(Originally I still got tons to tell, but I just can't fit them in or else the blog will be quite boring... I will keep them in mind and apply them in the future :))

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Michael & your family for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edwin, you are way better than before, good job & well done. Keep up with it and good luck for RLA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandraca (Michael's aunt)August 19, 2011 at 1:13 PM

    Dear Billy,

    You gave Michael a wonderful wonderful experience that surely benefits him forever! We are so fortunate finding you and Monticle - such a unique and devoted group!!!

    A BIG thank you to the whole Monticle Team for all your kindness and devotion afforded Michael during his trip. I could never said enough thank you to you all.........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael, you are so lucky to have a great mentor and so many good friends who have enriched your lifetime and let you have so much precious moments and experiences. You must treasure all you have and share with others.

    Billy, thank you so much again for guiding Michael to start a new chapter in his life. I must also say thank you to Vingi for her big help and support to Natalie and Michael.

    Last but not least (what Michael always said), I would like to send a big THANK YOU to all the Monticle instructors, staff and students (the future leaders) - Calvin, Alastair, Anthony, Jason (Wang & Wong), big & small Edwin, Andy, Jenn, Michelle (can’t name all) for sharing so much fun with Michael.

    Love you all
    Samantha

    ReplyDelete