Thursday, August 16, 2012

Charlie Group Day 5, 6, 7 at camp

Aug. 13th, 2012 - Charlie Group Day 05
Today was Charlie group’s first taste of the great outdoors; and for some of them, also their first time hiking. Bravo team, after winning the K2 competition yesterday, slept at the apartment last night (and had hot water showers, might I add). They arrived at HQ at around 8:00 in the morning, while Alpha group (the former reigning K2-holding champions) finished packing their bags for our four day camping trip.

We had a quick breakfast of sandwiches and juice before going on to clean up HQ before we left. While we cleaned, we packed up and loaded all the necessary equipment onto the Sprinters. This took a few hours of hard work, then we were on our way, arriving at Warsaw Caves Conversation Area and Campground after a three-hour drive. We set up our tents after a late sandwich lunch. After getting acquainted with the area, we went on a 7 km hike. As it was getting late, we took a shortcut, finishing the hike in a neat two hours.

We came back to make a dumpling dinner as well as a campfire. Tomorrow we go canoeing!

Aug. 14th, 2012 - Charlie Group Day 06
We started the day with 50 push-ups. These were both punitive as well as constructive. Punitive because some of us were noisy even after lights-out time last night; constructive because we needed warm up for the day’s activities, as well as the fact that we needed to develop stronger shoulders. Why do we need to develop stronger shoulders? As future leaders, we must be prepared to pull our own weight, as well as shoulder the burden of someone else’s—by growing stronger.

And now onto the main course— canoeing, which we spent the better part of the day doing. Now, canoeing is something that is rather difficult to describe; it’s an experience that is unique to all of us, as it depends on the time and place, as well as the person. Are you the type to admire the scenery, the flora and the fauna, calling out “fish!” every time you spot one? The type fixated upon untangling your paddle from the plant life of the riverbed and trying not to capsize, or trying to stay in sync with your teammates? Or are you one to be preoccupied with paddling out to Billy as fast as you can, racing out before the others, in order to obtain the ever-elusive beef jerky prize?

We followed the Indian River, three people to a canoe, until we reached a dock at Warsaw where we stopped for lunch. Our meal took longer than originally estimated, partly due to the long wait at the restaurant (the fresh, hot food surely made up for the queue). After, we were quickly on our way, travelling upriver back to the boat launch where we’d started. There, we practiced some essential skills while paddling a canoe solo—which proved to be harder than some of us had anticipated. Our performance allowed for the instructors to see how we would fare in the Lake Ontario crossing later on in the program. As a note for the people who were either pushed or pulled into the water, the water temperature today was actually pretty warm.

After returning all of the rented equipment, we went to buy firewood. All of us helped by carrying as much as we could back to our camp site (which was quite a walk, let me tell you). Now, we are cleaning up the grit from our clothes, and shall I say, cleansing ourselves, while preparing what is sure to be a delicious dinner. Tomorrow, we are going cave diving (also known as spelunking)!

Aug. 15th, 2012-08-16 - Charlie Group Day 07
Today started off with a chilly morning; there was a light mist surrounding our campsite. There was also a sprinkle of rain, but that cleared out soon enough. We ate a breakfast of Nutella sandwiches, oatmeal, and hard-boiled eggs to keep us energized for the events of the day. Today, we were able to experience the eponymous Warsaw Caves. Spelunking was a new experience for most of us. It was also quite a challenge for some of our more claustrophobic students; but they were able to push past their fear and explore the narrow caves along with the rest of us.

A few of the caves had long passageways with high, almost vaulted, ceilings and wide chambers, while others were tight squeezes in which none of us would have been able to pass through. Some of the low ceilings proved to be quite hazardous—tonnes of limestone rock.... plus human flesh and skull.... equals pain. In one of the caves, the only exit was simply up—you had to climb up a sheer rock wall to get out of the narrow confines of the earth. There was also a spring that we visited, with pure water that bubbled up from beneath the caves. There were many damselflies and crayfish, as well as tiny fish in the area.

We had a lunch of noodles and green beans when we returned to camp, and the students satiated their hunger. They ate a lot. We did some activities with our instructor, Kannis. First we were separated into three teams, then we had a game of reflexes that is very hard to explain in words—sitting in a circle, with hands crossed over the hands of the adjacent person, we had to tap our hands against the table in a certain order. Other rules were added, and the game quickly became more challenging with the addition of rules to reverse the direction as well as motions to skip hands. Next, we had to find an object to represent something we treasured, then someone else would hide it, and another person would find it. Some people were unable to find their items due to insufficient information or overly cryptic hints.

The unifying element of these activities was something called “Nikki-nikki-nakku-nakku-appu-aa-ah” (forgive my poor spelling, I am simply sounding it out phonetically, which is the name of a fish in Hawaii. However, in our case, it meant something along the lines of a group, or a team—something strong. This is a concept that some of the groups were able grasp, but still, others were unable to fully understand it, yet.

Henry and Edwin Lo are leaving to return to Hong Kong today. They will be missed by us! Hope the two of you have a safe trip home!

Andrew

Aug. 13th
Today was very facinating and exhausting. I am very excited that I have finally arrived to the camping site, I can finally explore the great outdoors! When I arrived at the camp site, my teams and have have set-up a tent so that we have a spot to sleep. After setting up the tent I went off to hike in the woods Even though it was tiring, I was able to take a peek at the magnificent scenery: Other than the annoying insects, I am positive that I will have a great experience here!

Aug 14th
Today was very exhausting and wet. We learned the importance of teamwork through constant canoeing. If my team fails to cooperate while canoeing, We would be behind the other canoes. Luckily, my team and I were well coordinated. After swiming from point A to be, we raced from point B to A. Well racing, we managed to soak some of the instructors. Even though the weather was raining in random intervals, I had a lot of fun.

Aug. 15th
Today was very adventurous. We explored many caves, and this was probably something that I will ever experience. Even though the caves held quite an obstacle, it was very enjoyable, nonetheless. The terrain outside of the caves were very captivating, nothing like I have seen before. Even though today is the very last day at the camp site, it was fun while it lasted.


Andy

Aug. 13th
Having spent the night at HQ (we lost the K2 Challenge), this morning we packed and were off to Warsaw Caves conservation area. There was a bugging incident during the 2-hour car ride, but I’ll let William tell you that, if he wants.
At Warsaw campgrounds, I was put into Bravo tent team and we assembled our tent.  Really felt the heat as I was wearing long sleeves and warm pants. I never expected it to be so warm before.
By the time we set out for hiking it was quite late, so we didn’t finish the 7km trail and had to take a shortcut back to home base. I didn’t mind as I was so exhausted, and everyone else was so tired, bees were buzzing all around us as we wrote our blogs.
As I have been camping many times before, I am sort of used to this natural environment. Only the insects were bugging me, but I am learning to get used to it.

Aug. 14th
The sounds of the forest were undistracting after a night in which we set out campfire. After a not-so-quiet sleep we began the day with push-ups, to prepare us for the canoeing trip that would follow.
                Several minutes (maybe twenty or so) minutes walk led us to the canoe launch deck. We set our on our way, and personally I enjoyed the scenery. Occasionally we ran into seaweed and lilypads when I grew afraid of mosquitoes and dragonflies.
                The canoe ride took two hours, and we arrived in Warsaw village for lunch. I had no cash on hand, but I wanted to eat. After questioning Raymond for a while, we settled on a deal, which should be kept in privacy.
                The real fun began on the return trip, when we had to travel in twos and threes. On the latter we got splashed by some of the instructors. So we took revenge and splashed them back amist cracking several jokes. No doubt I was all wet during my blog writing and my dinner tonight.
Aug. 15th
On the third out of four days at Warsaw Caves, we finally got the opportunity to explore the seven caves in the campground and conservation area. They were dark, indeed, and hard to navigate through, but as long as we wore proper clothing, like me, we could get through without any trouble, and indeed, we all came out in one piece.
                The activities after lunch were led by Kennis, guest instructor lady from HK. There was the slap game, which I cannot explain in one blog entry, and a ‘hidden treasures’ activity which was had to comprehend. As today was very hot and sunny, bugs were everywhere. At one time the game was stopped because a monarch butterfly landed near us and we cramped to take a look.
                I am glad I am sort of getting used to bugs. I only hope they don’t land on me and give me rashes and other similar effects. (Thank goodness we’re all going back home to HQ tomorrow, except the Lo brothers who left for HK tonight)

William

Aug. 13th
We woke up to bright and sunny morning. As Billy drove us back to Hq, I remembered this was the day we would be going camping. As we packed up our needed belongings, we did a final cleanup and set off. We arrived at approximately 2:20 at Warsaw caves and set up our tents. Then we went on a two hour hike which made us all really tired.

Aug. 14th
We spent the majority of the day on canoes paddling on water. I woke up early this morning and prepared my bags for the day. Once everybody woke up, we all waited for breakfast, which was oranges and bread with ham. When everyone was finished eating, we all set off to pick up our lifejackets, paddles and canoes. One by one we set off on the water. We paddled for an hour or so, then we docked next to a convenience store and had lunch. When we finished we raced each other back to the campsite. Tomorrow we’re going spelunking. That completes another exciting and fun day.

Aug. 15th
I woke up late today ad forgot to fold my sleeping bag. I wore long pants and a long sleeve shirt this morning because I knew we were going to be spelunking today. Raymond, who was leading this activity told us that we were going to get really dirty so I brought as little as possible. I brought my water bottle, my flashlight and my jacket, in case it rained. During this experience, I did many things I couldn’t before. I think I learned a lot of things about caving. This is our last day at camp and I’ll be really unhappy because Henry and Edwin Lo will be leaving. We’ll all miss them.

Jason Wong

Aug 13th
We woke up earlier which was 6:30. My Bravo team cleaned up the apartment a little bit before heading to HQ. When we went to HQ Alpha group was still packing for camp. For breakfast we had cold cut with bread and butter. We went packing up and final cleanup of HQ before leaving. We went to Warsaw park for camping. It took close to two hour dive. We had cold cut with bread again for lunch then we were setting up the tents. We just finished a 10 km hike. around the park.

Aug. 14th
We woke up at 7:00 o’clock. We had cold cut ham with bread for breakfast. After breakfast we were divided into teams of three for canoeining. My team struggled but we did ok. We traveled to the other side of the Indian River. We stoped at a convienience store to get stuff for lunch but we each had 2 rice crispy square and crackers. when we canoed sack we worked with another together. Then three and finally our teams doing it with one paddle.

Aug. 15th
We woke up the same time today as yesterday. We had oatmeal, boiled egg and nuttela with bread for breakfast. After breakfast we went to the caves. All the caves were small including the enterance and exit. We went into 7 caves and the shortest was cave 4. After we went to the river and walked a different way back. We had noodles, ham and peas for lunch. After lunch we did some activities that was instructed by Candace.




Jacky


Aug 13th
Today was a busy day. We first had to pack everything and load it all up. We rushed a lot of things and when we arrived we were missing some items. We then went into Pre made groups to set up tents. My group was pretty fast but I fear they chose the wrong location because it is a bit sunk in, so when it rains we all maybe soaking wet. I will be prepared but not my tentmates. Billy and myself went to restock the missing items and more so we are all set now. I am hoping to have a good night because tomorrow is coming.

Aug 14th

Today was full of canoeing. We started off with a nice small breakfast and a short safety lesson. It was  Brief so we headed off the rentals. When we got onto the boat, it was difficult to paddle at the back because that person paddles a lot and has to steer. A continuous paddle for 2 hours was tiring and made me work on my communication and teamwork. Getting the team to paddle straight was difficult overall my arms are getting stronger and preparing for lake Ontario.

Aug 15th

Today was an interesting day because we went caving or spelunking. The walls were narrowing and the ceiling was low but in the end we all went to the end. We saw a lot of spiders and lunch was good. After lunch the group played a game with the new instructor Kannis. Although I didn’t understand what it ment I did know it was a time waster. The two hong Kong student are leaving so we are celebrating their departure. We will all miss them and hope they have a nice ride home.


Matthew
Aug 13th
We arrived at camp. It’s in Peterbrough. Wasn’t really a long ride. Not much happened today. Right now I’m suffering because I’m so HUNGRY! I only had 2 small sandwhichs! But  guess I deserve it because I was playing cards instead of eating. So lesson learned. Finish eating first before doing anything!

Aug 14th
It’s so wet| We just finished the day canoeing through rain. It’s so cold too! We’re about to eat dinner. I’m pretty happy about it. So basically we learned how to canoe while connected and how to canoe by myself. Tomorrow we are going to the cave in the camp. Very excited for that!

Aug 15th
Today pretty good! We went to the caves in the camp. I thought it was kind of like a mining cave, but it wasn’t. It’s like climbing down into the cave. I was like the scout in there. Getting through small holes, getting dirty. Yeah pretty funny. We played a game resently, about your treasured things. We are about to eat now. So I guess you will hear from me later. Can’t wait to get back though! Water sports everyday! ALRIGHT!

Brian

Aug 13th
I make a tent
I go to the van
I eat break fast
I drink canadadry
I go to the forst
I drink water

Aug 14th

I carry the log
I eatahamburger
I drink water
I sit on the boat
I eat lunch
I wake up in the morning

Aug 15th
Today I went to the caves
I eat nooles
I eat a egg
I wake up in the morning
I brush my teeth
I go to the rocks
I go for a walk

Jordan
Aug 13th
This day started with us preparing to go camping. So we packed our bags and cleaned up HQ in order to head to Warsaw caves conservation area. The ride lasted around 2 hours and was rather boring and long. We arrived at our camp site at around 2:00 pm and began to eat lunch. Afterwards we set-up our tents and began to take a hike which stretched over 10 km lasting 2 hours. After our long day of travelling, I felt accomplished. We navigated across the trail and made it back to our camp site safely.

Aug 14th
Rain decided to pay a visit today. The showers were on and off throughout the day. We spent our day canoeing. across the Warsaw caves river. We were first taught on the types of strokes and were put into groups of 3, one being the front, middle and back (navigator). After a long and tiring paddle to one end, we decided to break for unch, docking our canoes and heading to the local convenience store and restaurant. Afterwards, we did some teamwork building activities by forming rafts (connecting canoes side by side). We began to get the hang of it later on. Reflecting from this experience, I burst upon my leadership and teamwork skills. This has also helped my paddling techniques

Aug 15th
Today, we were cave exploring in the widely-recognized Warsaw Caves. They were seven caves in total and each of them had a different experience. Many of them were short and very close to the surface. However, many, if not all were hard to traverse and squeeze into and between. The terrain in this landscape has made of limestone so it was rugged and slippery. But I was able to identify proper places to step. I felt this was a very adventurous experience that was really unique. In the afternoon, we played drama games. From these experiences, I wished I could do these again sometime as I enjoyed.


Henry

Aug 13th
Today was the first day in the camp. Today I did a lot of things. In the morning, I pick up the things to camp, we arrived the camp at 2:30 p about 3 hours. Then we set up the tents. After set up the tents, we went hiking about 12 km. It was not so far. Tomorrow, we will cave exploring. It would be very excited.

Aug 14th
Today was a tired day. I did a lot of things like canoeing. it was very tired. I canoeing about 5 hours. In the morning, I ate orange for my breakfast. At ten O’clock I began to walk to the river. It not so far. When we arrived the river we began to canoeing. I got all the body wet but I felt very happy and funny. I also took the firewood back to the camp it was heavy. Tomorrow I will have caving, it would be very funny.

Aug 15th
Today was my last day in Monticle, I had been here 28 days. I learnt a lot of things in this 28 days like how to kayak and learnt team work. I met a lot of friends in Monticle. I am very happy to meet the friends. I am very thank you everyone in the monticle because they teach me a lot of things. I will come back to monticle. I miss everyone in monticle when I come back to Hong Kong.

Edwin Lo

Aug 13th
Today we to camp. It was fun. When we arrive the camp side, we build the tent and the things for cook. After we do all this thing we have a hiking for one and a half half. At not that far, but it was fun. It is the third time I went to camp.

Aug 14th
Today is a canoe day. This is the first time I go to canoe. It is fun. After the breakfast, I start to canoe. At half past one I have a lunch break. I buy some things. Then, I canoe back to start point.

Aug 15th
Today is the fun day at Monticle and also is my last day is Monticle. After the breakfast, I perpra to went to climb the cave. We climb six caves and have some challge like climb up the wall, down until 6 feet long. After about two to three hours, I went back to camp side and we have two hours with our new instructir to play some game it fun. For all the day in Monticlee I learn a lot of thing like CPR, full the camp full. If I can I will come back to Monticle agina and agina because monticle is good. I miss all of my firend in monticle and instructir.



Ryan


Aug 13th
Today is our first day camping with Charlie group. We started our day with a breakfast sandwich. We then packed up our stuff to get ready for camp. After a Long drive that I barely remember because I was asleep when we arrived Calvin ordered my group to set up the tent. After we had a hike and we are now preparing for dinner.

Aug 14th
Today Was a wet and rainy day. We had to go canoeing and it was realy cold and wet. First we started our day with sandwhiches and oranges. We also had some soya milk and V8. After this we packed our stuff ad got into our groups. We then canoed until we reached the restaurant. Midway however we were motivated by food and other things. Billy pulled out of his bag. After that we went around Raymond making us do group related things.

Aug 15th
Today we went to the caves and did some interesting P.T. we started our day with a breakfast of milk ad nutella bread. After that we packed our stuff and went out to the caves. At the caves it was really dark but it was really interesting and slippery to. After that we did some interesting Pt. We had to do a lot of teamwork things like finding stuff and the elements of a land.

Jason Wang

Aug 13th
Today is the first day of the Charlie team camp at Warsaw provincial park We woke up at 7:330 am or so to pack up everything for the camp. At 8:00 am the apartment group came back to HQ to do their packing. When we got to the camp we set up the tents then got into Alpha and Bravo teams and went for a hike and now we are waiting for dinner.

Aug 14th

Today is our second day at the Warsaw caves camp with Charlie group. Today we went canoeing in 8 canoe groups, two of which were instructor canoes so technically there were 6 groups. We went canoeing in the India river after we woke up and ate breakfast (which consisted of soy milk, a ham sandwich and oranges) then had morning PT of 50 or so push ups. During the canoe session Raymond taught new skills to use on the water and we did multiple challenges to do while landing. Once again I am waiting for dinner while writing this blog which I believe will be rice and other things.

Aug 15th
Today is the last full day at Warsaw Caves park. This morning we ate nutela sandwiches, Oatmeal and other things which I cannot remember. Then we went cave diving in 7 caves which took the majority of the morning. When we got back we had lunch which consisted of noodles ad beans (and what I think is fish). After lunch we had games with the new instructor but Calvin and I had to work through the games.

Calvin

Aug 13th
Today’s was Charlie groups first camping day. Most of the things went pretty well. The only thing that went wrong was the fact that we had forgotten the garbage bags and the ropes I had not looked through our things carefully. I hope that my mistakes will soon dissappear. 

Aug 14th
Today Billy killed my iphone. I did not expect that Billy would throw me into the water. I wish that I had waterproofed my things. As a leader I should have taken the right precautions. I knew that I would be in the water today, but I did not expect to be thrown into the water. We also went canoeing today. It would have went well if Billy hadn’t thrown me into the water. Each student performed great and was better than I expected. I wonder how tomorrows spelunking will go?

Aug 15th
Today is the last day that I will be able to see Henry and Edwin Lo this year. He will be leaving in a few hours back to Hong Kong; I will miss him since he is like a little brother to me. This is the first time that I and Henry has been in the same program. It has been interesting meeting him and spending most of my summer with him. I hope he has a good flight back to HK. Today we spent our time spelunking and everyone enjoyed it very much. It was a first for me as well so I did not know what to expect. It was not scary but it is still slightly disturbing being in such small places.

Justin

Aug 13th
We didn’t do much today but I was exhausted. We didn’t do much in the morning but lean the Monticle HQ. We also took awhile packing for our 4 day camp. It took us about two to three hours to get to the camp site. First we gathered in our groups and set all the tents up. After the instructors meeting, we went on a two hour hike which wasn’t very fun at all. Hopefully, tomorrow will be a lot of fun.

Aug 14th
We spent majority of the day on the water. At first, we were punished for disturbing the campers sleep by doing fifty push ups. At the beginning of the canoe trip, we had to prepare by getting life jackets and getting the canoes. We didn’t have such an easy time on the canoes because one member didn’t padel at all. At lunch, our order took too long so we had to extend lunch which wasted a lot of time. On the canoe trip back, we had a water fight with the instructors which was a lot of fun. Unfortunately it was raining all day and our clothes got wet.

Aug 15th
This was the first time I have gone inside a cave before. It was really exciting as we went inside the first cave but it wasn’t anything I expected. Instead of going inside caves with ceilings at about two times my height. We went through right hallways and spaces which was very difficult to go through. I enjoyed the caves that we explored today even though we couldn’t go through certain areas. After having lunch, we did activities with the new instructor Candice which was a lot of fun. At the end, I had a lot of fun and would love to go caving again.






Roman

Aug 13th
Today is our first camping day. We are planning to stay for 4 days. We will go canoeing, visit a cave. We hiked for around 3h today. I hope we will have a great time.

Aug 14th
Today we went canoeing, it was a practice drill for letting us get use to staying on water for a long perieod. At the same time we learned how to canoe with only 1 person. We all had a great time. Tomorrow we will go hiking and “explore” a cave. I can’t wait!

Aug 15th
Today was an very exiting day! We went caving. Even though I have caved many times it was still very interesting. We went to 7 diffrent caves, they are each very unike. Today is our last camping day. Tomorrow we will pack up and leave. I hope back at Toronto will be as interesting as camping.

Lemuel

Aug 13th
Day 5 We are going to be camping for the next few days. Left Monticle at 11 in the morning and drove until 2 Next we had to set up camp and the tents. After we finished we went hiking for approxiamently 7 km Hope first day of camp turn out well.

Aug 14th
Day 6. It was raining today. Unfortunately we still had to go canoeing. Finally had a legit lunch, thank god. We went to some restaurant. We pretty much just went canoeing. So I got nothing much to do.

Aug 15th
Day 7. Almost been a week since we started. We went caving today. There were about 7 caves that connected together. however most of them were blocked and we were unable to pass through. By the time we finished all we could, it was lunch. After that we did some activities. We played a game where we had to use our hands and test our reflexes by tapping our hands. Then we did a treasure hunt where we hid something that represented something important. That’s it for today.


Jonathan

Aug 13th
Today, we drove all the way from HQ to Warsaw Caves, which is located in Petebrough. It was a great ride. After we arrived, we started to set up our tents & sleeping areas. After that, we hiked from the group campsite to the Limestone Plains trail. It took close to two hours. I learned that I can’t give up depending on the injury. Tomorrow, it is the canoeing.

Aug 14th
Today, in the morning, we did the push-ups to set up our canoeing trip. It was tiring. After the push-ups, we changed and started our way toward the gatehouse to pick up our lifejackets, Paddles and the water safety kit. Then we arrived at the boat launching area. We got our boats and starting Paddling toward Warsaw Village. We stopped at a family restaurant for lunch. It was delicious. After that, we paddled back to the campsite. I learned to paddle and sit in a canoe properly. Tomorrow is the caves.

Aug 15th

Today, we went to the caves and did caving. It was painful because it was really dirty. After the caves, we went to a lake and came back from the lake. We had lunch and played games with Candace. After that, we had dinner. I learned that I can use my fingers and not just foot palms. Tomorrow, We are leaving the campsite.


Edwin Cheung

Aug 14th
Today is 14, August, 2012. We went to a warsaw caves campground for camping. I woke up at 6:30 pm. We went for a caneo trid through the Indian river. We went for a 4 trip though Indian river and we have a break around the goge and gee foods and sneak for our lunch. There ranmance talk as drill about canoe aloneand handling a bout by yourself.
 Today I learn about teamwork. Temwark.

Aug 15th
Today is Augest, 15, 2012. I woke up at 7:30 ate breakfest and we ate Oatmeal, nutella sandwich. We went for Caving with my friend. Today I learn from Caving is If you have problem you find solution. Find New Method from problem and pay attention to detail.



































































































Charlie Group Day 06

We started the day with 50 push-ups. These were both punitive as well as constructive. Punitive because some of us were noisy even after lights-out time last night; constructive because we needed warm up for the day’s activities, as well as the fact that we needed to develop stronger shoulders. Why do we need to develop stronger shoulders? As future leaders, we must be prepared to pull our own weight, as well as shoulder the burden of someone else’s—by growing stronger.

And now onto the main course— canoeing, which we spent the better part of the day doing. Now, canoeing is something that is rather difficult to describe; it’s an experience that is unique to all of us, as it depends on the time and place, as well as the person. Are you the type to admire the scenery, the flora and the fauna, calling out “fish!” every time you spot one? The type fixated upon untangling your paddle from the plant life of the riverbed and trying not to capsize, or trying to stay in sync with your teammates? Or are you one to be preoccupied with paddling out to Billy as fast as you can, racing out before the others, in order to obtain the ever-elusive beef jerky prize?

We followed the Indian River, three people to a canoe, until we reached a dock at Warsaw where we stopped for lunch. Our meal took longer than originally estimated, partly due to the long wait at the restaurant (the fresh, hot food surely made up for the queue). After, we were quickly on our way, travelling upriver back to the boat launch where we’d started. There, we practiced some essential skills while paddling a canoe solo—which proved to be harder than some of us had anticipated. Our performance allowed for the instructors to see how we would fare in the Lake Ontario crossing later on in the program. As a note for the people who were either pushed or pulled into the water, the water temperature today was actually pretty warm.

After returning all of the rented equipment, we went to buy firewood. All of us helped by carrying as much as we could back to our camp site (which was quite a walk, let me tell you). Now, we are cleaning up the grit from our clothes, and shall I say, cleansing ourselves, while preparing what is sure to be a delicious dinner. Tomorrow, we are going cave diving (also known as spelunking)!






































































































Charlie Group Day 05

Today was Charlie group’s first taste of the great outdoors; and for some of them, also their first time hiking. Bravo team, after winning the K2 competition yesterday, slept at the apartment last night (and had hot water showers, might I add). They arrived at HQ at around 8:00 in the morning, while Alpha group (the former reigning K2-holding champions) finished packing their bags for our four day camping trip.

We had a quick breakfast of sandwiches and juice before going on to clean up HQ before we left. While we cleaned, we packed up and loaded all the necessary equipment onto the Sprinters. This took a few hours of hard work, then we were on our way, arriving at Warsaw Caves Conversation Area and Campground after a three-hour drive. We set up our tents after a late sandwich lunch. After getting acquainted with the area, we went on a 7 km hike. As it was getting late, we took a shortcut, finishing the hike in a neat two hours.
 
























































3 comments:

  1. Splunking...! How fun ~
    Calvin is your iphone okay? RIP iphone...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, his iPhone is ok after I sent to apple for a $45.00 repair. Haha..

      Delete