Thursday, August 23, 2012

Charlie Group Day 14


“Some assembly required.” Has anyone ever had problems with such statements? Apparently the ‘some’ was taken quite seriously by the people of Charlie group, as when we arrived at Cherry Beach in downtown Toronto, that’s exactly what we found. The kayaks were either not fully assembled or assembled incorrectly by the students. This cost us much valuable time, as we had to search for missing pieces, disassemble and reassemble certain parts, and although we arrived at noon, some of us ate lunch as late as 3:00 p.m. We could not go on the water until all of these problems were fixed because it was a safety hazard, and needed to be corrected immediately.

There were also many mistakes made today—the punctuality of the cleaning team at HQ (or lack of) led to us arriving at the beach hours later than expected, the forgetting of the stepladder made for a difficult time loading and unloading the kayaks, just to name a few. The original plan was for us to be split into two groups—Alpha and Bravo—and taking turns paddling to Centre Island. However, because of the time constraints, that was unfortunately not the case. We ended up paddling into a secluded channel and practising our capsizing drills. It was very late in the evening when both groups finished, and we had to load up the kayaks in the dark and without the use of the aforementioned forgotten stepladder. There were also some ominous sounds of thunder, but luckily, no rain.

Today’s kayaking also served as a qualification test—those who did not pass today will have another chance tomorrow to prove themselves. We will be on the water again tomorrow, definitely paddling to Centre Island, but in new groups, and possibly on different kayaks.

Matthew

Today was the most tiring day ever! We were at Cherry Beach all day Kayaking. My group started kayaking around 5, the other around 1. When I was in the water I had the most difficult boat. You could capsize very easily I capsized twice. Then I decided to change to a stable kayak, the K1. Now I got the stable part done. Now the paddling part comes in. I was so tired! I could barely move my arms. Even now they are so sore. We also had a drill about capsizing and getting back on the boat. That was easy because I already capsized twice. Later we paddled back to launch area. So in the end I never gave up but I learned that kayaking involves a lot of upper body strength to paddle by yourself.

Andy

                On day one of two preparation sessions of kayak training at Cherry Beach, we did not get down there until mid-day, when the first group should have returned. As a result, lunch came first before the Bravo team (who had won yesterday) took to the water. .
                While they were gone, Kenny stayed behind and made us wash our utensils before doing a leadership coat of arms activity that should sound pretty straightforward.
                It was past 5 PM when it was our turn. I was in the front of a two seater G3 fibreglass kayak with guest instructor Kennis behind me. She had a bit of trouble with the steering, but thanks to the power of teamwork, we used all our strength as we followed the pack around the Port lands and into the Ship Channel, where we witnessed some capsizing drill by those who will paddle across Lake Ontario in a few days.
                All I can say now, is that we used one whole day to practice (when it should only have taken the early afternoon if everything went smoothly enough). Let’s hope tomorrow would be even more exciting!
                Being my only chance to paddle a kayak in this program, I have gained what it means to struggle for my life (No, I don’t mean that I am doing so just to survive, at least physically).

Edwin Cheung

We woke up at 7:45 nd brush my teeth. Start my day. We start eating break- egg with bean sandwish. We start packing our kayaka, ccooking equipment. The headout for 2 hours. We are in the Cherry Beach. The Bravo goup head first. We stand in Shore and clean te cooing equipment wild they are gone. They head back. Jason Wong and Me was parter in K2. Overall we did No too bad Just a few bit of problem. Today, I learn sychrinzelly is most important. I past.

Roman

Kyaking was way harder than I thought I thought it was. First of all, the wind speed was 17 km per hour, so the lake was very bumpy. Seconde of all, this is my first time and I didn’t know the efficient and fast way to paddle. We paddled for around 5 km, it took us “forever.” Tomorrow we will do more kayak trainning, because crossing Lake Ontario will be at least 10 times farther than today. My partner Ryan and I kyaked on a K2 which is a 2 person kayak made by Feathe Craft. Even though we only paddled for around 2 hours, I am still very tired. After we got off the water, Billy taught us the right way to padd and I was very tired only because of my mind. I’m going to have some nice sleep tonight and save some energy tomorrow. I love kyaking!!!

Brian

I wake up in the morning
I brush my teeth
I eat breakfast
I go to the van
I go to the highway
I eat lunch
I eat nooles
I go to the boat
I do swimming
I do work
I go to the restaront

Lemuel

Day 14. Finally we can get on a kayak. We got to Cherry Beach at around 12:30. We then spent around an hour or two fixing up the kayaks so that we can effectively paddle. We had a limited amount of kayaks, so only a few of us can go at once. We started at Cherry Beach all the way to Center Island and then to the east channel and then back. The trip was tiring for me. because I was apparently not using the proper technique. Hopefully I will be better tomorrow.

Andrew

Today was a very relaxing day. Somewhat. I really enjoyed sitting at near the shores of Cherry Beach with the calm steady wind blowing across my face. My partner and I were put to the test on a kayak. Unfortunately, my partner and I failed to cross the starting area of test. Nonetheless, I was given the opportunity to take pictures of the students and instructors. Eventhough I’ve failed the kayak skill test, my photography skills have improved.

Jonathan

Today, for the whole day, we were in the water again at Cherry Beach in Toronto, but without the need of walking there. We did a kayak skills Test. My partner was Andrew. We didn’t tip our kayak over, however, we failed the skills test. I was a bit disappointed. Before we went into the water, we ate lunch and did an activity with Kenny. Today I learned how to hold a Paddle and control the rudder in the water when in the kayak. Tomorrow, we are still in the water, but way earlier in the morning.

Jason Wong

We woke up usual time and cleaned up the HQ. No one went to the apartment yesterday. We had chilli bean with bread and boiled eggs for breakfast. After breakfast, one team cleaned up HQ  the other team strap the kayaks on the trailer. I was one of the people cleaning up HQ. We went to cherry beach and get the kayaks off the trailer. We had instant noodle, and bok choi for lunch. Bravo team went kayaking first and we (Alpha) cleaned the dishes. We went kayaking and capsized for practise. After we packed up go to HQ, drop off the trailer and go out for dinner. P.S. mom I found my lost toothbrush.

Jordan

Today, we tasted what it would be like for the upcoming kayak challenge across Lake Ontario. In the morning we had to prepare and pack the equipment needed for our excursion. There was so much to pack that we ended up leaving as late as 11:00 a.m. we had to load 8 kayaks onto a trailer, pack ife saving equipment along with water sport clothing. When we arrived at Cherry Beach, we had taken longer to get on the water than we thought. Many minor adjustments on the kayaks had to be made in order to ensure the safety. Half of our group went on the water at a time. lasting 2 hours. The group that I was in went 2nd. I had the privilege f paddling on the Q3, a fibre glass kayak. We paddled across the Eastern Channel in Lakeshore. I experienced balancing issues and capsized a few times. We practiced our capsizing rescuing in a dock area. At the end of the day, everyone was tired as we left the beach at 9 pm. From this day, I adapted paddling on a high-speed kayak in preparation for the ultimate challenge.

Jason Wang

Today was our first day kayaking wit Charlie group. Today was a training day for Charlie group to see who is fit gor going across lake Ontario. We originally were going to get to cherry beach, set up the group’s day gear then launch Bravo group and have them kayak out. This plan didn’t work out so well as the kayaks were not set up to standard and we wasted hours fixing them up. We finally got both groups to go and come back at around 8:30 pm which was much longer than expected. Right now we are waiting for food to eat for dinner. I can’t wait till tomorrow.

William

We paddled to Centre Island from Cherry beach today. At 7:45 in the morning, we finished our breakfast f bread and hard-boiled eggs. After that, we cleaned the HQ from top to bottom with mops, brooms and towels. By the time we were finished cleaning, everything was shining. We helped the instructors lead the kayaks onto a trolley and we locked it to a sprinter. Once everybody had their wetsuits, towels and change of clothes in their daypacks, we were ready to go. When we got to Cherry Beach, we changed into our wetsuits and pushed the kayaks into the water. While we glided across the water, it gave me an indescribable happy feeling, like I was gliding across the sky. I felt really happy to be on a kayak. I always remember that moment, when we got back to the shore, Billy taught us a few techniques and skills on kayaking. Tomorrow, we’ll be doing the same thing but I think we’re going to paddle longer.

Justin

We finally got to kayak today and t was harder than I expected In the morning, we spent awhile preparing and it took a lot of work to get the kayaks on the trailer. After arriving at Cherry beach, Bravo team got to go first but it took a long time to fix the kayaks up. I didn’t realize how hard it was to paddle but it was because I only used my shoulders. During our kayak session, we went through a capsize drill which was pretty fun. Lemuel capsized unintentionally which was pretty funny. Too bad I didn’t pas today because I was too slow so next time, I’m going to stop being lazy. It was pretty great that we finally got to go on the kayaks.

Jacky

Today was a very tiring day. We started off busy trying to get everything ready. We tied all the kayaks down and packed all the cook ware for lunch. I was in the first group paddling. We took about 2 hours to paddle and in between we practiced capesizing. I took some time because I dislike being submerged in water. I completed the task and learned it’s not so bad. I addled very well today because I caught up with billy. I feel very proud to have completed this task. I hope tomorrow will be as good.

Ryan

Today we went kayaking all day and it got me really tired. At the start however Billy told us that he was going to test on our ability. Although I didn’t pass I didn’t quite fail so I am relieved that I can continue though. During the kayaking it was really exhausting but I now know how to do it correctly, hopefully.

Jennifer

I have survived today with only minor injuries. I passed the qualification test. I was on a K2, which I honestly strongly dislike. I’m more comfortable in the single, in which I am in full control of what I’m doing and where I’m going. I ended up having to paddle the double by myself at some times when my partner would take arbitrary breaks. It was not hard, and rather enjoyable because of the realization that it wasn’t as heavy as everyone else made it seem and I could move it all by myself with a resting partner who was heavier than me. The rocks along the bottom of the lake are a lot sharper than I thought, though. I was helping to bring some of the kayaks in, while swimming in a part of the lake that abruptly became very shallow. I received a few scratches along my hand that were apparently very minor, although there was a lot more blood than I expected. I’ll be on the water again tomorrow, so I’m very happy about that!










































































2 comments:

  1. Edwin Cheung
    Happy to see your writing in the blog. I am sure you can write more with imprioved spelling next time. Thank you Billy for the great co-ordiantion to putting together the programme. I know it is a lot of hard work at the back.
    Good luck !
    Mom

    ReplyDelete