Sunday, August 19, 2012

Charlie Group Day 11


This morning, there was a bit of miscommunication concerning our wake-up times. Luckily, everything was sorted out and it all worked out in the end. But on the same note, to clear up any sort of miscommunication henceforth, today we had the safety section of our firearms training, and some of the students jokingly refer to the firearms as “toys,” or “musical instruments” (because the cases they are stored in are reminiscent of xylophone, or saxophone cases). Some take it a step farther with analogies and extended metaphors. So please bear that in mind so as to avoid any unnecessary confusion regarding this matter.

We needed to be tested on the safety material regarding firearms—both written and practical—because we will be heading down to a shooting range tomorrow, and this information will be integral for everyone’s safety and enjoyment. Those who do not pass both of the tests would not be able to use the firearms at the range. We first went over the materials, with a focus on repeating the two acronyms, which will be explained shortly, as a group in a bid to memorize them more efficiently. After sufficient review, we got the chance to get some hands-on training with various firearms owned by Billy. We learned the proper procedure at the firing range, with the loading as well as unloading, and the meanings of the red and green flags, which is essential for or safety. We then took a break to eat our lunch of ham sandwiches while watching a movie called “Shooter” which was very fitting considering our firearms training. We had some more review after the movie, then we went into the exams.

For the written section of the exams, we had to memorize two acronyms that encompass the basics and the most important parts of gun safety—ACTS and PROVE. ACTS stands for: Assume every firearm is loaded, Control the muzzle direction at all times, Trigger finger must be kept off of the trigger and out of the trigger guard, See that the firearm is unloaded, PROVE that it is safe; which leads into PROVE: Point the firearm in the safest available direction, Remove all ammunition, Observe the chamber, Verify the feeding path, Examine the bore for obstructions. It was all very technical with the terms, but the gist of it was to prevent accidental misfires that could be potentially fatal by checking for items clogging the barrel, or pointing the firearm in a “safe direction” so as to avoid accidents. The practical exam was basically an application of the ACTS and PROVE, our knowledge, and a bit of physical skill. We had to check a pistol as well as a rifle using the ACTS and PROVE acronyms, then reload them with the dummy rounds safely.


Brian

I wake up in the morning
I brush my teeth
I eat hot dog
I eat bread
I do my work
I eat ham
I watch a move
I watch shooting
I eat lunch
I drink orange Juice
I drink water

Jacky

Today was a dry day. We spent all day doing a lesson about firearms. Although firing is fun the safety classes is boring, but necessary, I learned a lot and am now able to fire a firearm. We watched the movie Shooter. The movie was entertaining and very exciting. We spent most of our days learning about firearms and safety. I hope we have a lot of fun at the range tomorrow.

Andrew

Today was very exciting. I got to learn about firearms, and how to handle them. The firearms that Billy showed us were quite excilerating! Of cource, we had to be evaluated on handling the firearms before the other students and I are able to shoot at the range tomorrow. Anyway, I hope that I passed the test so that I am able to participate in tomorrow’s shooting.

Jason Wong

We woke up at 7:30 this morning. We had 5 minutes to get our stuff and leave the apartment because Billy thought we get ready to leave for 7:30. We went to HQ and see the Alpha team just got up recently so we had to help them clean up HQ. For breakfast I had a bbq pork bun and some other chinese bun. After breakfast we learned to play a new musical instrument for most of the day. We watched Shooter a movie while we were eating bread with ham for lunch.

Justin

I learned a lot about firearms today making sure that I was prepared for the shooting range. We spent the morning learning about ACTS and PROVE which were safety regulations when you’re shooting at a range. It it was very easy to remember so I was sure I was going to pass. After the ACTS and PROVE lessons, we watched Thee Shooter while we ate lunch. We also went though many drills and it was very exciting. We went through two tests after reviewing which were pretty simple and I’m sure I passed. I’m very excited for what we’ll do tomorrow.

Matthew

Today was gun drill day. Learning the safety regulations and basics of them. I passed my physical gun test. Now I need to wait for my written result. Basically today was all about guns. One thing I didn’t know about silenced guns is that you need subsonic rounds in order to shoot them. I hope I pass because the people who pass go to the shotting range tomorrow. SO EXCITED!

Jonathan

Today, for the whole day, we had a presentation all about firearms to prepare us for our exam. It was a lot of stuff to learn. Some of the stuff was from the PDF file. After the presentation, we watched a movie called “The Shooter” and ate our lunch at the same time. After the movie, we had a final review of that presentation about firearms. After the presentation, we had our exam. I learned how to operate and hold a firearm. Tomorrow, we are off to the shooting range.

Edwin Cheung

Today, I woke up at 7:00. We did a quick clean up on the HQ. We then had a Good Buns for breakfest. We then have a Firearm safty and test for tomrrow going to fire range. It is really fun. And we have  movie call “the Shooting and Tomb Raider. I feel really good I past my test.

Roman

Don’t you just love Sundays? Well… I do, because today we learnt about fire arm safety. Tomorrow we will go to the shooting range and shoot the weapons, but I will have to pass the “tests” first. I really want to go, because there are a few reasons why I came to Monticle: firearms, Leadership, and the ultimate challenge. I think this is a really good opportunity for my team mates and me becauses we are all boy and all boy are born with an urge to play around with dangerous, such as firearms!

Lemuel

Day 11. Today all of us did firearm training. We had to learn the rules and regulations when handling firearms. We also learned how to operate pistols, rifles, and sniper rifles. After lunch we watched a movie called “Shooting”. It was about an veteran scout recon sniper that was framed for the shooting of a African diplomat. After that we had to be tested so that we can go to the shooting range tommorrow. Fortunately, I passed.

Andy

                On day one of three of firearm training in preparation for our excursion to the shooting range tomorrow, we had to identify the acronyms ACTS and PROEV. This was followed by hands-on experiences with actual, prestigious firearms owned by Billy (but are obviously not for sale) whose identities must not be disclosed in a public blog like this. It was tough to handle, and yes, I did get just a bit nervous when I was holding it.
                Having been entertained thoroughly by viewing the action film, The Shooter, it was time to redeem ourselves with a test on those acronyms, I struggled a bit but I got it done with minimal error. Now I have done the practical test, but whether I will be heading over for the challenge tomorrow has yet to be determined.
                I hope I pass and get to undertake this lifetime experience. Shooting on a range sounds dangerous, but I will be prepared to take this risk Those that risk it often get away with it. I hope I do, too. Certainly, I mustn’t take everything too literally.

Jason Wang

Today was a fairly fun day. We had many safety lectures on Billy’s toys which he brought in this morning. The HQ team woke up at 8:00 am and packed our gear just in time for the lecture for using the musical instruments. Later on we got fresh buns for breakfast. We then had physical training for the toys. After that we watched a movie called “Shooter” which is based on a book which I have already read before. After the movie we had the firearm tests which I passed in under a minute.

Jordan

We had a special opportunity today. Billy brought in his firearms and lectured us on the safety and handling of them. The acronyms that covered this was ACTS and PROVE. We had to memorise these rules and we would be tested. We were also taught how to load a gun and disarm them. In the middle of the lesson, we watched a movie named “Shooter”. This was appropriate for our class as it taught the dangers of firearms in a story. After briefing the material, we were tested on it. There was a mental test and a physical one. If you passed them, you would be eligible to go to the shooting range tomorrow. Luckily, I passed and I look forward test my skills. I felt this was a valuable experience and I enjoyed learning this knowledge as it may be important in the future.

Ryan

Today Billy taught us how to play a new musical that makes the most sweetest of music. This instrument however was clearly not safe sp we had to do a safety course n it. The safety course was to merly memorize to acronyms After a lunch of ham sandwhichts and a movie called shooter we started our exam. During this exam my instrument got stuck and I had to pull the valve out. Luckily Billy passed me and will let me go to the recital.

William

Today, we got to use Billy’s firearms. In the morning, we had to memorize a bunch of rules called ACTS and PROVE. These were acronyms for various rules relating to gun safety. Billy went with us through various slides and we learned things that would really important. Later, we had a test to see if we knew gun safety. Tomorrow, we will go to a shooting range to shoot the Billy’s guns.

Calvin

It was one of the driest classes that a person could be in today. We needed to do the firearms safety training lectures. Although it is ne of the most important classes, the sheer amount of information put onto you is just so boring. Most of the day was spent on this, including lunch time. During the afternoon we spent our time watching shooter, which was a better movie than I thought. I passed ll my tests and am luckily going to the Range tomorrow. Tomorrow is going to be the most exciting day of the program for me as I can’t paddle across lake Ontario.

Jennifer

As I am typing up everyone’s blogs, a certain word keeps popping up—“luckily”—and it’s all regarding the tests; things like “luckily I passed.” It makes me disconcerted and somewhat put out. I was one of the slowest at the practical examinations, but in my defense, I have never seen or touched a firearm before, and I am not very well-versed in the terminology related to these things (“bang!” and “pew-pew” being the extent of my knowledge, thank you very much, media), so I feel very relieved that I passed the tests, not lucky. Luck had no part in this success—only my own skill. As the sole girl here, aside from Kannis, I feel obligated to prove my worth, especially in this marksmanship training. The written exam was very straightforward for me, and the practical came easily enough, except for that one latch on the pistols which my fingers can never seem to reach. I am, however, very quick at reloading. ;D

I am also a bit disconcerted because when these boys say “luck,” they don’t acknowledge their own skill. And so, if they’re relying on this ‘luck’ tomorrow and they’re out of luck, then what happens? Will they remember what they learned? Will they still be able to apply it in an actual situation and not just for the sake of passing a test?

Tomorrow, we will all be split into Alpha and Bravo groups, including us seniors, and we will have a marksmanship competition. The winning team will get a fancy dinner much like last night’s, and the losing team will apparently get more sandwiches. So, I think it’s fair to say that I will definitely have to win this!

AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD~ <3 span="span">
























1 comment:

  1. Edwin Cheung
    Congratulations to your passing the Safety test. Pl continue the good work. The new challenge is financial planning and proper use of your pocket money ?
    Mom

    ReplyDelete