Friday, August 10, 2012

Charlie Group Day 02

So today marks the beginning of the physical training portion of this Me3 program. The students were given a K2 kayak (two seater) and each team of 6 was required to hold this kayak for at least 15 minutes. Unfortunately, neither group completed the challenge. The students will be doing this every morning until they are able to keep this kayak up for 15 minutes, because strong shoulders and arms are crucial in kayaking, especially over extremely long distances. Another challenge Billy set for them was to wear the helmets and lifejackets for the entire day, so that they could familiarize themselves with the equipment, and become comfortable wearing it.
The students settled in for movie after the PT, called Secretariat. They then had a lunch of instant noodles and ham. The next portion of the day consisted of the social intelligence class, taught by Kenny and Tammy.
Finally, after the lesson, we had an interesting dinner where none of us were allowed to speak, to practice our strength of mind and attention to detail. If the student did speak, Raymond would take away an eating utensil, sometimes leaving students to use a spoon to eat spaghetti. Anyways, that concludes our day! Good night, and we’ll upload tomorrow!

William

In the morning, we had physical training. I don’t think any of us expected this, but we had to carry a K2 for 15 minutes. There was alpha group, and the Bravo group which I was in. our strategy had some problems so we lost two times, the third time was better but in the end, we still lost so we had to wash the dishes. By the way, throughout the day we need to wear our kayaking equipment. After lunch, we talked about social intelligence, which was about five main topics: VAK, Time Management, Paying attention to detail, Position and Impressions. If we did these things well, it would help us to be a good leader. I’m excited for tomorrow.

Edwin Lo

Today is a boring day and P.T. day. After the breakfast, we take a water savelty movie for going to crass lake ontarin with kayak. It was boring, but it was save our life. A then, we went to tuning area and we start do pt. first we define to two team, so Billy ask who is the most power people, but not people said he is the most power. So we need to test and I me the weakest in this team because of this reason I can’t do the training like them, but I do different. After, of three team of race, me brother (Henry) team is win, so they can sleep on the bed. The lose team need to sleep on the floor. Before the lunch we watch a movie again. It was funny. After the lunch, we have a lesson for three. After the lesson, we have a present, it was a revver. Then we have a test and have half of the people need to redo.

Jason Wong

This morning we woke up at 7:00. We cleaned up the HQ a little bit. After cleaning up we had bread with ham and butter for breakfast. After breakfast we watched a kayak video that talks about how to paddle. After we did PT which was that 2 teams sit down and have to hold the kayak. Me team lost so after lunch we had to clean the dishes and clean the tables. For lunch we had instant noodle with ham. After cleaning up the stuff we had a social intelligence class. This time for review we had to present and talk about one of the five topics. P.S. I have been wearing the helmet and lifejacket all day.

Roman

Today was great! We did PT, watched the kayak video, and social intelligence. For PT I discovered the true “power” of teamwork and cheering others on. Kenny asked our group to clean up after lunch and he assigned me as the leader. Being the leader felt great but I was also being a bit confused. (with great power comes great responsibility) we are doing all this to prepare for our final task: cross lake Ontario.

Jordan

We began our day watching an educational video about kayaking. This covered the general rules and safety, along with the types of strokes and kayaks. After this lecture became the real test, the physical test. This composed of stretching, weignirening trials and splitting into 3 groups to carry a K-2 kayak above our heads while sitting. This last rigorous activity was harsh. After many times trying to hole the kayak above our heads, we comprised many strategies, our most successful strategy was sitting down back to back, balancing our me strength in order to life me kayak for an austanding 8.5 minutes. We will continue to practise this exercise in order to train is in me afternoon. In the afternoon, we were given a lecture by Tammy and Kenny about social intelligence in Leadership. This taught us about impressions, visual, auditory and kinaesthetic senses., time management, positions and attention to details. I felt this really built upon my physical and knowledgeable self. These activities will help me in becoming a leader, working on my presentations skills and physical capabilities.

Edwin Cheung

I woke up early for the walk with Edwin Low. I pack the towels and leave it in the apartment and hope Lemel will get the bag of towels, but I didn’t tell him. Today, I learn that “if I got to be a leader I have to speak up”

Andy

                With a good night’s sleep behind me, after breakfast this morning we were forced to put on helmets and life jackets and for physical Training we tried to hold up a kayak for as long as we could. Thank goodness we won, because the losing team was forced to wash our utensils and stay here at HQ to sleep as we got to use the nice, comfy, apartment!
                Something embarrassing that happened was when after the lecture on social intelligence Kenny had is prepare presentations on individual topics. Unfortunately, my group hadn’t prepared, and so we slumped, but Kenny said he will give us more training in “effective speaking” later on. It was an educational movie night by the way.

Andrew

Today was a pretty intense day. My team and I had to life an 86 pound kayak. We managed to life it for tem minutes but unfortunately lost to the other team. The team that won gets to sleep in the apartment with matresses while my team has to sleep at hq on the hard floor. Anyways, I did learn how to become a more organized person by learning how to manage my time and learn how to give off a proper first impression. Today, I learned that teamwork is very crucial to success and being able to pay attention to detail will make you a more caring, cautious individual.

Jonathan

Today, we were handed out our helmets and lifejackets. We then were given the challenge to hold up a kayak for 15 minutes. We held the kayak up for eight minutes. It was very tiring and even tougher to keep the life jackets and helmets on. Then we had a lecture about social intelligence. It was a very long presentation. After that, we ate dinner and watched a movie. I learned that organizing your time is a good thing to do. Tomorrow, we are doing something that I don’t know about.

Lemuel

Sleeping was harder than I thought. I expected it to be more uncomfortable compared to a mattress, but it was more difficult to sleep because someone was snoring the whole time. Today was meant to be a physical day. So we were separated into 2 teams each team had to carry a two person kayak. Both the teams had to carry the kayak longer than the other team. Since my team won, we got to sleep in Billy\s apartment (So Hooray us). Rest of the afternoon was spent on a lesson about social intellegince. We basically learned how to bettween communicate with others, bu leaving better first impressions, as well as how to separate people and communicating the different so that we don’t offend them. Today was a lot like a school day, so I fell asleep.

Justin

I guess you can say today was a very educational day. We spent a huge portion of today’s time was spent listening to presentations. We have learned about something called “social intelligence” which is basically knowing how to interact with others. However, we didn’t spend the whole day listening to presentation. The most difficult thing we have done so far was trying to endure the weight of a K2 with a team of six. It was very difficult but I think we did pretty well. I expected that we would have done more activities for the physical testing but overall, it was a pretty good day.

Matthew

Today was pretty painful and tiring. Painful because you have to lift up one of the K2 kayak (two seated). But of course you have six people to help you. Billy says it’s like a Navy Seal training but what they carry is probably bigger and heavier. Our group won and we get to sleep in the apartment. We get folding beds which is a good thing. Then we had a 3 hour long lecture with Tammy and Kenny. We talked about first impressions, visual, auditory, kinaesthetic, position, attention to detail, and time management. We played some games about power and attention. So mostly the day was about draining you our to see if you can survive after a lecture and do a test

Henry

Today I learnt a lot of things and I did a lot of PT. I felt very tired I also watched a movie about kayak. I learnt social intelligence. It was very interesting and long. I also played a lot of games. After that, we had the dinner and watched the movie, it was very exciting. I will have a good sleep because I am very tired.

Brian

I wake up in the morning
I eat noodles
I do work
I laid up the boat
I wash my hands with soap
I eat a carrot











































3 comments:

  1. Woah! Carrying a kayak is really hard. And i hope u guys get use to the life jackets and helmets! :) If i got my utensil taken away, then i'll have 2 use my hands! unfortunately my utensil is a SPORK!! :D XD HAHA!Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish i were here!!!! Miss you all!!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete