Thursday, August 9, 2012

Charlie Group Day 01

Welcome to the Charlie group! Today, the new students arrived and started their 19 day Me3 Program here at the HQ. We started the day with an introduction of what the program consisted of and the Monticle code of conduct. Kenny started on some icebreaker activities, which involved some interesting poses, actions, and strangely enough, a human pyramid…...

After a short break for lunch, (which consisted of hotdogs and a lot of ketchup) the students were tested on what they had just learned, and then we moved on to the kayaks. We disassembled and reassembled both the K1s and the K2s, with the senior students leading the activity. That took most of the afternoon, so we decided to end the classes early today to eat dinner, and as a special treat, the students have a movie to watch tonight!

The students goal today was to learn as much about leadership and teamwork as possible, to prepare for their upcoming challenge, kayaking across lake Ontario! They’re all excited for it, and we hope that they prepare well, and complete their challenge.

P.S. Goodbye to Ryan and Cedric, who left for Canada today! You were great students, and we all miss you!


William

Today was a very busy day. In the morning, Kenny gave us an introduction to how Monticle would work. Then, Raymond came in and talked to us about Monticle 101, which was basically the rules we had to follow. We did many activities including a game called mirror. We were paired and then one person would have to mirror the other person’s actions. One group made a human pyramid which was hard to copy. After that, we had to break apart a human knot where we had both our hands together and had to try to make a circle. In the end we still failed which was kind of disappointing. We had lunch, which was hot dogs. I was pretty hungry so I ate six. After lunch, we were taught how to assemble a kayak and how to take it apart. We were taught how to work with k-1 and k-2 and k-1 could carry one person, whereas k-2 could hold 2 people. We were able to get some hands- on experience with the kayak and I think we all enjoyed it. Dinner came after something important happened that Kenny told us about. Somebody didn’t flush after using the toilet. I don’t think anybody will do it again. Then we had spaghetti, which I am not a really big fan of. Overall, that was what happened today. Tomorrow is the day we are supposed to have a physical test. So, I hope tomorrow will be exciting too!

Lemuel

Not much happened today. First was the Monticle 101, where we learned all the rules here. We played mirrors often. We were paired up and then one person had to mirror the other person’s actions. Lunch was decent. We had hot dogs (there werer better than the ones at home). After that, we learned how to assemble/disasemble a kayak. It’s a lot more difficicult when we had to do it, because we were terrible at it. We had dinner next, actually no, we had to go to the washroom to look at someone who didn’t flush tafter using the toilet. (it wasn’t me!). then we had dinner, which was spaghetti (the homemade ones were better). That pretty much sums today. Tomorrow is supposed to be harder. So yay!

Jordan

We began our program listening to lectures. These lectures were lengthy and boring but important. They covered what this program consisted of and the general rules and guidelines from the code of conduct. It emphasized what was to be expected from us. These were done by Kenny and Raymond. After all of this knowledge, we were assessed by putting what we learned to a test, which was rather simple. Afterwards, we did a mirror activity, organized by Kenny. We were split into 2 groups, 1 group was to pose or do continuous actions while the other group mimicked them. Some of these got complicated and were hard to copy. In the afternoon, we divided ourselves into groups to assemble 2 kayaks, k-1 and k-2, carrying 1 and 2 people respectively. These 2 activities helped our teamwork skills along with cooperation to prepare us to kayak across lake Ontario. At the end of the day, we learned to respect the facilities that we use in order to respect others. This will develop strong relationships consisting of communication and leadership which will apply well towards the future.

Matthew

We started our day with Kenny’s lecture on life philosophy, then Raymond talked to us about standards of Monticle, mostly about respecting your surroundings. Then our boredom ended and we played games with Kenny. Mostly it was the mirrior game, where you copy the actions of your partner. I think the lesson of this game is too understand that you must pay attention to your instructor so you can do it right. In this case the instructor is the person your copying. Then we learned how to assemble and sisassemble a kayak. Alisster said our group was the fasted he ever taught. My group is me, Justin and Brian, but this was mostly indoors, pretty boring. Tomorrow is our physical test. I heard we have to run 7 laps, but I don’t know the distance. Well it is a challenge.

Andrew

Today was pretty eye-opening. I leaned quite a bit about being a leader. In order to learn about the topic of leadership, we played an abundance of games. Some of these games consisted of mirroring what our partner does. I also take down a kayak and rebuit it with my teammates. As I began to build the kayak, I realized that the kayak metaphorically represents team work. I will take what I have learned today and expand on what I already learned for my entire life.

Justin

Today was a very busy day. At first, we listened to instructor Kenny and Raymond’s presentation which was a bit dry. The games we played afterwards were very entertaining as everyone was trying to follow their partners, making themselves look a bit foolish. I didn’t expect the activities we have done today but at the end, I guess they were kind of educational, taking apart the kayak’s and putting them back together was a bit annoying. At the end of the day, I was very fatigued and I just wanted to take a rest.

Henry

Today was Charli group’s first days and I already been a leadership. I felt very happy although it was a dry day. I also had the haircut, it was very nice. I will watch a movie tonight, it will be very interesting. Tomorrow I will have a morning PT but I won’t do it because I already gone to Niagara falls

Andy

I’m back! This is my first full Monticle program since last year’s Me3. New faces, new looks, new activities. Following the lectures on rules and safety, we intook some new, utile, communication skills with icebreaking games. After lunch our time was devoted to the disassembly and reassembly of K1 and K2 kayaks. That evening we watched a movie after dinner and went to bed. This nineteen- day program has already brought many challenges as I prepare to survive my first extended period of time away from my family. In the meantime, I think it should be time to begin putting these new-found skills into everyday life.

Brian

I eat lunch
I help make the sailboat
I eat paste
I wash me hands with soap
I drink water
I like to play area
I like the games
I like the food
I like father to bring me here.

Edwin Lo

Today I walk to HQ and I walk one hour. After I went back to HQ, I have a lesson for Monticle 101 again, I also take that test, but it was easy. After the test, I play some games like marror games, remember new people names. Then, we take the lunch and we start to build the kayak K1 and K2 we take place of the kayak and build It agina. It was take us for one and a half hour it was the faster. I did. After we eat the dinner, I watch a movie

Roman

I have done have done a lot of things to today, how every I am enjoying it so far (other than the food)… we did a lot of “special” activities! We built 2 different kinds of kayak together, we played games and we did 101 with Ramen! I have already made friends with the senior leaders, they shared a lot of their experiences with me, such as it’s always a good idea to take the shower first, because their isn’t always enough hot water for everyone. Have a good time without me!

Jason Wong

When I seen all the Charlie group, I noticed something it is that they are all boys. Well it wasn’t surprising to me that it was al boys. The first thing we did was Monticle one on one, after they did a test on it, we played some Mirror games but we were separated into 2 teams. We had to come up with stuff for the partner to copy. After playing the mirror game we had hotdog for lunch. After lunch we learned to dissembled the K1 and had to rebuild it, same thing for the K2. For dinner we had sphagetti.

Jonathan

Today, on the first day of the Charlie Program, we had that same presentation on the introduction of Monticle, the code of conduct and the policies. After the presentation, we played games about sopying people. We then had a lecture about kayaks. We had to disassemble and assemble two kayaks. It was tiring. Also, we had new and familiar faces to the program. It was great to see the people. Tomorrow, it is more PTs in the morning. P.S. I learned how to help and cooprate with other people.

Edwin Cheung

Today, is Augest, 3, 2012. The day that after I finish my Niagara fall walk and the new group was coming. Everything is working well. Today, I learn a lot I learn that to respect everything around you to that respect yourself

Jacky

First day for Charlie group. Meeting new people is fun but getting to know their names is hard. This will be the boring day because it was administration day, so everything is paperwork. I did help Billy and got a haircut. I believe I gave out a good impression of myself. Showing that I am a humerous person I make people laugh. I enjoy new friends and hope the other days will be as fun






















































5 comments:

  1. Looks like fun! I also wish u guys luck on kayaking across lake ontario! and also welcome the new students :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edwin Cheung
    How's thing going ? Hope to hear from you soon.
    Please stay well and enjoy your responsibility as a senior Member of Monticle !
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Edwin Lo, another walk today? Wow! you are great! After the Niagara walk, one hour walk is a piece of cake, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete