Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Me3 Foundations – Alpha Group Day 11



Tuesday, July 09, 2013
Day 11
Everybody got up the usual time for morning PT. Rather than having Pompey to lead us, this time we had Edwin Chan (our master storeman) lead us. We stretched then walked all the way to LCBO again and back. During this walk, it is important to stress the importance of following orders in order to be safe, especially when near the road. After the short walk, (because a lot of us were interested in more water activities) Billy gave us 3 choices: one – go kayaking with Allan; two – go do man overboard drills with Billy on the Zodiac; and three – stay behind in the camp and learn to clean, disassemble, and pack the kayaks K1 and K2. We had breakfast, which consisted of oatmeal, eggs, and bacon, before heading out. Many had fun; many felt like they suffered under the blazing sun. By noon, all activities are done; we all washed, cleaned and packed the kayaks, tents, and equipments before lunch, which was spaghetti with a choice of tomato sauce or cream of mushroom. We continued to clean up after lunch. It is nearing the end of the 14 day camp, we need everything to be packed up and ready to be taken back to Monticle HQ. When we were done, we had a game of ‘Doctor Dodgeball – water balloon style’ Junior Leadership and Instructors versus Senior Leadership and students. Everyone had fun throwing water balloons. Dinner was rice, chicken and onions. It was delicious. We ended the day with a final campfire of drama and facial expressions. These campfire dramas for the past three days taught us the importance of showmanship and to be recognized, the importance of being able to read and recognize people, and finally the importance of awareness and observation in our surroundings and people. Tomorrow will be a very fun and busy day!

Edwin Cheung
Today, I work allright. I still have a problem remembers little stuff. This can square me up big time when I grow up. We work on a lot of differene stuff througreout the day, disassible K2 and K1, clean up tent, taking away Fiberglasskayaka and a lot more. I bring my wet suit. I also did man overboard drill yesterday. Tomrrow I will stay in Muskey Land to help out for pack upfor the rest of big clear for 14 day. We also have a big water fig.

Sabrina Tan
SHOPPING TOMORROW!! My excitement is utterly uncontainable. Today was a day of cleaning. We also played a tedious game of water balloon dodgeball. By that I mean filling the balloon w/ water took longer than the actual game. Not to mention we had to clean up after. WOOO!

Kelvin Pan
Today was a BlAZing Day and a fun day too a water balloon fight
We also did the student Evaulation Report, made sure I put a lot of detail into it and Hard work. J

Kevin
Today was considered the worst day in this camp so far. I stayed under the sun for 3-4 hours unsemmbling a few kayaks. I regret not going to kayaking or man-overboard. The only great thing about today was the water balloon fight, even though it took us half an hour to build the water balloons, the fight only lasted for 3 minutes, all the water balloons ran out.

Bridget
Tiring yet fun day has passed. Some people went kayaking, some people went for the ‘man overboard’ drill, and some people helped dismantle the kayaks, K1 and K2. It was a very hot and sunny day, so everyone who helped dismantle the kayaks were sweating a lot. We had to dismantle all the K1’s and K2’s. After that, we had to clean everything that was around the campus, such aas the blue tent, the fiber glass kayaks and the kayak padals. After all the hard work, we all had a water balloon fight!!! :D It was people wearing black and yellow versus people wearing white and orange. I would say it was also a good day. But other than that, I think that Billy’s cooking is really good and delicious. No words can describe. :) ;) *Billy’s cooking is the best*

Nicola
Today at Monticle some of us went kayaking, some did man overboard drills, and some disassembled kayaks. Because of this experience, I now know all the parts of a kayak and can easily disassemble them. The water balloon fight today was INTENSE. We were soaked.. A few more days until our Monticle days end. L how sad… I’m gonna miss Billy’s cooking sooo much. His steak is amazing! In addition, the cup noodle he bought taste soo good. Thanks to the cup noodle, we can follow our schedule even if were really late. Time management is very important. And besides, the cup noodle Billy bought doesn’t have that much artificial flavouring. Tomorrow’s WONDERLAND. I cannot wait to ride on canada’s tallest roller coster. It’s time to face our biggest fear. To because a better leader, by showing examples. WE CAN DO IT GUYS!

Meagan
Today is choice day 1! The 3 choices are = 1 stay at = Muskey landing” 2. do manoverboard 3. Go kayaking.
I chose to stay at “muskey’s landing” to disable the kayaks. After, we disabled the kayaks, we had lunch, then we pack every equitment for the water that cars and had a WATER BALLON FIGHT!!!!!! It was orange + white against black + yellow!!!!!!!!!! Then we had free time that means write blog and dinner, then campfire.

Samson Lee
Today, I went kayaking for two hours on the laje in Georgian Bay. I paddled really hard that I have used with strong muscles. Then I passed on the Ontario Highway 400 bridge to the Port Severn bridge. After that, I kayaked to the military house and topped for a rest. Next, I kayaked back to the Muskey’s Landing cottage resort. This afternoon, everyone packed up all of their summer camp stuffs because it will be almost the end of the 14 fay Monticle overnight summer camp. Next, I played a water ball game with two groups were alpaha versus bravo and Charlie vs Delta. During the water ball game, I got my back t-shirt wet and soaked. I had a tremendous great day!!!!!!!!

Ingrid Zhou
Today we clean up the equipments. Tomorrow we will go the Canada Wonderland, I don’t like it at all. So tomorrow will be a tiring day. But today is a good day I cross the flashy stream again. And I cross it by myself. The days before today I only can use the double man boat. So today I feel happy.

Jennifer Wang
Mosquito bites are the worst. I’m cry. Just during cutting onions, I was bitten at least ten times. Pretty dangerous, considering the fact that I was using kitchen knives. Speaking of kitchen knives, I must ask all of you to be considerate. OUR SAFETY DEPEND SON BILLY AND THEREFORE, BILLY NEEDS HIS SLEEP. PLEASE DON’T CALL HIM AT UNGODLY HOURS OF THE NIGHT. Thank you. Also, Billy is a great chef and I’m, vouching for his cooking skills. I’ve had it for about five winters and summers now and I can say it’s great, so worry not! Today was better for me today though the rest of the leaderships made fun of me for not being able to tie a knot to hold the kayak in place. I know now, though, so at least I learned. I’, staying behind to look after the cabin tomorrow, so I’ll take the opportunity to rest up and prepare for the challenge of the TransCanada!

Julian Ma
Today in the morning for PT, we walked 1km, then we had a crappy breakfast, oatmeal and bacon, actually the bacon was good, just because the oatmeal tastes like sugar, so sweet, after, I voted for kayaking so I went kayaking, and I was grouped up with Samson, it was so annoying, I used all my power to turn and he was just paddling randomly, I was so frustrated. Afternoon we spent time cleaning supplies, but then we had a fun waterballoon fight which was the best part of the day, then Calvin said we are having barbeque for dinner.

Mireille
Today was a beautiful day the sky is blue. During PT we walk during about 30min but we didn’t walk fast so it’s ok. Then we ate oat milk, egg, bacon and jam for breakfast. Then just 7 peoples went to kayaking. In afternoon we pack up all kayak and play water balloon fight. I don’t know who win. It was black and yellow vs orange and white shirt. Then I have to write student report.

Lemuel
Disassembled both the K1 and the K2 this morning and proceeded to pack all the water activity and unused equipment pack into the sprinters. Also played doctor dodge ball with water balloons. The students and senior leadership were on team while instructors and junior leadership on the other. The game ended really quickly since we did not make nearly enough water balloons for forty people.. This was followed by barbequing chicken breasts.

Nathan
Day 11, today Billy let us vote to either go “Man over board” or “Kyaking”. I chose “Man over board”, cuz Billy told us that “I you choose” man over board” you will be doing a Naval Seal training. “ Only a few people choose “Man over board” cuz the training was for Billy to drop us off at a random place and let us swim to shore. I total, we swam 2.6 kilometers. We had free diving for 15 minutes after the swim. BTW, Billy’s cooking is da absolute BEST.

Ethan Zhao
Camp is GREAT SO FAR… Yeah. So today was interesting…. I kayaked with BOTH HANDS MAMASITA! And to end the day we had an EPIC debate L about what game type and which team people will be in. But in the end we fought till ze end! Eh, I prefer to say we had fun. Anyway tomorrow we are off to Wonderland and Vaughn Mills.
By the way the food we are fed is great.

Tess Chau
Today (LUCKILY) there was no storm in the morning so 11 lucky, lucky, lucky people were allowed to go for a final man overboard training! (including ME!!! It was super, super hard and extra challenging! The drill that we did was invented by the military, to be more specific the navy seal! After we returned, we had an awesome lunch of spaghetti, then we started cleaning and packing up everything like the kayaks, the lifejackets, the helmets, the tents, EVERYTHING! After that we played a super game of Doctor Dodgeball/Water balloon fight! It was so fun but I didn’t get wet… L Anyways I can’t can’t can’t wait for tomorrow’s trip to wonderland and Von Mills! (It was democracy) and OMG I can’t WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!

Naomi Golin
Today was a day of freetime and packing for the only thing we did today was disassemble the kayaks and have a water balloon fight. I enjoyed the water balloon fight more because it was a really hot day and we were all exausted from packing. The only flaw that we had was that there were very few balloons for so many people. Resulting in the fight to only last 2 minutes. Tomorrow we are going to Wonderland and downtown Toronto. We may have to wake up early but hopefully it will be a great day!

Elvin
Today we had another man overboard drill, I didn’t want to go at first but fate altered me onto it’s corse. So I went, along another 12 people on the boat. We were dropped off at the same sport as last time, then our group linked up and swam to our objective, the Canadian flag on the isle. The moral was that, you must have a goal in life to advance more quicker and efficient, or else you will get confused in a mess. The drill was great, swam a little bit more than 2 km and I think that’s not bad for me. Today is the last day on water sports, I will miss them in future.

Nestor
Today I almost broke the recored to swim a navy seal style swim in monticle. But anyway mom billy is not serving us cup noodles everyday. He is cooking Healthy food for us.

Tiffany Ng
Manoverboard training, is Monticle’s most representative drill out of all the trainings. So today, I decided to push myself and challenge the ultimate Man overboard training, invented by the Navy Seals where the trainees paddle one facing up other facing down. We had a group of 5, all girls, all screaming one, two, trying to be sync. Then we spent the rest of the day cleaning and packing equiptment. The food was awesome, spagetti with tomatoe and chicken. I don’t know why people (parents) complain about such, as Monticle feeds us with uttermost care. The day ended with a big balloon fight.

Rita Chung
Today, we had a big water balloon fight. It was very fun. The students and senior leaderships were on one side. The instructors, staff and junior leaderships were on the other. Nobody won. And since Billy say that the parents think he is feeding us “bad” food I have to say that his cooking is quite good.

Kaysha Lam
Today we split into three groups, one staying behind and disassembling kayaks, one doing man overboard challenges/drills, and one kayaking. I was in the first group, as I thought the others would be tiring. Disassembling kayaks actually take long and is tiring, especially under the hot sun. We had a water balloon fight and the two teams were: black and yellow, white and orange (not trying to be racist, just the shirt color). Tomorrow we get to go to Wonderland and it should be way better than listening to university talks. The food is fine too.

Maggie
Today I woke up at the right time. (finally!) I got ready and went down stairs for PT. PT was longer today as well because we walked to LCBO like yesterday. After PT, we ate breakfast and helped pack the kayaks up. After a very hot morning, we ate lunch and hung out a bit.

Chin Ho
what an interesting day, we had a water ballon fight. I got hit right on the left arm by Billy, to be frank, it hurts. It was so fun Jennifer got hit by my balloon 3 times in a row, I felt out. Don’t worry mom, Billy’s cooking is delicious, he is not serving us cup noodles every dinner, he is making us healthy food like oatmeal. veggies, etc. I can’t wait for tomorrow, WONDERLAND. HERE I COME :D

Jason Wang
Today was an exiting day, we had our last day of watersports for Alpha formation today. We had 3 groups, one kayaking group, on “man overboard” training group and a final group which wanted to stay behind at HQ to aid in the dark clown of the equipment who had set up previously. I was attacked with the kayaking group which was lead by Allan. We visited the rapids in the morning with Samson, Ethan, Eric and Julian, After coming back from the morning water sports, we had lunch, followed by the massive camp wite clean/pack up which included the disassembly of the “K” series kayaks from Feathercraft, the washing of the other waterrafts and equipment as well as the storage of other gobals for transportations. After all that, we also had a water balloon fight which in of its self was very fun, tonight we are sleeping early as the students will be heading out early tomorrow, so the drivers and instructors will need more sleep tonight, please call during decent hours to allow these people to sleep.

Siena Difelice
Today we had 3 options for the whole day. We can either kayacking, man overboard, or taking apart the kayacks. I chose man overboard because I like swimming and we swam 2 km it was far but fun. Then we had freetime for 15 minutes. I tried so many different jumps. In the afternoon we did all cleanup. One more nate for the night. To all parent stop complaining and driving him crazy. Thank you goodnight.

Fred
Today, we learned how to disassemble a k2 and a water balloon fight. And filling up the balloons took two times longer than the game. The food here is very healthy, and we get oatmeals. and it tastes very good.

Sabrina Mak
Today, I spent the morning cleaning up the kayak and spent the afternoon hitting water balloons at everyone. Cleaning up the kayaks was one of the most tiring things I have ever done, because of the left out water inside it, we had to soak up the towels over and over again. But anyways, it only took us most of the morning to pull out the bars, clean up and put the kayaks back in the truck. After lunch, We had a water balloon fight with the instructors and leaderships. It was extremely fun, when my team (white shirts and orange shirts) had to throw huge balloons at the instructors. I got hit by one of them and m shorts were drenching all the way through. But for this day, I have experience the difference of cleaning up and doing man overboard and kayaking. But still, I had a great day and tomorrow we are going to Wonderland!!!!

Imaan Hirji
Today was a great day. We started of with an extended PT. Then we got to choose between kayaking, man overboard (teamwork activity) and cleaning up the camp. I those the man overboard drill. We had to link up in groups of 5 and swim, about 1KM. It was really hard. Then we had to push the boat for a while. After that we got some freetime on the boat where we all jumped off the boat. Then we had lunch and cleaned up the camp because we had a lot of equipment that had to get back to HQ. After that we had a doctor dodgeball water balloon fight. It was doctor dodge ball but instead of dodge balls, we used water balloons. Even though I didn’t get wet or hit anybody it was still fun. Then we had diner and a campfire. Tomorrow we’re going to Vaughn mills mall and Canada’s Wonderland. I am really excited.

Eric Lo
Today was the day that I could choose my favorite things to do kayaking and the game of throwing water balloons. When the group was voting for going to whatever they want, only 5 people chose for kayaking which was very sad.

Pompey Leung

Today is an exciting day. We go to aralle around again, we the same place-LCBO. Our Instructor Billy he take us to a far far away area then we swim to an island, that’s take 2 something km, some of them need to swim stick together. I just swim beside them to make sure they are safe, everyone success the challenge, but another challenge is swim back to the boat and push back the boat face the right way,. I learn how to due with group to make things easier, After that we have 15 mins freestyle jump.
In the afternoon, we start wash the kayak, and pack up the water sport stuffs, then we play water balloons, the game which called “Doctor Dodge Ball” It so much fun.

Nina Tan
On this day, I woke up at 6:20Am. Today, we did another entended time of physical training, we walked around 1-3km. After, we ate breakfast. Then everyone voted on what they wanted to do before lunch. I chose to go on the safety boat to do man overboard and drills.  After that, we cleaned up the safety boat and then we ate lunch. After lunch, we continued to clean up the equipments. When every was finished cleaning the equipments, we spent around 2 hours filling up water balloons and then we played games with them. After, we cleaned the water balloons and then we ate dinner. It was delicious! After, we sat around the campfire.


















































































































































4 comments:

  1. Dear Monticle,

    Looks like kids are more than enjoying summer!
    Getting jeolous^^;;
    And,, please note that Rita's last name is 'Chun', no 'g' at the end.
    ^____^ thanks-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jinna,
      Sorry for the typing mistake on Rita's family name. The Monticle Instructors are doing their very best to ensure all the kids are safe and fun, also learning at the same time.
      Thank you very much for your support.
      The Monticle team.

      Delete
  2. Dear Edwin (Cheung)
    Good to learn that you enjoy the water activities. Now that you are a Dai Gor Gor within the group, I am sure you can help out in many aspects of the programme. Your family in Hong Kong is fine, no worry.
    With lots of love
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Ingrid,
    Oh my god! After this trip, you will learn so many things about outdoor activities and will become an expert! I haven't tried kayaking myself till now. Is it very hard to balance? Can someone like dad who can't swim learn to do that? You can ask your teacher, how much is that boat in Canada? If it's not very expensive, do you want to take one back to China? Some things may seem boring when you do it, but when you think about it afterwards, you'll find it a very precious experience. Cherish every day. Love you.

    DAD

    You look so beautiful in your diving suit! Today I had dinner with Aunt Chen Ying and little sister Meng Xuan. Meng Xuan is waiting for you to tell stories about your trip in Canada. Yesterday, grandma saw your pictures, and kept praising you. She may not know how hard your work is, but I believe this activity will become a very unforgetable memory for you. Tomorrow I will have a work trip to Beijing, and I won't be able to see your blog until I come back on Saturday. Grandma, grandpa, and I, we are all very good. Don't worry.

    Mum

    ReplyDelete