Monday, July 8, 2013

Me3 Foundations – Alpha Group Day 10


Monday, July 08, 2013

Day 10
Water activities for the entire day! We had PT in the morning, as per usual. This time, we walked from the camp all the way to a LCBO about 1 KM away and back. After which we all helped searched for a missing wallet in all the cabins and around the area. Sadly it was not found. Right before breakfast started, Jennifer Wang and JJ came! They will be staying until the end of the camp. Jennifer and JJ’s parents and grandmother stayed for the day and helped out. We split into groups again and this time, Delta and Alpha went out with the Zodiac, while Bravo and Charlie went kayaking. The ones who went on the Zodiac did Man-Overboard drills, from falling off the boat, to linking up and swimming around the boat, to finally swimming (linked-up) together all the way to a beach and back after gathering up sand. The ones who went kayaking kayaked around certain parts of the lake and did Man-Overboard by flipping their kayaks. We all learned today that it is very important to communicate when working together. At night there was another campfire. Everyone had a fun time using what they learned in the Social Intelligence class of communicating with their facial expressions and actions. Tomorrow will be a busy day.

Kaysha
Day 9, July 7th, Monticle Program
We learned how to tie many different kinds of knots. Some were really complicated and the whole session took the morning. I got promoted to junior leadership (yellowship) chosen by Billy and Nina also by students’ votes. We (Alpha and Delta) got to kayak close to shore. Bravo and Charlie were doing man overboard drills.

Edwin Cheung
Today, I help up for the back up kayak and manover board. For Leadership I learned to work as a team. If you want to move forward. Later in the afternoon, we went for man overboard with Edwin Chan. Peggy, Jennifer and Alpha group. I was fun. I feel really tired. I will continue to work hard. Mom, sleep early and don’t be worry. Dad. Go out more with friend and make some more friend. Davin continue work hard . try to have a goal in life will be better. I am also happy that I get to go out. This 4 day will go really quiet. I will work hard. I would alest want to know about my report card and how I am doing. I would at least have to complete highschool.

Bridget Zhao
It was another day of water activities. Kayaking and ‘man overboard’ drill was happening once again. Bravo group and Charlie group went to kayak from around 1030 in the morning to around 1330 in the afternoon and just stayed at Muskey’s for the entire day and helped put down 2 of the 3 tents. I kayaked once or twice in the past, but not as good as I thought, but now, here in Monticle, I think and hope I got/get better at kayaking.

Ingrid Zhou
I just finish taking a shower. Today is a good day. Kayaking is very interesting! I cross a flashy stream So now I feel very tired. And tomorrow is the last day that we can do some activity on water. I feel a little sad. At first I don’t like doing any activity on water because I scared. My skin colour become darker. But now I find that I love kayaking and man over board!

Kelvin
It was a tiring day kayaking about 1.5km. I really wanted to be partnered with Kevin but L I was with Ingrid :/ I hope it would be too hot tomorrow I feel a bit concerned about one consumption of many I am speedy, the main sad part of the day was that I slammed a door against my fingers, (ring finger) it hurt. I feel a but homesick and I really want to go home L and I miss my video games.

Nicola Huang
KAYAKING was what Bravo&Charlie group did all day. We were exhausted, but, this gave us the opportunity to experience the kayaks, sightsee around the lake, and collaborating if your kayaking a in a double. Fred was my partner today. I have to admit, we were quite syncrinized. Jennifer came today! YAYY! It feels like our day’s a whole lot brighter now.

Samson Lee
Today, I did the kayaking Challenge for three hours this morning. We rode from the Muskey’s Landing Cottage resort to the cottage house. It was a bit tiring because of the wind and waves. After kayaking, I ate noodles and chicken for lunch at the Muskey’s Landing cottage resort picnic table. After lunch, I went on the kayaking again. Did you know that under the bridge was really touch because the water pushes along the waves so it was a lot of exercise today. Whenever I paddled the kayak on a windy day, I felt more painful and more muscular but some tiredless. After the kayak, my muscles got hurt and felt really tired and stressful. I had a big exciting day!

Kevin
After Billy sprayed his “First aid thingy” my leg injury recovered. Awesome, today I went kayaking for the morning and folded the tents for the afternoon. Kayaking took 3 hours, basically we made a big turn around the tall grass and came back to “muskey’s landing”. Extremely tiring.

Meagan
we had water safety for the first half of the day, and the second half of the day is clean up.

Rita Chung
Today, we did a man over board drill, but more challenging. We had to back-swim from the boat to shore, and get a handful of sand. We had to take the sand to shore. It was triky. We also did kayaking. It was triky,too, because we had to go on white water.

Maggie
Today was an okay day. I woke up really early as usual. After getting ready, we went to PT. PT was also extra long today because we walked all the way to LCBO. After PT we had breakfast then got into our wetsuits. Today we also did man over board. Then after that, we had lunch then went kayaking.

Kaysha Lam
In the morning we went out on the speed boat, and we had to do some challenges using teamwork. It was really tiring with all that kicking. After lunch, we had to go kayaking, which tired out my arms. Today was a long day.

Chin Ho
Getting hit on the head 5 times by a kayak paddle is not cool. My partner today was Samson we were kayaking around a small island when he suddenly started saying that he was really tired. I told him not to give up and continue but he just turned around and started to hit me with the paddle! I went, OUCH!!!! He apologized to me, and promised that it would not happen again. I forgave him and now, we are friends again.
Besides that, it was a really challenging day. As soon as I got back to the camp site, I wanted to pass out, I was so tired!

Nestor
Today was a really hard day because Delta swam about 600m!!! But when we swam back we had to bring sand back. But that is not the hardest part. the hardest part is when we had to paddle on a kayake 2 hours with a strong current. and I think that this is the hardest acitivity.

Tiffany Ng
“How are you? Feeling good?” was the sentence that changed my day. If you were wondering, yes. My face was pale, lips fairly white, head slightly tilting forward. I was relatively exhausted. After breakfast, and the time consuming wallet search, the staff meeting went something like this = “Tiffany, I’m a medic. You’re tired, sleep in for the day.” Billy whispered in his half recovering voice. It was decided, I’m having a day off! The day went like ZZZZZZ, = knock “ knock” “Towel change?”  “No” ZZZZZ “Tiff, come help take down the tents, thanks!” Well, Billy was right. I needed the sleep, I was literally passed out. Well, that’s pretty much my day. Tiffany Ng, IN&OUT.

Nathan
This morning was the worst morning. We picked up garbage while the other groups go on the water. In the afternoon, we went to the water. We swam a lot today.

Mireille
Today, my group has to clean up after breakfast. Then as we don’t have enough life jacket, Alpha group didn’t go into the water. We have to find Rita’s money. She lost 400$. We ate cup noodle for lunch then I went to the boat and we went near a beach for playing a game. Then I help to wash the kayak, paddle, life jacket…

Julian Ma
Today, I have to say is disappointing, only the morning, we stayed in Muskey’s looking for Rita’s wallet, it isn’t fair, we had to look for her wallet while she goes out to play, this trash took away our morning, I was mad until I ate yummy cup noodle which fills my mood. Finally, we were told to suit up at 12:00, the activity we did was tiring and uncomfortable, Billy drove us into Georgian Lake and make us swim to shore, collect sand and get back, but the boat ride was enjoyable.

Naomi Golin
Today was another day of man overboard training. Our job was to swim backwards arm in arm to a beach. Then we had to pick up sand and swim with it the same way back. From this experience, I learned that communication is important. The reason is that you need communication when you are swimming to synchronize where you are going. This is what I did and learned today.

Tess Chau
Today after breakfast, the Alpha group stayed back to help clean up the grass of dangerous items, then after that we basically lounged around until 12:00 then we had cup Noodles again. At around 1:30 we got onto the boat and we did Round 2 of the man overboard training and boy was it tiring! But luckily we did a good job so we got 15 minutes of free diving (jumping) time! It was so funny when Nathan was about to do a back jump-roll he sat down to rest then slipped and did a backflip! Tomorrow is the last day of water sports to definitely gonna enjoy it!

Ethan Zhao
OMGOSH!!!! I got into the water without the cast! But I still have to put the cast on before I sleep, just in case I hurt it in my sleep! AGAIN…. Anyway THANK YOU BILLY FOR MAKING THIS HAPPEN! We did a man overboard team work training where we have to link arms and back swim to shore; then we have to each grab a hand full of “dry” sand and yet again, backswim back to the boat (zodiac). OOH! Tomorrow I shall kayak with both hands!

Pompey Leung
Today is a wonderful day. PT time we all have a walk around from Muskey’s to LCBO, flies everywhere. After that we have breakfast. Then start whole kayak day. After that I have a whole day kayak, That’s tired! I learn a lot of thing, from my student, their communication make me so proud of their co-op are very well, so that our kayak journey is so smooth.

Eric Lo
After today’s kayaking with Samson, I found out that communication is very important. Secondly, cooperation is the main thing to success, so communication and cooperation is the key to success. Also, I need to drink more water inorder to not dehydrate. Last, staying in a group and listening to orders cans make life easier.

Fred
Today we kayak. And found out that teamwork is very important. I also learned to keep my money safely and I need to clean my room a lot better. I struggled a lot on the kayak. But it is very fun. I also learned to communicate in orders to keep the kayak going.

Sabrina Mak
I had a very great time kayaking with the instructors, leaderships and my friends. This morning, my group went kayaking for two and a half hours and I continued kayaking with Delta group for another two hours in the afternoon. At first, it was quite easy, because there was no waves, but then, it slowly got harder since the waves moved faster and faster.
My favorite part of the day was when we get to go under the bridge and across the other lake. Even though it was extremely, (yeah I had to say extremely) hard, it was actually the serious kind of kayaking when we had to always paddle forward. I hope tomorrow we still get to kayak, and I am looking forward to learning more skills.

Nina Tan
This morning, I woke up at 6:20AM. We did another long period of physical training. After, we ate breakfast. When everyone was finished eating breakfast, we dressed up in our wetsuits to start our kayaking lesson. When we all dressed up in our wetsuits, my group and the Bravo group put on the life jackets and lifted all the kayaks to the beach while the other groups (Alpha and Delta) went with Billy on the safety boat. When all the kayaks were carried to the beach, Allan (the instructor) assigned us to a kayak. When we all got assigned to a kayak, we kayaked for around 2-3 hours. When we finished kayaking, we cleaned the kayaks and then we ate lunch. After lunch, we put away 2 tents and then we had freetime and ate supper.

Siena Difelice
Today was a day where my arms died, we did 3 hour kayaking it was so long. But fun! In the water we got to choose if we wanted to capsize or not I chose to not do it because I didn’t want to get my hat or sunglasses wet. It was funny because my hat says new York princess. LOL. Then we got a lot of free time but we had to clean up the tents outside. After that Sabrina (Nina’s sister) did my hair she’s so good at it. At the end eat dinner and then might have a fire! Good night!

Imaan Hirji
This morning I woke at 6:25 for an extended PT. Instead of just stretching, we walked to a nearby store as well. After that we had breakfast. The we got ready for kayaking. We kayaked for about 3 hours. It was really hot but really fun as well. After a while we stopped kayaking near a beach were we purposely flipped over our kayaks. It was kind of scary, but it felt super refreshing after a long kayak ride. When we arrived back at the resort, we had lunch. In the afternoon we didn’t really do much. We took down the tents and just relaxed in our cabins. After dinner we’re going to have a campfire which is going to be really fun. Tomorrow is our last day of water activities. I’m excited and sad at the same time. It has been really fun.

Sabrina Tan
The end of this camp is near. It is quite bittersweet. I am looking forward to the comforting amenities that my home has to offer, yet I will miss the great friends I made here. Water activities are drawing to a close and Etiquette training and shopping are soon taking their place. So excited!

Lemuel
July 8 2013
Had a incredibly dry morning. All except my team moved out for water activities. Reason was that my team was in charge of washing the dishes and sweep the field. We were unable to move out until 12 where we did some man overboard for about 3 hours. Came back and washed the kayaks in prep for tomorrow’s packing. Now that I thinkg about it it was a dry day…

Elvin
Day 10 July 8th
Teamwork attribution is essential when working in a group, today I have experienced this fact in our another water drill. The water drill was to peddle around the boat in a group of 3 or 4. After that, our instructor told us to swim towards shore and gather handful of sand when we got back. I’ve learn’t that team adaptability is an important agent, because when we were swimming together we had to balance out our strength, in both sides.

JJ
July 8th, 2013
Well, today was interesting… I finally came back from my camp in New York State yesterday night and arrived back here this morning with my sister (Jennifer Wang), my parents and my grandmother. My sister is a black shirt and my parents, along with my grandmother, are apparently staying overnight and aiding Billy and the other instructors with the camp for a while. We (my sister, grandmother, parents and I) arrived in the morning, just before breakfast, which is when I was assigned my first job since I left. That job was to aid, Allen with his kayaking “trips” along with Pompey and Lemuel (who was later reassigned). Right before setting out, I also made another mistake. I failed to tell the other instructor, Billy, that Allen wished to remove the kayak’s “sea-socks” even though I had already advised Allen to leave the socks inside the kayaks, well, my influence decreases everyday within this group, even with my experience and skill, due to my series of past mistakes. Well, good days, good memories, bad days, good lectures. I’m going to have many good lectures for the days to come.

Jennifer Wang
I feel like I’ve been replaced. Quite frankly, I feel very out of place. Doing the blogs has always been my job, but I guess they got on pretty well without me. It feels really odd to be writing my personal blog with the knowledge that it’s not really my job anymore. I couldn’t go on the water in the morning since my parents and Grandma went on the Zodiac for a ride and apparently I can’t work in front of my mom. I was sort of offended. My leadership skills are not compromised in such a situation. Leadership skills are applicable in any situation and so I felt like my skills were being questioned and that the instructors didn’t have confidence in me. I feel out of place, really, because I arrived later and I don’t know where a lot of things are, but I feel very in the way and almost like I’m in the periphery.
It’s really great to meet all of the students in real life, after only reading their blogs. It takes a bit of effort to remember names though… >,<
I do feel very proud that I wore a white helmet and an instructor’s life jacket when I went out on the water today, though now reflecting on how bad I felt I feel like it was because there weren’t enough of the helmets and life jackets. Well, I’m hoping tomorrow I can be a bit more optimistic.














































































































7 comments:

  1. The Not Chosen OneJuly 9, 2013 at 12:19 AM

    Have confidence Jenn, I'm you'll start to fit in and put your leadership skills to good use pretty soon, you just have to be patient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chin ho: Very exciting experience?! You look good....., but have you ever changed your clothes?! Any way, I rather stop nagging you. Have fun. Both your dad and I glad to receive your call on last Sunday,what a pleasant surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Edwin (Cheung),
    Happy to see your message. I have written to RLA about the report, will let you know upon their response.
    yes, indeed we should all try hard no matter what. Time does not wait for us.
    Have you brought along the wet suit such that you can join the water activities ?
    Please keep writing and let me know how you are doing.
    Mom

    Dear Jennifer
    Greetings from Edwin's Mom. Don't you know that you are a great writer at your age ? I enjoy reading your write-up a great deal, as if you are bringing us along to the Monticle trip.
    Cheers
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Ingrid,
    I learned how to climb over the wall(Fan Qiang) But I still can't post a response by myself, so your dad is helping me do this. My daughter has turned darker, thinner, and stronger! I almost envy you! I saw you close your eyes tightly and jump into the sea, and I wondered if I would have the same courage to do that? Today I got your admission letter, and will go to register the day after tomorrow. QY stays in No.16 Middle School, so does LZY. Your score has passed the requirement of No.2 Middle School. I have a little regret that I didn't push you a little, since you have that capability. From now on, mom will encourage you to go ahead bravely. Come on!

    Miss you.
    Mum

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Julian,
    Please don't think in this way, everyone should help each other!!

    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Sabrina,
    We have dinner with your契爺,he missed you so much! I am bringing your brother and sister to Tokyo, however, your siblings are the one who guide me! I love you and have fun.
    Love mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. To all,
    Thank you all for giving us this opportunity to spend a day with you. We have evidenced almost everything happened at the camp: how leaderships and teamworks are applied, how much the details(time management, safty, education,life lessons) are carefully considered and planned ,and more. It is so great to see with my own eyes eventhough I read the blog and enjoy the photos so much everyday already.I like the Zodiac ride, but I love the way that the kids work together to achive a goal or task even more!It is an unique and wonderful experience!
    Thanks to every one who has helped us during the whole day:
    Thanks to ____who directed us to the room ,
    Thank Calvin, Ediwin Chan for helping us to the Zodiac ride,
    Thanks to Jenn, my dear, helping us put on life jackets correctly,
    Thanks to Peggy, taking the vivid photos of us,
    Thanks to ____who served us lunch,
    Thank you,Edwin Cheung, it is nice to have your company during lunch,
    Thanks to the BBQ King, Calvin for letting Nelson(Jenn and JJ's dad) assist you in doing BBQ,
    Thanks to Edwin Chan and Lemuel for saving me from wasting food,
    Many ,many more....
    Last but not least, The drama feast-oh! you guys made us day!

    To dear Jenn and JJ,
    Thank you two. You are the reason I can be here to enjoy the day.
    Since you two can read my mind so well, I don't need to say any more ,except I love you.

    To dear all other parents,
    I know you are envious of me about the ond- day Monticle experience. Don't be sad, your children will bring you tons of amazing stories of their own.

    ReplyDelete