Sunday, June 30, 2013

Me3 Foundations – Alpha Group Day 2

Sunday, June 30, 2013
Day 2
Everyone woke up and got down to the field this morning after 7 for a little bit of PT (physical training). Our Chief Instructor Billy, then continued on to talk about what we had learned on yesterday about Monticle 101, its rules and regulations. He then brought up yesterday’s bus situation. Bringing forth the students involved, disciplinary action was enacted; the students were asked to decide if they should be kicked out of the program or be given a second chance. The majority vote was for a second chance. The students involved gave a public apology for what they did. The students were taught a lecture on proper packing and teamwork skills. Teamwork skills involved carrying kayaks and up-tent / down-tent. They then all went and changed into their wetsuits and shoes and practiced water safety, which included man overboard drills. After dinner, wood was chopped and a fire was built; the students, leaderships, and instructors gathered around and had a fun time playing games. This ends this day as everything went smoothly. Tomorrow will be another fantastic day.

Julian
Today is the second day of the camp. In the morning, we had a delicious breakfast, macaroni with spam, veggie and pea, after we had breakfast I go in trouble, then we had a penalty of push ups. After, we did PT, then Lunch, then a nice warm bowl instant noodle; I ate a rotten apple for desert. After we did man overboard, and we took a shower, Edwin then ran into a rope hanging from trees, then the girls took a 13 minute shower, at this time, I wrote the blog. Yeah pretty good day, gtg cya

Ethan
Day 2
Poked JJ.
Don’t get too EXCITED.
Watched team do “Man overboard” drills.

Edwin Cheung
June, 31, 2013
Today is a busy day. Yesterday, At about 9:00 clocks. I meet Elvin a new student for Monticle. He came, We have a long talk. about what going on. We then when for along neap for sometime. I then help Meiacheal to get chair out of Sprinter. At about 4:30pm at night. We took the Sprinter and head to the Camp in Agonquine place. We go for a short stop for Breakfest, then Elvin don’t know how open clipe door. I didn’t pay attention and close the door. I should pay more attention next time. afterword we had men over board drill on the lake. then We have a Freetime. We had Chicken wing curry with spagatti for dinner. I feel very sorry about what happen.

Sabrina Tan
Day 2
Today we woke up at 6:30am which is the earliest I’ve woken up in a long time. We had breakfast and did some challenges. Then we had lunch and did some tent challenges. THEN we went to do some stuff in the water but I don’t like water so I went fishing (not really). Now we are waiting for supper and writing blogs. I’m still full from lunch. There were really gross dragon flies flying around the water.

Kelvin Pan
Day 2
I was forced to go onto the water and swim on approx. 15C I heard there would be good stuffs to eat. I really miss home.

Kevin W
30/6/2013 Day 2
                Today was defineely a better day than before. We had macaronis for breakfast and noodles for lunch and spaghetti for dinner. The water in the lake was extremely cold, although we goe to do man-overboard in the lake. Billy taught us how to build a tent, use insect repellent and how to pack your bag. PT today was interupted by the bus situation. But today it was officially announced “close-file”

Samson
Day 2   06/30/13
This morning, I had a disccusion about “How to use a bug spray” by protecting from their mosquitoes. Next, I did the kayak safety about how to lift the boat with two hands by using with their strong muscles. Then, we have talked about the hiking safety procedures of how to go on hiking with their backpack on. Whenever everybody will be going hiking, they will need to wear hiking shoes and backpacks on. In the afternoon, I went swimming on the lake for more than an hour. The swimming equipment that I have wore were the wet suit with long sleeves. Those seveal skills that I have learned in swimming were the back dive, front crawl and back crawl. My most favorite part in swimming was the back dive by using with their hands, body and legs straight under the deep end water. After swimming, I showered in the cabin no #2. I had a huge happy day!!!

Meagan
DAY 2
                I started my day by waking up, then we got called outside for PT but then Billy called six boys to the middle for a lecture for something they did on the bus, but it was so bad that we had to vote weather they stay or not. So we voted to let them stay. Then we went for water stuff, shower then dinner.
                Today was a very good day.

Nicola
DAY 2   June 30th, 2013
Today we made a vote for Monticle’s final decision of the 6 boys who were involved in a violent act. After the election, we had breakfast and a lesson from Billy. We learned how to put mosquito spray on properly, and we learned how to pack efficiently. We did some other activities such as; lifting a kayak by collaboration. We had a delicious meal and did a tent build. Following by a swim at the lake.

Ingrid
Day 2
Today is a good day. And sorry for the same beginning. And today I know what is teamwork. One powerful person can’t make a powerful team. So teamwork is important. And I am look forward to joining the activity I will join. I just finished having dinner. Noodles is very delicious and I like it very much.

Bridget
Day 2
Today was an amazing day. We had a lecture about safety, ‘mixture’ of bug spray and sun screen, built and dismantled the tent and did the ‘water drill’. At first, I thought that the dril would be hard, but it wasn’t that hard. I thought that the water was cold once we got in, but it wasn’t and I thought that today was a great day! :D

Pompey
30/6 (Sun)
At the morning, we have PT. Billy train us hard, but it is a good lecture for me, because leader should stronge their shoulder, to be a good carrier. then we have our first breakfast at the camp.
After breakfast we play some teamwork games it is a great experience to work with my partner, we learn how to co-operate with teammate.
Finally, I can swim today, and teach how to do the Free Fall, it’s fun; and learn more about water safety.

Tess Chau
Today in the morning we were ahead of all the other cabins. Everyone in the Alpha cabin was awake before 7:00, our supposed wake up time. (I’m in the Alpha group, along with Julian, Nathan, Naomi, and Ethan.) The leader of the Alpha’s is Lemuel, the instructor assisting him Mireille). After we were all up and running Billy served us all breakfast: macaroni with a sausage and some vegetables. Afterwards we had some safety lectures and some drills. Then we had free time until lunch. After lunch we had a bit more free time before we got into our wetsuits and got onto the beach for pre-man overboard training. After that we had a bit more free time for showering and hanging our clothing on the washing line as well as writing our blogs. We just finished dinner and Billy bought us Coke as a treat, and now Billy just start a fire, not sure what this is for but I’m sure we’ll have fun!

Lemuel
Ethan came back yesterday with two broken bones. Although he cannot participate in the majority of the activities, he will continue to stay at the camp. The students woke up this morning at around 7 and prepared for the day. We then had a little bit of PR followed by a lecture on physical violence. By then it was around 8 and the students were taught how to properly pack their bags with some games. Water safety was next and they learned man over board where they fall backwards into the lake. This went on for a couple of hours since everybody wanted to go several times. It was finally decided that they can go again tomorrow.

Mireille
At 7:30am we did physical training, then we play some games in which we learn to work in group. Also I learn to set up a tent. Billy cooked lunch then children went to water. I took pictures and help them to wear their life jacket. After that we set up a tent to put all the thing we use.

Nathan
Day 2
We did a lot of physical stuff. I was pretty fun and very easy. The best activity we did, was jumping into the water. That is about it.

Naomi Golin
                Today started off with personal training. The task was to lift both our arms in the air sideways for three minutes, and then up in the air for another three. This was a tiring yet fun task.
                The day before on the bus a fight broke out within six people. Today we were forced to vote whether their actions were so sevire that we should send them home. This case ended with the majority of us voting to give them a second chance.
                The third thing we did today was learn how to build a tent and pack a camping bag. I learned that to pack a bag you need to put the light stuff on the bottom and the heavy stuff on top. I also learned that you should roll your clothes to save space.
                The final thing that we did today was train for “Man Overboard”. What we did was fall backwards into the water I learned that the proper way to do that is to not bend your knees and sit down. Overall, today was a fun day.

Eric Lo
Today was such a nice day, I jumped off the deck with a straight body. The wet suit is extremely hard to wear and unwear, it almost took me half an hour to do it.

Imman
My first morning at Monticle went very well. We started the day with breakfast. Then Uncle Billy taught us how to properly pack a backpack. I had no idea how much easier it is to carry a backpack when you pack it a certain way. I guess you need that when your in the army. After learning about backpacks we did a teamwork activity where we had to hold a canoe above our heads for 5 minutes. Trust me it’s a lot harder than it sounds. After that we had lunch, then we had man overboard. We had to fall off a dock (on purpouse) and swim to the dock. Then we had a bit of free time, dinner and now I’m watching Uncle Billy light a fire. Excited for tomorrow.

Fred
Today is very fun. We ate delicious food and jumped in to water. We also went to the beack and I got covered in sand. Unfortunally someone else took over and we had to leave.

Sabrina Mak
                Today, I had such a fun time for just doing some teamwork together with my friends. I have also leant how to set up a tent and do some water safety movements in the lake. My favorite part of this amazing day were the physical training, water safety and setting up the tent. Even though it was quite tiring, bus still I have learnt more about safety and camping (like how to pack your camp bag etc……)
                During water safety, we had to fall backwards into the lake and swim backwards back to the beach. At first, I failed because of always bending my knees. But after, a few times, I finally PASS! Just learning about water safety had made my realized dangerous it could be without a life jacket on.
                It’s the end of this excited and fantastic day and I am looking forward to the coming days!

Nina
Today was a very fun day! We all woke up at 7:00AM and we started the day with physical training. When we finished our physical training, we ate our breakfast. So after eating breakfast, Billy showed us how to properly apply bug spray safely and properly and how to pack our suitcases and backpack’s correctly. After, Billy gave us some challenges where we had to lift or drag someone on our backs. Later, we ate lunch. After lunch, we build and took apart tents, then, we went to the beach while wearing our wetsuits to start practising our drills and after that, we ate supper, we ate spaghetti. It was a very fun and exciting day!

Elvin
Despite school only ended the day before yesterday, which I am extremely weary after, I made my way to this camp. After 13 hours of flight and 3 hours of bus drive I arrive, under the effect of jet lag, my consciousness was not as clear as before and I am slowly adopting the environment. It was my cousin who introduced this camp to me, I was informed that this is a camp which improves leadership attribution. This information was proven true to me as today the chief instructor of the camp demonstrated how a true leader behaves under pressure. He told the attenders to avoid public alterations in the future and taught us how to do so. I am looking forward for future activities on the following 13 days which will boost my knowledge in leadership and companionship within camp members.

Nestor
Today was a really fun day because we went swimming and did a man over board drill but the bad part is that there are so much seaweed.

Rita
Today, we had three water lectures. First, we walked into the water to see how cold the water was. Then, we swam back to shore. The water wasn’t all that cold, but the wind blew and it was so cold that my hands turned purple and white. After that, we wore life jackets and helmets and practiced falling into the water (backwards). Today was a fun day.

Maggie
Today we woke up at 6:30. We got ready and ate breakfast. Since we (Delta) were in charge of something, we had to wash all the dishes and pots. After, we had a demo and lecture about the students and the leaderships had a competition where the students and leaderships had to lift the kayaks We had lunch after that. After lunch we built tents, then took ‘em down. We then got into the wetsuits and went “swimming.” After that, we showered and hung our wetsuits up to dry.

Tiffany
It started out as a pretty decent day, when all of a sudden, my alarm clock rang. It was 6:28 and as a leader, I was supposed to wake up and be prepared by 6:30 and wake my mates at 7:00, seemed legit. After morning PT, break-fast and dish washing we had several lectures about luggage packing and proceeded to several team challenges. One required the leadership team/vs/students team to lift a kayak, one required strength and one required mental determination. Lunch followed shortly. Afterwards we build tents, used reverse engineering to take apart, then DIVED into the water (AKA lake) for water test. And yeah that’s pretty much it.

Kaysha
We were in charge of cleaning up after breakfast. Tiffany is really weird. We did morning PT. We had to build tents and take them down, which took really long. After that was swimming in the lake. Showering was after that.

Chin-Ho
What is the world is wrong with my leader? “Chin Ho, don’t take my role as the leader.” She tells me that every single hour! Don’t do this, don’t do that! SOS! If my leader is reading this blog post > (in a chinese accent) Just because you are a leader, it does not give you the right to control me! PLEASE SWITCH MY GROUP!










































































































2 comments:

  1. @Julian: I like your text speak. And yes, that does sound like Edwin. I also like how you timed them taking showers. I’m sure you can all do it under ten minutes!

    @Ethan: You poked JJ. Congratulations.

    @Sabrina: Still full from lunch? Billy feeds you well! Dragonflies are interesting. Did you know that they’re a symbol for good luck and strength? Perhaps you can keep that in mind with the man overboard drills tomorrow!

    @Kelvin: “forced?” Try not to think of it that way! 15 C may seem cold, but you can have the leaderships tell you about their own man overboard training (I’m sure they’ll have lots to tell you). Homesickness is natural, but I hope you can enjoy yourself starting tomorrow! A new face forward! :)

    @Ingrid: That’s a very important lesson that you’ve learned. I’m glad you found it worth noting in your blog! Don’t forget it when you’re given more challenges later on!

    @Eric: Your wetsuit gets easier to put on, don’t worry! :)

    @Sabrina: Yes, it is difficult at first not to bend your knees! I agree with you! I’m happy you were able to pass and that you’ve made the connection between theoretical and practical training! Put it to good use!

    @Elvin: I hope your jet lag wears off so you can enjoy yourself fully!

    @Nestor: I hope you had fun even with the seaweed :)

    @Chin-Ho: A good leader must also be a good follower. From what I’ve read, you have a strong personality, but don’t let that impede your following skills! Controlling is not what a leader does; guiding is. There is much to learn from your leader, so I encourage you to look at it from another perspective even if it is tough and even frustrating at times! You have a strong mind, so I don’t think it is like you to give up and switch to another group.

    To all of you: It sounds like you guys are learning a lot as you go and applying the skills that you’ve learned while having fun. Reflection is a big part of learning, and I would love to see more of that in your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh yes, and how could I forget?
    @Billy and Calvin: Remember, "Don't stress, don't stress! Even I have to remind myself sometimes!" You're doing great; so enjoy yourselves! :)

    ReplyDelete