Saturday, June 29, 2013

Me3 Foundations – Alpha Group Day 1

Saturday, June 29, 2013
Day 1
Everyone who slept at Monticle woke up this morning at 6. The boys started to pack and clean up the place. The girls, who slept at the apartment, came to Monticle after 7 and started to pack their own packs. Canadian students arrived at 8, went through registrations and mingled with the rest of the students. Everyone got to know one another through introductions, games and activities. When everyone had settled in, our instructors and leadership taught Monticle 101, Rules, Regulations, and Policies to the students. The School Bus arrived early, and so we left a little after noon. The bus arrived at Musky’s Landing  first. All the students were playing games while we waited for the 3 cars towing the trailer, Zodiac (the boat), and kayaks to arrive. When the cars arrived, each group got their luggage and went into their cabins and rooms. An incident occurred, causing our chief instructor Billy to leave to take care of that particular student. Thus some of the leaderships looked after the students while the other leaderships unpacked the trailer. With not enough time to setup the main kitchen, we made cup noodles and had bread for dinner. It is only the first day and so much had already happened. Let’s hope that tomorrow is more ‘smooth sailing’.
Not enough time to upload photos yet. Will get it done tomorrow.


Sabrina T.
Today was our first day. As soon as Nina and I arrived, I was informed that I would be part of the administration which is pretty cool. I was not expecting there to be so many younger kids. Today was pretty monotonous, just got settled in. I pretty much sat around all day. Looking forward to that shopping day! I’m going through some MAJOR cell phone withdrawal.

Tiffany Ng
Rain. It’s my fourth day in Canada; my third day in Monticle, and my first as an official leadership. I woke up in the morning from Hazel’s friendly licking at around 6:00AM, all packed, washed and ready to go. We arrived at the headquarters, loaded the buses and ate lunch. After a brief intro, rules and policy lecture, we were off to a long ride. Two and a half hours of constant chatter, noise and minor argument, we were all tired out. The rain stopped and delayed certain plans but the enthusiastic spirits kept everyone going. Instructors were busy unloading, leaderships keeping people under control, staff organizing everything.
                When I was in the ME3 program, I was relaxed and especially happy with the packed and busy schedule, but never saw the massive work done behind all the enjoyment. One of our fellow students broke his hand through wrestling with mates and ended up in the HOSPITAL. First day, and already saw the small part of the challenge ahead of me, what a day.

Sabrina Mak
Even though it was officially the first day of this camp, I already had such a wonderful time. I’ve made new friends so quickly and did a lot of teamwork games that were really fun. We took a long ride to Muskey’s, the place we are going to stay for 14 days. The rooms are quite small and I have swiftly realized that there were many disgusting dead insects laying on the hard, wooden floor. But still, I had a great time getting to know more about my new friends and playing more adventurous games with the whole group. Through this day, I had already learned more about safety and respect. After finding out that one of the students were injured badly because of playing arm wrestling on the bed, and had to go straight to the hospital, I now had to stop fooling around and have to behave more seriously. Realizing what the instructors had taught us about safety was really that important, and also that a small move could lead us into a very serious injury.
                It is getting towards the end of this amazingly wonderful day, and I can’t wait for the next exciting day to come and also sharing with everyone about my experience here at Monticle!

Rita
Today we took a bus ride to Musky’s, the place we are staying for the next 14 days. The bus ride was 2 hours and very boring. When we arrived to Musky’s, we played a few gamed and went into our rooms. I found two bugs in my blanket. I killed them. Today, someone went to the hospital due to a serious injury. Except for that, nothing much happened today.

Nina Tan
Today I woke up at 6:50 in the morning. I had breakfast at the hotel that I stayed at. After breakfast, I went to the headquarters at 8:00AM to start my first day of camp. After organizing, listening to a couple of speeches/presentations and finding our which group we will be joining, we all left to see the cabins. Since our bus arrived to the cabins before Billy and some other instructors, we played some games. A while later, our luggage arrived and we went to our cabin to unpack. When we finished unpacking, we came back outside since Billy had to tell us something. Later it started to rain so most of us went back inside but we all stayed in the first cabin, we started to introduce ourselves. After we went back to our cabin, we ate noodles. I also made some friends today!

Imaan
This morning I woke up feeling very nervous. I didn’t know what I was going to find at this new camp. Also, I have never been away from home for longer than a couple of days and this time I was going away for two weeks! It didn’t make it any easier that I was going to have to worry about food and if there was going to be a dog. As soon as we got to the headquarters I started to relax. Everyone was so nice and accepting that I didn’t feel out of place at all. We started the day by listening to a bunch of speeches about rules and safety. Then we boarded the bus that took us to our campground where our cabins were. I was expecting us to sleep in tents so it was a nice surprise to have proper beds and bathrooms. After we arrived we played games outside our cabins for a while. Then we unpacked and relaxed in our cabins. We then ate dinner and are now writing our blogs in our rooms. I can’t wait for tomorrow.

Maggie
Today we had to arrive at Monticle HQ at 8:00. At about 12:30, we got picked up by the school bus. I think about 2:00 or something, we arrived at the “hotel”. We got room 205. Rita found 2 bugs and she killed them. When we had cup noodles, we dumped the soup in the toilet and almost got clogged. Then we hung out and played cards. Then we went down to the cabins and now I’m writing this.

Lemuel
Long day. Woke up at 6 in the morning to get everything for the big day. We had the students pack everything for the cottage and clean the office for when the new arrivals come in. At 8 we had about 6 new arrivals come in which brings the total number of students to 21. At around 12, all the students were on the bus on their way to Musky’s landing. All equipment was prepared the day before, including but not limited to; kayaks, the Zodica, and all the food for the 14 days. We arrived at around 2 and began unloading/ unpacking everything. Unfortunately, Ethan was injured during unpacking and fooling around. We do not know for his condition currently, but we know it was not too serious. Due to his injury, activities were put on hold for tonight. Activities should resume on schedule tomorrow.

Nicola Huang
Today at Monticle, 6 new students joined in. They are all Canadians. We learned each others names, dislike, likes, and age. Immediately we all became close friends and nobody was left alone. We ate lunch together and drove to our destination; Muskey. We played some soccer and Monkey in the middle. From these games, I learned teamwork. We had to cooperate to suceed in passing the ball around without letting the monkey get it. Collaboration is the key! It rained later on, therefore we went in. We unpacked and ate. Now, we’re writing a blog. I had fun learning today with my new friends.

Nestor
Today was a boring day because all we did was travle on a bus for 2-ish hours. But I meet a lot of new friend’s but sadly my friend called Ethan got a fractured bone on the first day!

Tess Chau
Today was the first day of the ME3 Foundation program 2013. Tiffany, Naomie, Kaysha, Chin Ho, Meagan, Rita, Sabrina, Fred, Ethan, Bridget and I arrived on the 26th day of June, 3 days before of program started. All the girls stayed at Billy’s house with Vingi and the guy’s stayed al Ryan’s place. Today we left Billy’s house in the morning and drove the the Head Quarters. The boys had stayed/slept in the Head Quarters the night before. There were 4 new arrivals in those 3 days before the program started= Julian, Kevin, Nathan and Nester. But today there were 6 new arrivals, all Canadians, Ingrid, Kelvin, Maggie, Imman, Nina and Samson. After we arrived in the HQ we ate some bread provided to us and the students were all piled into a big hired schoolbus and we had sandwiches and juice boxes on the 2 hour ride, then we arrived at Muskey’s Landing. We unpacked, ate some Cup Noodles for dinner and now we’re writing our blogs! Looking forward to a great day tomorrow!

Kaysha Lam
According to the schedule, today was a “administration day and icebreakers”. We ate breakfast in the HQ. Some new people arrived in the morning. We were playing games at the HQ. We rode a schoolbus and ate our lunch in there which was sandwiches and we were given two juiceboxes. It was a 2hr drive to Muskey’s Landing Resort. We arrived at 2 or 3pm. Delta(me) and staff got to live in the “hotel”, while Alpha, Bravo and Charlie got the cottages. We played Monkey in the Middle on the grass beside the cottages. We rested in our rooms for a while and ate cup noodles for dinner, since nobody else knew how to operate the cooking stuff.

Eric Lo
Today was a pretty easy day, I had only a two hour ride, a little bit game (monkey in the middle, bang splat). And for dinner, it was cup noodles because our chief left for hospital, our chief left for hosiptal, taking care of Briget’s brother (arm) Also, a few new student came, samon, Imma… They were nice.

Chin Ho
Today was a very random day for us. I spent 50% of the time playing magic tricks and illusions with Nathan, 20% of the time playing poker and 30% of the time unpacking resting and chillin. But it is very unfortunate that im in the group delta the group member were awesome but the main problem was the leader (not going to mention who) Bossy, annoying, it was totally killing me. overall, it was a beautiful day. the grass was green, the sky is blue and the sun is bright. But As I finish writing this sentence, the sky turned Black and it started to rain.

Fred
exactally what happened today: Ethan z broke his arm, I killed bugs that layed eggs in my armpit, and I had to wait formy cup noodles for hour and a half. The sandwich bread somehow looks really really awkward. Today is terrible. It’s like a long nightmare.

Samson Lee
Day 1
Today, I approached to Monticle HQ on 250 Shields Court in Markham, Ontario at 8:00am. It was my first day at Monticle Over-night Summer Camp. My most favorite part of my overnight summer camp activities are sports and travelling. First, I have listened about the Safety rules in Monticle such as how to be safe and have lots of fun in this enthusiastic program. Then, I left at Monticle HQ at 12:15PM. At 2:45 pm, I approached at the resort in Geogian Bay. It took more than 2½ hours from Monticle HQ (Markham) to Geogian Bay on Highway 400 exit 153. Next, I played soccer with the Monticle teams such as Passing and scoring in the net with each other. At night, I ate Cup Noodles and sandwiches for dinner at the cabin resort. This dinner tasted very yummy and luscious. I had a huge fun day!!!

Ingrid Zhou
Day 1
Today is a good day. I meet lots of friends. And I can get on well with them. I feel very happy. And tomorrow we are going to do some activity in water. I can’t wait! That must be very interesting.
And we just have dinner yet. Although it take us very long time to take bus I felt happy. You don’t have to worry about me. And I miss you very much. But I am still very scare about the mark of final exam. I can’t forget it. I am trying my best to enjoy myself in monticle but I can’t. I just consider if I fail in final exam. If I can’t go to my dream high school. I hope I will feel better tomorrow.

Mireille
First day of the trip, all the student arrived in the office, we presented “101” to student and then we went to school bus and ate there. We arrived at Musky’s landing at about 2:30pm then children play ball and then we unload luggage and go rest in our room. I share my bedroom with Naomi and Tess. After dinner we write our blog with Bravo group (they came in our room to write).

Kevin Pan
Day 1
I spend the day learning french even though I don’t like french too much and I suck at it and spent 2 hours in the school bus.

Kevin W
Day 1
We left HQ and arrived at “Musky’s Landing”. We had sandwiches and juice boxes for both lunch and dinner. It was a 2 hour drive from HQ to “Musky’s Landing”. Felt like half a day. Not much from day 1, but that was quite expected. The cabins/ cottage in “Musky’s Landing” wasn’t as good as I expected.

Naomi Golin                       29/6/2013
Today was our first day of Monticle. 21 students piled into the classroom eagerly waiting to start the day.
                It starts off with just some simple games that consists of “Bangsplat”, “Rock-paper-scissor-split”, and “Reaching the end of the other line”. As the day continues more smiles appear on others faces. As noon started to approach we began to pile onto the bus, beginning our journey to “Muskey’s Landing” – our home for the next 14 days.
                Students begin to grow restless as the hours begin to pass. But finally, we arrive. After a game of “Monkey In The Middle”, we finally settle into our cabin.
                With it all going well, it is interrupted with someone jumping on the bed, resulting in a fractured wrist. With not even the safety rules enforced yet, one injury has been done.
                Today has been a great day, but we must follow the rules for a safe and fun experience.

Julian Ma                             29th, June, 2013
                Today we left HQ to “Muskey’s landing” to start the real camp, we had to pack up, clean the HQ and prepare lunch in the morning, we had bread for breakfast and sandwich for lunch, we had a two hours bus ride, we did magic tricks, chat and read books. When we arrive we did some games and we checked our cabin and unload, but I’m pretty worried because the cabin is made of wood, and it can catch on fire easily. yeah I really enjoyed the day, and I’m forward to the camp for kayaking, hiking ang games

Nathan                                 29
                Today we left HQ for the first day in Monticle. We took a group photo and got in the bus for a 2 hour ride. It was really fun. We stayed at a cabin. for the rest of the day.

Meagan
DAY 1
I woke up at Billy’s home at 6:02, then I changed and brush my teeth, after Me, Rita, Tess, Naomi, Bridget, tiffany, Sabrina and Kaysha.
Then, we had a few hours until, we got onto our school bus. The school bus ride was 3 hours. to “Musking Landing”.
But then it got really bad,
So we had to stay in our cabin.
I wish DAY2 is better.

Pompey Leung                  29/6
Today is the 8th day in Toronto, I miss my home now. But I know it I’m here to learn.
In the morning all of us wake up early at 6 something, just like what I usual do in HK. We start picking up all the stuff to the camp site. After that we have a Moticle 101 for the student. this is the first time I do presentation to kids, finish that we all ready to go.
We all arrive in the afternoon, What a amazing place it is. Unfortunately, some one broke his arm, hope he is fine. Everyone are bored due to they are tired. Hope the other 13 days will be fine.








































3 comments:

  1. 천예~~^
    예서야 안녕^, 잘 지내?! 감기는 안걸리고??
    아빠 엄마 언니는 지금 뉴욕 맨하탄이다- 여기 그랜드 하얏트 호텔이야.
    오늘 뉴욕양키즈 모자 샀고~ 천예꺼!
    즐겁게 뛰놀고 많이 배우고, 쑥 커가지고 홍콩서 만나는거야~
    사랑한다^^^^^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Julian M.,

    heyyyy it's your loving sister speaking on behalf of YY and mom haha, why are you wearing the same clothes???? and same socks too??? oh my goodness smelly feet smelly body, boy!!!!

    nah, that's not the point of our comment, hehe. We really hope you're having fun and socializing well, keep an enthusiastic attitude and enjoy yourself :) keep updating us with your blog posts, they are entertaining to read! Didi misses you! :D

    - GA ZHE Ashley, YY, and Mother Ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Imaan
    We read your blog. What an exciting first day! Aliya and Zain are missing you a lot! We are so proud of you for being so brave. Sounds like you have many adventures ahead of you. We are sending you lots of hugs and kisses from each of us- did you get them!! LOL. My BFFL! I miss your smile and laugh. Mommy.

    ReplyDelete